TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Feature Request: Enhanced autopilot 360 cameras and DVR for security

Discussion in 'Future Vehicles' started by Bargo, Oct 24, 2016.

?

I would be interested in a built-in video security system

1. Yes

97.4%
  2. No

2.6%
  1. Bargo

Bargo Member

Dash cameras are a very popular product among many Tesla owners. They can help to protect your investment. Considering the new AutoPilot self driving features. It could be the only witness in the case of an accident (your car's fault or otherwise).

I have installed a single dash cam in my Model S. However, it would be very appreciated if the new cars themselves could use their built-in 360 camera systems. Obviously, the 360 degrees of video would provide better security and would prevent the need from installing unsightly camera cables or spending hours tucking, hiding and splicing wires for a clean dash camera installation.

I would think that just about any where that my car would be parked should be legal for video recording. Your car would either be your own garage or a location that would be deemed as public. Therefore I do not foresee any legal hurdles for outward facing security cameras. Perhaps the DVR system could store video to a USB drive plugged into the cars. If USB 3.0 would not write fast enough then perhaps a HDSD port could be added?

Would this be a feature that other Tesla owners would be interested in?

• Like x 2
  2. RobTreeman

RobTreeman New Member

Yes, I would be very interested

3. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

DVR is probably doable while driving but not optimal when parked since cameras are connected to power hungry AP hardware 2.

4. wcfinvader

wcfinvader Member

Sign me up!

5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

A valid point. Presumably the nVidia hardware will consume a lot less power if it is only checking for motion and recording rather than analyzing the images in real time...

6. djplong

djplong Member

Considering that a battery the size of a matchbook powers my Sony camera for about an hour's worth of HD movie-taking (and my camera is several years old), you could probably take a couple of cameras in low-power mode, saving the video to memory for VERY little power. You don't need to activate the radar, sonar or anything else while parked.

7. DJ 240V

DJ 240V Member

When Parkerd and the key is not close by, 360 record can be triggered only if the car was "touched" , kind of like a security alarm.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

OEM/built-in video recording is my #1 feature request for Tesla that I've never seen them talk about.

• Like x 1
  9. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Tweet from Elon: "we could enable that, although the cameras use grey, grey, grey, red detection, so it would look a little greyish red :)" (Though it was more in response to recording an incident than a Surround View feature.)

So I'm not sure the cameras are up to the task that people want. I do wonder if the center rear camera is special since it is probably the backup camera so would be in full color. (Or maybe there are two cameras back there?)

10. Craig-Tx

Craig-Tx Member

I keep seeing posts discounting potential for DVR due to the cameras being grayscale. Who cares? I'm not planning on making a feature film using my AP cameras. I would however like to know where the door ding came from. I'd like to have footage of the moron that cuts me off to prove that I didn't simply rear end them. Heck, I wouldn't mind having security type of footage that showed some activity that didn't involve my car (such as a person being attacked in a parking lot.) etc. etc.

In all of these scenarios color would be nice... but a 360 degree recording view would be GREAT even if it were grayscale.

• Like x 1
  11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Totally agree.

12. xborg

xborg Member

Also, 360 camera view for parking would be great.
    Like that:

13. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Yes, want that.

Not sure it's possible without a front nose camera :(

14. Stealth MD

Stealth MD Member

I really wish Tesla had this too. Such an advanced car, and still missing a common feature that many of today's cars can be equipped with.