Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Enhanced autopilot 360 cameras and DVR for security

I would be interested in a built-in video security system

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dash cameras are a very popular product among many Tesla owners. They can help to protect your investment. Considering the new AutoPilot self driving features. It could be the only witness in the case of an accident (your car's fault or otherwise).

I have installed a single dash cam in my Model S. However, it would be very appreciated if the new cars themselves could use their built-in 360 camera systems. Obviously, the 360 degrees of video would provide better security and would prevent the need from installing unsightly camera cables or spending hours tucking, hiding and splicing wires for a clean dash camera installation.

I would think that just about any where that my car would be parked should be legal for video recording. Your car would either be your own garage or a location that would be deemed as public. Therefore I do not foresee any legal hurdles for outward facing security cameras. Perhaps the DVR system could store video to a USB drive plugged into the cars. If USB 3.0 would not write fast enough then perhaps a HDSD port could be added?

Would this be a feature that other Tesla owners would be interested in?

Reactions: Jaff and geoffreak
Considering that a battery the size of a matchbook powers my Sony camera for about an hour's worth of HD movie-taking (and my camera is several years old), you could probably take a couple of cameras in low-power mode, saving the video to memory for VERY little power. You don't need to activate the radar, sonar or anything else while parked.

Tweet from Elon: "we could enable that, although the cameras use grey, grey, grey, red detection, so it would look a little greyish red :)" (Though it was more in response to recording an incident than a Surround View feature.)

So I'm not sure the cameras are up to the task that people want. I do wonder if the center rear camera is special since it is probably the backup camera so would be in full color. (Or maybe there are two cameras back there?)

Tweet from Elon: "we could enable that, although the cameras use grey, grey, grey, red detection, so it would look a little greyish red :)" (Though it was more in response to recording an incident than a Surround View feature.)

So I'm not sure the cameras are up to the task that people want. I do wonder if the center rear camera is special since it is probably the backup camera so would be in full color. (Or maybe there are two cameras back there?)

I keep seeing posts discounting potential for DVR due to the cameras being grayscale. Who cares? I'm not planning on making a feature film using my AP cameras. I would however like to know where the door ding came from. I'd like to have footage of the moron that cuts me off to prove that I didn't simply rear end them. Heck, I wouldn't mind having security type of footage that showed some activity that didn't involve my car (such as a person being attacked in a parking lot.) etc. etc.

In all of these scenarios color would be nice... but a 360 degree recording view would be GREAT even if it were grayscale.

Reactions: number12
I keep seeing posts discounting potential for DVR due to the cameras being grayscale. Who cares? I'm not planning on making a feature film using my AP cameras. I would however like to know where the door ding came from. I'd like to have footage of the moron that cuts me off to prove that I didn't simply rear end them. Heck, I wouldn't mind having security type of footage that showed some activity that didn't involve my car (such as a person being attacked in a parking lot.) etc. etc.

In all of these scenarios color would be nice... but a 360 degree recording view would be GREAT even if it were grayscale.
Totally agree.