Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request for walk away lock - configurable horn tweet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread raises an issue I've complained about before: When I park at the grocery store and walk away, the car does not lock while I am in view of it due to the other cars in the lot. One of these days someone's going to get their car stolen by someone who jumps inside before the owner has been gone long enough for it to lock. (I don't know if the car can be driven when the phone is not in it, but your belongings could be stolen.)

That's another advantage of a fob: You get a lock button. With the phone app you have to pull out the phone, unlock the phone, launch the app, find the lock button and press it. With the Prius you just press the button on the door handle (or you can press the button on the fob.)

This whole locking and unlocking thing was obviously not well though out by Tesla in their rush to create a "futuristic" car.

Suggestion: Does the car sense when you touch the handle? If so, they could have it lock when you quickly tap twice on the handle.

This thread raises an issue I've complained about before: When I park at the grocery store and walk away, the car does not lock while I am in view of it due to the other cars in the lot. One of these days someone's going to get their car stolen by someone who jumps inside before the owner has been gone long enough for it to lock. (I don't know if the car can be driven when the phone is not in it, but your belongings could be stolen.)

That's another advantage of a fob: You get a lock button. With the phone app you have to pull out the phone, unlock the phone, launch the app, find the lock button and press it. With the Prius you just press the button on the door handle (or you can press the button on the fob.)

This whole locking and unlocking thing was obviously not well though out by Tesla in their rush to create a "futuristic" car.

Suggestion: Does the car sense when you touch the handle? If so, they could have it lock when you quickly tap twice on the handle.

Different strokes for different folks...I’m only about two weeks in but so far I like the phone as a key. As long as Tesla can ensure it is reliable, for my use case it works very well. I like getting out of the car, walking away and having it lock. A key fob would work fine but I like the phone key.

I would rather have a lock notification on my phone (only on the phone that was used as phone key, not on all linked phones with the app). The horn would be too loud at the house and I don't like to draw attention in a parking lot with a honk.

I love the phone as key, and it works flawlessly... but I would like a "chirp" (NOT a honk, very un-Tesla) when it locks as I'm walking away. Yesterday I had to walk back and forth trying to get it to realize I was leaving so it would auto-lock, then finally opened the app and locked it from there. A chirp would be great.

Reactions: favo and daniel
I hate horn honks. People can lock the doors while inside the car. However. A simple beep would work for me. Good idea

I wish I had a dollar for every time some idiot honked his horn while locking his doors after I was in bed (10 pm). My take is it's a stupid habit (pushing the fob button twice) and that only an idiot wouldn't know his door has locked. Just my two cents.

That said, if a beep (like a honk that's milliseconds in length) can make you happy without the sound traveling for miles, go for it.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
I called and made a feature request for this back in March. I asked that this be configurable (enable/disable). A couple of notes here. If your phone fails to work when you walk up, and, you have to use the key card, your car will not lock when you walk away. Driving to work you may not remember you needed your key card. For those suggesting a notification on your phone, if you park underground where there is no cell service, the car cannot communicate to Tesla and thus the app, so this will not work.

I hope they add this feature!

Agree - a chirp or a beep would work well. Not everyone's phones have worked flawlessly with my M3, especially my wife's android phone so it'll be useful to have an audible confirmation that it is locked.

When you say they don't work flawlessly, does that include locking as well as unlocking? Locking is a passive operation, the phone doesn't tell the car to lock, the car locks when it can't sense the phone. I would imagine that a faulty phone might cause the car to lock even when you are nearby, but I don't see how the car can ever fail to lock when you walk away.

When you say they don't work flawlessly, does that include locking as well as unlocking? Locking is a passive operation, the phone doesn't tell the car to lock, the car locks when it can't sense the phone. I would imagine that a faulty phone might cause the car to lock even when you are nearby, but I don't see how the car can ever fail to lock when you walk away.

It happened to me one time when the passenger door was not closed all the way. Before I realized the problem I tried to lock it with the key card, and the headlights blinked. But had I just walked away I'd never have known. Maybe the lights would have blinked after I'd walked away.