Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request for walk away lock - configurable horn tweet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree - a chirp or a beep would work well. Not everyone's phones have worked flawlessly with my M3, especially my wife's android phone so it'll be useful to have an audible confirmation that it is locked.

I hate hearing all these beeps and toots. People drive in to work, park, and the air is filled with noise. Why is is people can't LOOK at their own car and see the head and tail lights flash. Or not. My car locks. I don't have to have it phone me to tell me it locked. I don't have to have it notify the world with honks and beeps that it is now locked. THANK YOU TESLA for making it lock silently.

If I need to, all I have to do is look back at the mirrors. If they're folded, it's locked. Easy enough.

I hate hearing all these beeps and toots. People drive in to work, park, and the air is filled with noise. Why is is people can't LOOK at their own car and see the head and tail lights flash. Or not. My car locks. I don't have to have it phone me to tell me it locked. I don't have to have it notify the world with honks and beeps that it is now locked. THANK YOU TESLA for making it lock silently.

If I need to, all I have to do is look back at the mirrors. If they're folded, it's locked. Easy enough.

In a parking lot, I cannot see the mirrors by the time they close. Unless I stand at sufficient distance from my car for a couple of minutes looking back at it.

Toyota has the perfect solution: A button that locks the car. But Tesla didn't want to have any buttons, no matter how useful they are or how much they would improve the ownership experience. Assuming the car can detect when the door handle is touched, the next-best solution would be something like maybe, three quick taps locks the car.

This is an absolutely fabulous car and I love it. But they got a few things horribly wrong. Lack of a fob for locking/unlocking is one of those.

I know that at least the rear lights flash when the car locks (and you can see the mirrors fold). But when walking away from your car, you're not going to notice that (and you probably won't hear the mirror motors).

Instead, I'd like to see them offer an option to add a brief honk/some other very audible noise to indicate the car is locked. In my experience, many cars have this today. Seems like an easy config setting to add to the existing security menu.
A louder tone, louder than the one that exists now, would be nice since it can’t be heard when you are more than 5’ from the car. In the meantime I just look at my Tesla phone app to see that the car is locked.

I too would like this. I can't always see the mirrors and would rather not have to actuate those motors every time I get into or out of the car if I can avoid it. As someone said previously, the car won't autolock if your phone proximity didn't work and you had to use the keycard to get in.

Seems reasonably, although I find I can just glance back after walking 15 feet away or so and see that the mirrors are folded.

You could do that but ...

Cool guys don't look at explosions
They blow things up and then walk away
Who's got time to watch an explosion
There's cool guy errands that they have to walk to

Keep walking, keep shining
Don't look back, keep on walking
Keep struttin', slow motion
The more you ignore it, the cooler you look​

Reactions: RichXKU
For those that want the horn to honk and want another layer of confidence that the car is locked, I use my app to see if the car is locked and cant vusally see if I turned a corner in a parking garage or something. I’m am currently ok with how it is, but should be easy to add as an option. I suspect that this might be low on the to-do list??

For those that want the horn to honk and want another layer of confidence that the car is locked, I use my app to see if the car is locked and cant vusally see if I turned a corner in a parking garage or something. I’m am currently ok with how it is, but should be easy to add as an option. I suspect that this might be low on the to-do list??
Probably won't work if you're in an underground parking garage. It's not going to get LTE signal, and your phone won't be able to see anything.

Thank you! Well said....

Agreed that they should either reduce the range where it locks (and reduce the time it takes to lock) or give some other kind of indication besides visual that the car is locked. I'm always paranoid that someone could open a door before the car locks and unless I look back, I'll never know, so I always end up having to wait for it.
Agree with reducing the range. A selectable option to lock 3 seconds after the doors close would work for me.

Oliver

I think an audible notification that the car has locked is a great idea. A short beep like other cars would be perfect. There would need to be the option to disable the sound entirely for those who don't want it.

I definitely wouldn't want the sound to be the horn. A honk, even a brief one, is loud and would get obnoxious, especially if getting home late after the rest of the family is asleep. If they were to do that, there should also be a way to turn it off based on location so it can be disabled at home. For that matter, I wish there was a way to disable walk-away lock completely at home since I don't need to keep it locked while in my garage.

Now that the audible notification is here and it's just a short, quiet honk, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Out in a parking lot during the day, it's fine and welcomed. However, coming home in the silent dead of night, the honk is annoying. I wish it was location-aware and it could be disabled at home, just as I still wish walk-away lock could be disabled at home.

What I knew would happen finally happened... A few nights ago I came home in the middle of the night after many hours of work and bordering on sleep deprivation. I closed my garage and sat in the car for a few minutes to return an e-mail. Radio and AC were both off in the car, so I was in near absolute silence for at least 5 minutes. Got out of the car to walk to my door. The horn went off when the car locked and because the garage door was closed, it was much louder than usual, especially compared to how quiet it was in the garage and where my mindset was for the previous 5 minutes. Scared the hell out of me and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. (If I had a heart condition, I might have actually had a heart attack.) It's too bad the car doesn't have the hardware to produce a more pleasant beep like a Toyota. I don't want to turn it off the honk because it's really useful when going out but I wish even more now that it was location-aware.

I thought I would join this thread but this is all from before the horn beep was added to the OS. Didn't see another thread so I will post here.

I find the horn feature is not good to have beeping when the wife is asleep above the garage, but if I turn it off before getting out then it's still off when I am out and about. Can we have a "don't use the horn after bedtime" feature now?

-Randy

Adding to the pile here for a geofenced option. The beep is useful out in the world to know if it locked, not so much in the garage at home.

This would also be a great use case for Apple Watch wearers. A custom silent vibration pattern on the wrist to indicate a lock would be perfect.

Reactions: bradl
I thought I would join this thread but this is all from before the horn beep was added to the OS. Didn't see another thread so I will post here.

I find the horn feature is not good to have beeping when the wife is asleep above the garage, but if I turn it off before getting out then it's still off when I am out and about. Can we have a "don't use the horn after bedtime" feature now?

-Randy

It's just a gentle chirp ...

You have not met my wife. She cannot sleep thru anything, thus she needs to still be asleep when I am already up. I tiptoe around for the first hour or two of my day. The iPhone respects her sleep and will not make a sound until 8 am. Just looking for the same from my other expensive mobile computer.

-Randy

Reactions: RobbL
You have not met my wife. She cannot sleep thru anything, thus she needs to still be asleep when I am already up. I tiptoe around for the first hour or two of my day. The iPhone respects her sleep and will not make a sound until 8 am. Just looking for the same from my other expensive mobile computer.

-Randy

You have reinforced windows/doors etc so no outside noise comes through? Absolute silence during the night?

• Funny
Reactions: israndy

-Randy
I think far more useful is an option to not have it chirp at home. Or in any other location I tell it to be quiet (just like charge current settings, garage door setting, etc). There are plenty of times late at night in the busy city when I still want the chirp confirmation. For many folks, we don't have a security issue at home in the garage. In fact I may go a step further and ask it to not lock when in my garage. I actually find this quite annoying sometimes.... like when I head out there to retrieve something from the car and my phone was left in the office. I've never locked a car in our garage before, and don't need this one locked.

Adding to the pile here for a geofenced option. The beep is useful out in the world to know if it locked, not so much in the garage at home.
Ah! There you go. Beat me to it.

Reactions: israndy and LM-5