Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request - GPS-specific auto lock. So it doesn't lock in my garage!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's inconvenient to have to leave the key in the car all the time when it's parked at home. But that's what I try and do - take the key out of my pocket every day and leave it in the cupholder. That way, I can open the doors and retrieve items, plug/unplug the car, and get into the trunk. It knows where my garage is with the Homelink GPS - I'd love a feature that disabled auto lock in that same area so I could bring the fob into the house with me.

It's inconvenient to have to leave the key in the car all the time when it's parked at home. But that's what I try and do - take the key out of my pocket every day and leave it in the cupholder. That way, I can open the doors and retrieve items, plug/unplug the car, and get into the trunk. It knows where my garage is with the Homelink GPS - I'd love a feature that disabled auto lock in that same area so I could bring the fob into the house with me.

+1000

I realize there are a lot of "feature wants". On my list, this is one of the highest.

Page 7 users manual:
Note: If all doors are closed and you double-click the key to unlock Model S, walk-awaylocking is temporarily suspended until Model Spowers on (such as when you press the Brakepedal to put the car in a driving gear), or untilyou use the key to lock Model S. This allowsyou to keep Model S unlocked in your garage.

Feature request aside, you don't want to be leaving the key fob in the car. I'd have to look up the exact details of why, but it has something to do with the way the key fob and the car when they are in close proximity to each other, and how you don't want that happening constantly. (I'm sure if you search you can find the details.)

There is also an option, I believe, to unlock the car once you have parked it in your garage, disabling the walk-away door locks. I think if you manually unlock the doors with the fob, by clicking twice on the top of the fob, the doors will stay unlocked in your garage.

Clearly not as elegant a solution as a GPS-based solution, but one that might work for you.

All of the above is off the top of my head. I know there is something in the manual about leaving the car unlocked in your garage.

Well, well, what wonders the manuals hold:

Note: If all doors are closed and you double click the key to unlock Model S, walk-away locking is temporarily suspended until Model S powers on (such as when you press the Brake pedal to put the car in a driving gear), or until you use the key to lock Model S. This allows you to keep Model S unlocked in your garage.

Problem solved for me...

Well, well, what wonders the manuals hold:

Note: If all doors are closed and you double click the key to unlock Model S, walk-away locking is temporarily suspended until Model S powers on (such as when you press the Brake pedal to put the car in a driving gear), or until you use the key to lock Model S. This allows you to keep Model S unlocked in your garage.

Problem solved for me...

This kind of negates the benefit of keyless go. I never take my keyfob out of my pocket. I completely agree with OP. This would be a really useful feature as if your garage at home is secure you don't need the car to lock automatically.

To enable this with GPS would be really useful but I can see it being a bit tricky though. I'd like the doors to be still locked when the car is in my driveway but not if it is in my garage so I'm not sure how sensitive and accurate the GPS to differentiate the two...

This kind of negates the benefit of keyless go. I never take my keyfob out of my pocket. I completely agree with OP. This would be a really useful feature as if your garage at home is secure you don't need the car to lock automatically. .

You don't have to take the fob out of your pocket. You can put your hand (or a long finger) in your pocket, click twice, and you'll be all set.

Seriously, as I said when I suggested this option, it's not as "sexy" a solution as the GPS solution. But there were several of you posting that you "needed" a way to keep the car from locking when it was home, and some of you were talking about leaving the fob in the car, which is bad, and also requires taking it out of your pocket. I made you aware of an option, described in the manual and then excerpted by Danal, that should get 95% of the people 95% of the way to where they want to be.

Perhaps the GPS solution will happen some day, but until then double-clicking just when you want the car to remain unlocked is really not a big deal.

We have had a host of vehicle thefts in my area related to people leaving remote starting key fobs in their cars. Please don't do it even if you garage your car. I don't care if it's inconvenient to have to get your key fob out when you need access to the car at home. It's not worth your insurance deductible and the risk an escaping car thief presents to other drivers and pedestrians.

Please stop taking this thread off topic with vehicle theft chat. Start a new thread if you want to discuss vehicle theft. Thank you.

No need to shout. I'm responding to the multiple comments on this thread by people who defeat the Tesla auto-lock feature by leaving their key fobs in their car. The unintended consequences of doing so are significant enough that they deserve mention.

Biggest problem I see ... In most areas GPS accuracy(or precision) is about 10 feet. So, it likely doesn't know the difference between being immediately outside the garage or being inside the garage. And, it clearly doesn't know if you closed the garage door or not. So, this feature would introduce lots of problems. How about either double click it, or get a HPWC? Now, they could easily use the tech that Apple and Google are using (NFC or the other one whose name I can't recall) that will require you to put a small transponder in the garage, but then it will know down to the cm if it's in the garage or out, and if you put it on the door, could probably know if the door is open or closed. That would be killer.