Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Feature Request] Integration with automated toll charging systems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the SF Bay Area and we have several main toll arteries and of course, bridges. We have the automated system "Fastrak" like many in other parts of the country do, but in this particular area the Toll road charges, and Bridge Toll charges are dizzyingly complex when you meld them in with number of occupants, location, time of day etc etc. The flow chart of how the tolls (if any) fluctuate based on a myriad of factors and the location is like reading a page long ancestry.com lineage.

I think it would be amazing if Tesla EVs could integrate Fastrak or any toll transponder information and process that as indications on the screen based on GPS.

i.e. You're driving along and there are 2 people in the car (as known by the seat sensors that control climate controls, airbags...) and a chime sounds with a message on the screen that reads "Toll road, Exit XXX to Exit XXX approaching in 1 mile, 2 occupants at 4:36pm, Cost $2:50" and as you continued on that toll road it would have other messages pop up telling you the next segment along with a little number somwhere on the edge of the screen with a running tally of how much you've spent so far.

It might be very useful in places in Europe where cities will sometimes have a charge for driving into the city center, like Stockholm, and this type of tolling might become even more and more common, and confusing...

The fastrak system is updated in real time if you go to the website, so they could tap into that data for the running tallies, the running balance in your account and so on.

There have been a few times where I've completely forgone a toll road and rolled in moderate traffic, because I was unsure given all the variables if I would be getting a 50% discount, or if it would actually be completely free... Just a wish list item :)