Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request - keep car unlocked at home location

Would you like an option to not auto lock doors when car is parked at home?

• Yes

Votes: 98 81.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 18.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes please. Also, if others in the household have their phones set to use the car on occasion, when they go to the garage to get in another car, the M3 will unlock, then lock again when out of range. There should be a home geofence option so the car isnt sitting there responding to phones as they come and go from range in the house.

Reactions: Thunder7ga
Late to the thread, but heck yeah! And what? There are folks who would like this to *not* be an option? Whatever.

Reasons not to have it locked in my garage:
I'm in and out of the thing quite a lot. I get really tired of the mirrors unfolding, the music and HVAC coming on EVERY dang time I pop in to get my glasses or hat.
The charge port is always locked when I'm ready to charge or remove the connector. WHY? WHY is the port locked while I'm in my garage?

Reactions: C141medic and omkar
see, I was hoping that keeping a keycard outside but close to the car will work.

Anyway, I'm a new owner of a SR+, and found this locking/unlocking thing on Tesla trully is unnecessarily complicated still feel a bit confused.

Maybe b/c Tesla really wants us to buy the key fob for $150 each - never knew a fob is so expensive.

Yes, you can keep your key card in the car so that the car do not get locked in the garage.
My experience is that the walkaway lock feature ignores whether you leave a keycard on the center console. I discovered this when having work done at a tire shop. You have to specifically disable the automatic walkaway lock feature – or put your phone in airplane mode before you walk away – another surprise.

My experience is that the walkaway lock feature ignores whether you leave a keycard on the center console. I discovered this when having work done at a tire shop. You have to specifically disable the automatic walkaway lock feature – or put your phone in airplane mode before you walk away – another surprise.
If you unlock the door first with the card, this will work the way you expect. If you first open the door with your phone, then the car isn't so impressed with the card on the console.

Typical situation for me: Get out of car and walk to counter. Car locks. Hand card to "the guy." Guy walks to car and unlocks with card, leaves it on console. Everything works as expected. This is certainly how it works at Tesla Service.

Are the geofences specific/precise enough to differentiate between the garage vs the driveway? I would like this too, but often park outside as well so wouldnt want to risk not locking in that case.
The easy answer is that no, it is not going to be that sensitive to be reliable... if you park just inside or just outside of a 2" thick door. That's the great part about having the *option* to set it though. If your concern overwhelms the convenience, then keep it as it is. OR! Get an app that alerts you when the doors are open. The Stats app works really well in this regard, and would solve your concern with choosing to use this option that sadly doesn't exist.