Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request - keep car unlocked at home location

Would you like an option to not auto lock doors when car is parked at home?

• Yes

Votes: 98 81.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 18.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Late to the thread, but heck yeah! And what? There are folks who would like this to *not* be an option? Whatever.

Reasons not to have it locked in my garage:
I'm in and out of the thing quite a lot. I get really tired of the mirrors unfolding, the music and HVAC coming on EVERY dang time I pop in to get my glasses or hat.
The charge port is always locked when I'm ready to charge or remove the connector. WHY? WHY is the port locked while I'm in my garage?
Ha. True story that I had to share. At least it amused me. I'm reading through this thread, and come across this post from early October that I quoted above. I was excited to hit LIKE. I mean this guy is making the perfect points! Almost reading my mind.

Then realized it was my post.

This getting old thing is rough some days.

• Funny
Reactions: nvx1977
If you unlock the door first with the card, this will work the way you expect. If you first open the door with your phone, then the car isn't so impressed with the card on the console.

Typical situation for me: Get out of car and walk to counter. Car locks. Hand card to "the guy." Guy walks to car and unlocks with card, leaves it on console. Everything works as expected. This is certainly how it works at Tesla Service.
Yep, but I drove the car into place for the tire guys to take over, got out and handed them the key card and walked away to lobby. (Oops.) Minutes later the alarm goes off. I come out and unlock it and move the key card to the center console thinking it would override and walk away again before realizing that nope, car just auto-locked again. So then I opened the app and remotely unlocked it before the alarm could be triggered again. Of course now I know better.

Are the geofences specific/precise enough to differentiate between the garage vs the driveway? I would like this too, but often park outside as well so wouldnt want to risk not locking in that case.

My auto-folding mirrors seem to happen at the exact same spot.... when I come home, they fold right as I'm about to enter the garage. When I leave, they fold out right as I hit the end of my driveway. The location/timing is so consistent that it's hard to imagine that it's relying purely on GPS, which isn't all that consistent/precise.

My guess is that Tesla is using a combination of GPS and camera vision to pinpoint exactly when to activate the mirrors. So it seems like they could do the same thing with a home garage and keeping the car unlocked.

My auto-folding mirrors seem to happen at the exact same spot.... when I come home, they fold right as I'm about to enter the garage. When I leave, they fold out right as I hit the end of my driveway. The location/timing is so consistent that it's hard to imagine that it's relying purely on GPS, which isn't all that consistent/precise.

My guess is that Tesla is using a combination of GPS and camera vision to pinpoint exactly when to activate the mirrors. So it seems like they could do the same thing with a home garage and keeping the car unlocked.
Thanks for sharing Wow, that's impressive. The car could also use cellular and Wifi for better accuracy (like the phones have done for many years) I'd put my money on that before visual queues... but it is all conjecture unless they tell us! Bottom line is that they clearly have a relatively precise location solution. But if it is THAT precise, what if you park the car a few inches differently inside the garage? I just can't imagine that the location bubble could be practically smaller than 20 feet or so. But again, what do I know!?

Obviously we can adjust the summon and garage door function for distance. Seems it would be reasonable to have the "don't lock" fence adjustable as well. Here's hoping.

I don't expect Tesla to implement this, fearing "Someone stole my car because it thought it was in the garage!"

But here's the solution.
I learned of it on another thread in this forum:

Create a profile called "Garage." In that profile, turn off walkaway locking. When you park in your garage, choose that profile.

We found that we soon got into the habit of selecting "Garage" after parking in the garage. If you hear the lock-confirmation beep when you walk away, it reminds you that you didn't set Garage mode.

Our new reality: Having to take extra steps to NOT lock the car!

Thanks for the tips. I'll never get my wife to choose a profile every time she parks. I can't even get her to plug the thing in. But then she's only been driving an EV every day for over 20 years.... sigh.

As far as the trunk being left open... I've done that inadvertently (unloading at destination, and then forgetting). The car *seems* to eventually go to sleep the same as ever. The problem I see is then having my wife hop and and drive off with the trunk unlatched.

PS. I love my wife.

• Funny
Reactions: Reborn