Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request - Locking glove box?

Would you use a pin enabled lock for the glovebox?

• Yes

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • No

Votes: 32 54.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just an FYI "valet mode" will lock it.

Valet mode does not require a thief to enter a PIN code that means it allows a successful thief to drive your car away without the need to guess your PIN.

So, with the current system, you can choose:

1) to lock your glove box with Valet Mode but allow a thief to drive your car away

or

2) to use the PIN code to allow a thief to access the glove box but they have to guess your PIN to drive your car away.

...putting a PIN on the glove box sounds like a nuisance for me...

There's already a PIN option. Tesla only needs to add glove box access to that same option. That means the same PIN option will have 2 functions:

1) blocking Propulsion
2) blocking glove box access

That means, for the purpose of this thread with one single PIN option: if you can drive, you can access your glove box, and if you can't drive because you can't guess the PIN, then you have no access to your glove box.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runt8
Yes!!!! I’ve been asking for this. I’ve been putting my wallet in there whenever I visit the gym. I feel a little more secure if it requires a pin to open.
I confess I haven't actually tried this, so apologies in advance if I misspeak.

To open the glove box, you need access to the touch screen. If you lock the car when you leave, then a bad guy has to enter the car via violent means, like smashing a window. If the car is entered without being unlocked, can the bad guy even bring the screen to life? I honestly don't know.

Anyway, if they already entered the car violently, would they hesitate to rip open the glove box too?

Reactions: drtimhill
The glovebox is controlled from the screen. If the car is locked the screen is either off or displaying the Sentry Mode or Dog Mode screen. If someone breaks in by breaking the glass does the screen go to normal mode? I wouldn’t think so. So how would they open the glovebox?

my biggest complaint with the glovebox is isn’t tiny. It's super wide, but barely holds anything. The one on my BMW had 3x the volume at least.

Reactions: CharleyBC
The glovebox is controlled from the screen. If the car is locked the screen is either off or displaying the Sentry Mode or Dog Mode screen. If someone breaks in by breaking the glass does the screen go to normal mode? I wouldn’t think so. So how would they open the glovebox?

my biggest complaint with the glovebox is isn’t tiny. It's super wide, but barely holds anything. The one on my BMW had 3x the volume at least.
How many gloves do you own man!

How many gloves do you own man!

The biggest issue is the sub shade. In my BMW the sunshade fit in the glovebox. In the Model 3 the sun shade is bigger, because the windshield is huge, and the glovebox is tiny. The only place it fits at all is in the pocket on the back of the passenger seat, and even then just barely.

But would also be nice to put valuables in there like sun glasses, the Xbox controller, my digital tire pressure gauge, etc... none of that fits. My sun glasses wont even fit in there in the case because the case is so thick. I think my 68 VW Bug had a bigger glove box then this.

Acknowledging that it would be nice to be able to lock the glovebox with PIN, versus using Valet Mode which disables PIN to drive. But I didn't realize that Valet Mode locks the frunk and glovebox. That's awesome and solves a major problem I had of no adequately secure place for storing my laptop and wallet (e.g. when going running). I guess I really should RTFM the whole thing sometime. BTW, I don't use PIN to drive, so that part doesn't actually bother me.

Agree also that it would be helpful to be able to lock the rear trunk as well. I realize it's not so useful while you can access the trunk from the back seats, and it would be nice if the trunk weren't openable that way (either add a lock or put the releases in the trunk instead of the seat backs). But the aftermarket DropLock works pretty well -- I actually had my small window broken and they gave up when they encountered the DropLock. I subsequently added external stickers saying "Seats Locked" to discourage the pointless window breaking.

But would also be nice to put valuables in there like sun glasses, the Xbox controller, my digital tire pressure gauge, etc... none of that fits. My sun glasses wont even fit in there in the case because the case is so thick.
Your sunglasses won't fit? Or your tire pressure gauge? Maybe you need to check into smaller versions of those - I can keep both of those items in my glovebox, simultaneously, with no problems. The glovebox isn't really THAT small.