Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request: Recorded Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

woodisgood

Optimustic Pessimist
Jul 26, 2018
San Francisco
This would be a nice addition to Enhanced/Smart Summon, and I could see it being a lot more useful in certain cases. It's basically Summon without monitoring - which we know is going to take a while - but with a recorded driving action.

Use case: I'd love my car to be able to perform a "recorded" Summon at the tap of a button. Example: Instead of me holding down the Summon button and waiting there while my car pulls itself out of the garage (for the first time every time), I could simply tap a single button while I'm still upstairs and the car is waiting for me in the driveway.

In order to set this up, I'd simply hop in the car, hit "record" and then back out and do whatever other adjustments I wanted the car to do. This would make even more sense with more complicated maneuvers, such as backing out of a garage and pulling up to a house in a certain way, etc. or backing out of the garage and parking on the street, flipping itself in a driveway, etc. As opposed to a full FSD maneuver with associated wonkiness, it would simply perform the action exactly as the driver did when recorded. Since it could also record GPS location etc., it would ensure the "action" was only used in the same spot it was intended for.

Seems like it would be a shortcut to more complicated Summon behaviors for repeat locations (basically, home). Thoughts?

It seems that for this to work, the car would have to be in EXACTLY the same position and orientation to start the maneuver as it was when you recorded it. But they might be able to develop a mode where you provide many examples of how to perform a maneuver like backing out of your driveway, and a machine learning algorithm learns what are the important features for it.

Reactions: woodisgood
So this is exactly what the new BMW 3 series does for their automated reverse. It will back up exactly how it went forward for a certain amount of distance allowing the car to reverse itself out of a complicated parking situation. Only difference is your still in the drivers seat.

I would actually like sort of the reverse of this. We have a parking spot that takes a bit of maneuvering to get into and tucks in close to a wall on the drivers side in an ideal stopping point. It would be great if I could identify the spot and through a combination of GPS and camera reference the car could learn the spot, and auto park in it. It’s always the same exact spot, and there are some landmarks that could indicate when the car is in the right position. Recording seems like it could be good, but then you are dependent on a starting point and everything staying the same. If they were able to identify a destination to a very high level of precision, the process of pathing there in a driveway might be easier. E.g. auto park + summon + known destination doesn’t seem like a huge stretch over say a 50ft distance at 2mph with no signs or other people/moving cars.

Yeah there would need to be a way to compensate for small differences in position - and like dougb00 said, machine learning could do this, whether by learning through several recordings of the same maneuver or perhaps by combining the computer vision rules (e.g. of drivable space) with the recording of driver input. So in an example of reversing out of a driveway and pulling curbside, the car would be able to modify the action and still avoid the curb even if the action was started a few inches from where it was originally recorded and would send the car into the curb if replicated exactly.

And yes, @maketm, although all the examples that seemed immediately relevant (for me) involved reversing out of a garage/driveway, there's no reason why it couldn't be any number of complex maneuvers that people deal with at their home/work. Another example would be a repetitive swapping of positions with another vehicle. You could operate the non-Tesla while using one or more actions to control the Tesla and put it in the spot previously occupied by the other vehicle.

So this is exactly what the new BMW 3 series does for their automated reverse. It will back up exactly how it went forward for a certain amount of distance allowing the car to reverse itself out of a complicated parking situation. Only difference is your still in the drivers seat.

Similar, but I'm thinking more complicated maneuvers and the ability to "recall" them at any time, as long as the car is in the right GPS location. I'm not familiar, but the BMW setup sounds like it's literally to "undo" the position of the car.