Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request: Self-moderated Threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
Greetings,

Having run across a bunch of off-topic and outright rude comments in some threads I've started over my tenor here on TMC, I was thinking about this a bit.

I use a couple of other unrelated forums, and one of the checkboxes available when creating a thread on a couple of them is "Self-moderated thread" (or similar). Basically, when you create the thread, it put's a disclaimer above the first post stating that "This is a self moderated thread. The thread creator may delete posts that they do not want in this thread. If you do not wish to be moderated by XXXXXX in this thread, please start a new topic." or something along those lines that makes it clear that this option was checked when making the thread.

Almost every thread created on those forums has this feature enabled (why wouldn't it be...), and it seems to help out with the basic moderating tasks of removing basic spam, rude, and off-topic posts from threads without causing any issues by giving the thread starter the ability to delete other's posts in that particular thread.

I'm curious as to if this is something TMC would consider adding as a feature.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Oh gosh, if I let the rude comments get to me (and there were some good ones over the years), I'd be shriveled up in a ball in the corner.

I'd vote against letting people start threads and then remove posts because they don't like them ... you think the screams of censorship for just MOVING posts is bad? OMG. As amusing as the fallout would be, I'd vote against something like this. If there's a rude comment that you think violates the TOS, then report it.

Reactions: Krugerrand
Oh gosh, if I let the rude comments get to me (and there were some good ones over the years), I'd be shriveled up in a ball in the corner.

I'd vote against letting people start threads and then remove posts because they don't like them ... you think the screams of censorship for just MOVING posts is bad? OMG. As amusing as the fallout would be, I'd vote against something like this. If there's a rude comment that you think violates the TOS, then report it.

Oh, I don't let rude comments from random trolls on an internet forum get to me, that's not the issue. Keeping threads clean and on topic is definitely a good thing, though, without people having to wade through trash.

I certainly do report posts when I feel they've crossed a line, and I think I've personally used the report feature less than a half dozen times. But there are definitely posts that I think should be removed that I don't report (and are usually reported by others and eventually (re)moved anyway) that I would self-moderate if I had that option.

Perhaps this forum's implementation of the feature could just move self-moderated posts to "self-moderated snippiness" or something instead of deleting. Or instead of deleting just hide the post behind a click through like, "The thread started has moderated this post. Click here to view" or something if "censorship" complaining is really a concern.

I'd be opposed because I'm pretty sure some posters would abuse this ability (not intended to refer to you). Consistent moderation is best achieved by having a limited set of moderators.

Well, like anything else, it is a tool that can be used properly or in some cases abused. A limited set of moderators can abuse such a privilege as well. Other forums seem to just disable this ability for that user and/or specific thread if someone abuses it.

- - - Updated - - -

That sounds like a pretty terrible idea. Are these forums you participate in that use this feature run out of North Korea? If you had that option on this thread would you delete this post?

No, they're not in North Korea.

No, I wouldn't delete this post since it contributes your opinion on the topic... albeit with some sarcastic, but not rude, side comments (re: North Korea)

As Bonnie said the cries of censorship would be over the top. A particular person flipped out because one word was added to title claiming this made the title seem protectionist of Tesla. There are many other similar examples of people flaming out because 'their' thread was moved.

I think the general concept is nice but would be tough to implement if everyone was allowed to do it.

Sorry, horrible idea. Some posts get out of hand, and they get handled, however with something like this, thread starters would constantly be editing out content that disagrees with what they've said.

If you see an issue, report it and a mod will get to it.

As Bonnie said the cries of censorship would be over the top. A particular person flipped out because one word was added to title claiming this made the title seem protectionist of Tesla. There are many other similar examples of people flaming out because 'their' thread was moved.

I think the general concept is nice but would be tough to implement if everyone was allowed to do it.

None of the implementations I've seen elsewhere allow editing, just removing, and usually with a note saying such. One implementation simply removes the post contents and replaces it with "This post was removed by XXXXXX (Self-moderated thread)."

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, horrible idea. Some posts get out of hand, and they get handled, however with something like this, thread starters would constantly be editing out content that disagrees with what they've said.

If you see an issue, report it and a mod will get to it.

That's not the intention, obviously, and if that were the case the people posting would know they were subject to the OP's moderation when posting on the thread that has self-moderation enabled per the tag at the top of the page. They could then just start their own thread addressing their view that the original poster deemed off-topic in their thread.

In any case, just an idea, and I could see it working very well or very badly depending on the forum. I think this particular forum would fall somewhere in between the two, probably closer to very well overall.

I think the moderators do a thankless job of trying to balance things. I have searched the FAQ. I cannot find (A) who the moderators are and (B) how to report a comment that violates the rules. Is there a listing of all the moderators buried somewhere? (If so, this information should be a quick find, if not might I suggest that the moderators create one?)

I personally have a real hard time understanding all the bells and whistles that are embedded in these sorts of internet thingys. Pictures and other iconic markings are lost on me. If you remember the old game show, "Concentration," I was really good at recalling the matching squares that would reveal a portion of the rebus that the contestant had to solve. But, more times than not, I really sucked gas when it came to trying to understand the solution even with all the squares revealed. I guess I process words better than pictures. :redface:

I think it is a great idea. It gives the starter of the thread control over the tone and direction of the thread they created. Posts would still be overseen by the moderators for final say. If someone disagrees with the threads censorship by the originator they could start their own thread. It seems like a way to give a bit of ownership to the originator of the thread.

I think the moderators do a thankless job of trying to balance things. I have searched the FAQ. I cannot find (A) who the moderators are and (B) how to report a comment that violates the rules. Is there a listing of all the moderators buried somewhere? (If so, this information should be a quick find, if not might I suggest that the moderators create one?)

(A) Listing of site moderators: Show Groups - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

(B) How to report a post (not that this one should be reported :)):

How to report a post.png

I think it is a great idea. It gives the starter of the thread control over the tone and direction of the thread they created. Posts would still be overseen by the moderators for final say. If someone disagrees with the threads censorship by the originator they could start their own thread. It seems like a way to give a bit of ownership to the originator of the thread.

Which may lead to threads being created where someone says OMG this feature is SO late! Another poster disagrees, gets "moderated" by the OP for disagreeing, and then creates their own thread "Why I think this feature is ON TIME/Worth waiting for". Subsequent posts that grumble about said feature being late, would then be moderated by the new OP and they may find the original thread or start their own to gripe as well.

I can't see any scenario in which this works. The best way I could see this functioning is with a sort of "thumbs down" where posts that get marked down by a bunch of members are automatically suppressed until a moderator reviews.

I think this could work because it has a self correcting mechanism. In other words, if you are a jerk and keep deleting people's messages, you will find out that people don't want to join your topic. I would like to see a trial of this. As long as it clearly says "self-moderated topic", I don't see a problem. Participants are joining the discussion knowing their messages could be deleted. Elon seems to try things out to see if it works. That's not a bad approach.

Some people might have different criteria on how they want their topic evolve. Let's say somebody created a topic and he doesn't want similar or related subjects discussed. Right now you can't prevent this. Of course if something is completely unrelated you could ask moderators to move that message but let's say you are talking about one autopilot feature and other people start talking about another autopilot feature, you can't do anything about that. You can't just tell people to keep it on topic. You can but people won't listen and those unrelated messages will still clutter the topic.

While relaxed discussions are fine for most people, I can see some people being annoyed by this. Usually it is the high IQ, crazy researcher and obsessive type people who would be very specific about how a discussion should be. Chances are some of these people are reading the forum but are not participating. I can see why they would do that. They might have decided they don't want to argue with average people who start writing about unrelated stuff or turn discussions personal. This feature could encourage people participating in the forum who otherwise wouldn't.

Last edited:
Some people might have different criteria on how they want their topic evolve.

This might be part of the issue. I've noticed a lot of OPs seem to think they 'own' the thread, because they started it. What do the moderators do with the threads where a dozen people start the same topic? Are they all able to moderate? Or do we join a dozen different conversations saying the same thing until it's just one big mess?

I start a topic, I don't own the thread. Everyone who participates in the discussion has a right to say what they'd like to say (within the TOS) - and I don't think the conversation should be dictated by one person.

This might be part of the issue. I've noticed a lot of OPs seem to think they 'own' the thread, because they started it. What do the moderators do with the threads where a dozen people start the same topic? Are they all able to moderate? Or do we join a dozen different conversations saying the same thing until it's just one big mess?

I start a topic, I don't own the thread. Everyone who participates in the discussion has a right to say what they'd like to say (within the TOS) - and I don't think the conversation should be dictated by one person.

This.

What do the moderators do with the threads where a dozen people start the same topic? Are they all able to moderate? Or do we join a dozen different conversations saying the same thing until it's just one big mess?

Isn't this what happens now? (Examples: Elon's referal thing most recently... powerwall announcement related... etc)

Depends on the topic. Moderators shouldn't be expected to read every single thread from start to finish in order to make make a determination on whether or not it is on topic or makes sense in context or not. The "Report Post" feature appears to disallow reporting of off-topic posts. (Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.) So, self-moderated threads, where it makes sense to enable such a thing when starting a thread, makes some sense.

That said, it wouldn't be "dictated by one person" anyway. It'd be the existing moderators + one person (with limited capacity to moderate posts on that particular thread in some way).

- - - Updated - - -

I think this could work because it has a self correcting mechanism. In other words, if you are a jerk and keep deleting people's messages, you will find out that people don't want to join your topic. I would like to see a trial of this. As long as it clearly says "self-moderated topic", I don't see a problem. Participants are joining the discussion knowing their messages could be deleted. Elon seems to try things out to see if it works. That's not a bad approach.

This is exactly how the other forums I frequent have implemented this and how it has worked out.

While there are many adults on this forum who would be perfectly capable of consistent and fair moderation, there are also a very large number of posters who have demonstrated they would not be capable. You haven't seen the large number of reports from some forum members who take any disagreement as snippy or 'unnecessary escalation' or decide something is off-topic (when it really isn't).

So then what? Then moderators have to decide who can and cannot moderate threads? They have to go clean up a thread after a zealous OP started deleting anyone who disagreed? And if mods started taking away privileges, then there would be posts from hurt forum members about how they weren't good enough. Just a mess.

Totally against this idea, sorry. It's not personal.