Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Spotify Account based on Driver Profile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Issue: My wife and I have our own Spotify accounts. Whether she is driving or I am driving the Spotify account does not change. As a result my Spotify curation is being ruined by my wife's country music (that's right, ruined).

Request: Tesla, please let the driver profile determine the Spotify account to use.

Workarounds:
1. My wife can connect her phone and use Spotify through bluetooth. Issue with this is now we are using data from our mobile carrier rather than using the car's connection. Would rather not do this as it's an additional cost.
2. In the car, going into the Spotify menu, signing out of one account, and signing into the other account. Issue is that's a lot of typing we'd have to do.

I get it first world problems. But that's why we bought a Tesla ;)

Maybe another option I have not tried is to create a third account for car use and share the playlists to that one.

This is actually a good idea...

My wife doesnt drive my car very much, but when she does, I have her use spotify over bluetooth on her phone to avoid the problem OP is talking about. Our music tastes are not "that" different, but we do have some different favorite songs, etc. We have a sort of "family rule" that whoever is driving gets to listen to what they want to, since they are the one driving.

Anyway, I have unlimited data so not concerned with data usage, so using it over bluetooth "solves the problem" for me, but I pay for spotify family but there are only 2 of us. It was cheaper to do family than two individual accounts, and we only started using spotify when tesla added it to the car interface.

I certainly could create another account on the family, and follow both of our playlists.... then we could just select the appropriate one for whose driving, etc.....

I think its a great idea and may set that up. Thanks for suggesting it. Very simple idea but because I considered this a "solved issue" with the "use bluetooth" work around, I never gave it more thought.

This is actually a good idea...

My wife doesnt drive my car very much, but when she does, I have her use spotify over bluetooth on her phone to avoid the problem OP is talking about. Our music tastes are not "that" different, but we do have some different favorite songs, etc. We have a sort of "family rule" that whoever is driving gets to listen to what they want to, since they are the one driving.

Anyway, I have unlimited data so not concerned with data usage, so using it over bluetooth "solves the problem" for me, but I pay for spotify family but there are only 2 of us. It was cheaper to do family than two individual accounts, and we only started using spotify when tesla added it to the car interface.

I certainly could create another account on the family, and follow both of our playlists.... then we could just select the appropriate one for whose driving, etc.....

I think its a great idea and may set that up. Thanks for suggesting it. Very simple idea but because I considered this a "solved issue" with the "use bluetooth" work around, I never gave it more thought.
Thanks! Please share how it works out. We haven't used Spotify enough for us to have a family plan yet.

You guys, this is a great idea :) I didn't think about being able to follow the playlists we have already created in our individual accounts. That'll make things easier to play the songs we each like and we won't ruin each other's Spotify recommendations. Will update with how it goes.

You guys, this is a great idea :) I didn't think about being able to follow the playlists we have already created in our individual accounts. That'll make things easier to play the songs we each like and we won't ruin each other's Spotify recommendations. Will update with how it goes.

Thanks! Its going to be a bit before I get to it myself, but it "should" work as its a fairly simple solution that I had not considered as I mentioned. My wife doesnt drive my car much (she says its "too fast" lol, and she has an X3 M40 so its not like her car is "slow"), so its not much of an issue but it seems like a really good solution provided you have the extra spotify account to "donate", so to speak.

EDIT;...

Thinking about this more, I may set this up sooner rather than later, since it might solve another problem (first world one but ...).

Since each spotify account can only be used on one device "at a time" I run into an issue where, If I am listening in my car, and go to transition to my phone + headphones, I have to walk through selecting the device. Same thing if I am listening to music at work, then hop in the car. Sometimes I have to go through selecting "spotify", then playlists, then the playlist I want, because that seems to force it to switch to the "car" as the device.

Having a separate account would totally mitigate that issue, and since I am paying for spotify "family" but its just my wife and I, I might as well use another one of those accounts I am paying for.

Thanks! Its going to be a bit before I get to it myself, but it "should" work as its a fairly simple solution that I had not considered as I mentioned. My wife doesnt drive my car much (she says its "too fast" lol, and she has an X3 M40 so its not like her car is "slow"), so its not much of an issue but it seems like a really good solution provided you have the extra spotify account to "donate", so to speak.

EDIT;...

Thinking about this more, I may set this up sooner rather than later, since it might solve another problem (first world one but ...).

Since each spotify account can only be used on one device "at a time" I run into an issue where, If I am listening in my car, and go to transition to my phone + headphones, I have to walk through selecting the device. Same thing if I am listening to music at work, then hop in the car. Sometimes I have to go through selecting "spotify", then playlists, then the playlist I want, because that seems to force it to switch to the "car" as the device.

Having a separate account would totally mitigate that issue, and since I am paying for spotify "family" but its just my wife and I, I might as well use another one of those accounts I am paying for.
Good point about switching devices for your own account. For families who have more than one vehicle that use Spotify, they'd need an account for each car so the cars can play music without interfering with each other.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I just learned of Spotify Duo Premium option, which makes the decision to have a third account for a car less straightforward than if there were a couple who were already using a Family plan that had up to 6 accounts.

True, but I think its new, only includes 2 accounts and saves like $2 a month. If I wasnt already signed up for a family plan, I would likely use that one, but now that I am, im not sure I want to "convert" to it to save $2 a month, because converting accounts usually gets very messy with online services, in general.

The Family Plan approach is good, but unless they've fixed it recently, there was a deficiency in the Spotify client in the car where it won't show playlists you've made Collaborative. So you can log in as the car from a normal browser or app, find your and your wife's accounts, and follow your pre-created playlists, which will then show up in your Playlists section in the car client. But if you share any collaborative ones together, those won't show up in the car client. There's an IFTTT integration that might let you keep a few different accounts' playlists merged that I need to dabble with.

I've been trying to find a happy ground for Alexa at home, the car, and me and my partner. None of the solutions are great when it comes to keeping your favorite songs in sync across all of them while still being able to listen from multiple places at the same time. I wish Spotify Family would let me say that my account can be used on up to 3 devices at a time and take up 3 of my slots, for example, so I could use my phone to DJ my multi-room music during parties, without being unable to listen at the gym or in the car when someone at home decides to play music.

One other potential option I'm surprised hasn't been brought up yet, if you're not too attached to Spotify in particular, is one person could use Spotify in the car, and the other use Slacker. That way you can each have your own music preferences, and not have to mess around with bluetooth.

One other potential option I'm surprised hasn't been brought up yet, if you're not too attached to Spotify in particular, is one person could use Spotify in the car, and the other use Slacker. That way you can each have your own music preferences, and not have to mess around with bluetooth.
I set up my Spotify account in my husband's car. He's content with the free Slacker. One morning, I was listening to Spotify at home. He drove his car. I lost Spotify access. It wasn't obvious to him which service he was using and I didn't want him to be distracted by that while driving. I switched over to another music source at home.

Issue: My wife and I have our own Spotify accounts. Whether she is driving or I am driving the Spotify account does not change. As a result my Spotify curation is being ruined by my wife's country music (that's right, ruined).

Request: Tesla, please let the driver profile determine the Spotify account to use.

Workarounds:
1. My wife can connect her phone and use Spotify through bluetooth. Issue with this is now we are using data from our mobile carrier rather than using the car's connection. Would rather not do this as it's an additional cost.
2. In the car, going into the Spotify menu, signing out of one account, and signing into the other account. Issue is that's a lot of typing we'd have to do.

I get it first world problems. But that's why we bought a Tesla ;)
Yes please. Switching accounts manually is usually just not worth it. Seems pretty straightforward to have the Spotify account tied to the driver profile.

This is a problem with Spotify itself. There has been a request submitted to Spotify to update their "Family" account to allow multiple streaming here:
[All Platforms] Single account, multiple sessions
This has been closed as too few people voted for the option.

I created another issue that was closed as a "duplicate" of this issue, which addresses Tesla's specifically. Bottom line - even with the API Tesla can't integrate with features Spotify doesn't support. My request is here:
Re: [Playlists] Family plan for families that live together - Status changed to: Closed - Doesn't Meet Requirements

Please vote for this feature to get this question over the 100 needed votes for Spotify to even consider this. Once it's implemented, then Maybe Tesla can update the app - if they even need too.

From my perspective, the most important changes are: Don't stop the stream on my computer, when my wife is driving my car. #2 centralized playlists, so that no matter who is in the car, their choices of music are represented in the Playlists. (IE if my kids are in the car, I can add their preferences to the mix).

Thanks!
Ken

• Disagree
Reactions: Tundrok