TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

[FEATURE REQUEST] Turn off Auto-Dimming Mirrors

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Jedi2155, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

I wish Tesla would allow us to turn off the auto-dimming mirrors especially if there is no cars behind us. It makes the side mirrors useless at night. AFAIK, it turns on/off based on time which means its software controlled and possibly turned off.

• Like x 6
    • Disagree x 2
  2. Leopold Stotch

Yes. Also control of ALL interior lights. Tried to watch meteor shower in MX at night can’t see out windshield as all the interior lights won’t turn out! Ahhhh. Need a meteor shower mode!

• Funny x 1
  3. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

The Model 3 allows us to turn off the ambient interior lights as well as the door lights.

• Like x 3
  4. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Better yet, let us adjust them to be less dark if possible.

• Like x 4
  5. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

Agree, steering wheel and door open/window buttons are all very very dim at night. Would be nice to have a slider to adjust.

• Like x 2
  6. GuyDude

GuyDude Member

Yes!!

• Like x 1
  7. tlr1000

tlr1000 Member

In case anybody hasn't gone through the manual, here's what it says:

Except when in Reverse, the rear view mirror automatically dims in proportion to the level of glare from the headlights of a vehicle behind you.

The driver’s side mirror automatically dims in low lighting conditions (for example, when driving at night or through a tunnel) in proportion to the level of glare from the headlights of a vehicle behind you (except when in Reverse).​

Agree with above that full manual control would be best. At least if a pre-selected level of dimming could be chosen from 0 to 100%, that would be best.

• Like x 1
  8. GuyDude

GuyDude Member

The biggest issue with the auto-dimming is when I enter my parking garage!! They are so dim I can’t see behind me. Takes way to long for them to return to normal state

9. brobinson

brobinson Member

I disagree, I don't think that the auto-dim function is nearly as sensitive as it needs to be. I find myself in situations where I have excessive glare from all 3 mirrors far more then it turning on when it doesn't need to.

As others have noted, it is not time driven. Its driven by something sensing glare on the interior rear view mirror.

• Like x 3
  10. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

My biggest issue that the small border area that doesn't dim - I always seem to get a reflection from those right in the eye (mainly from the rear-view mirror).

11. miketc

miketc Member

is there a way to turn them ON? they don’t ever come on when I need them to...

• Like x 1
  12. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

No problem with them here, they work great and do the job they were designed for.

• Like x 2
  13. CCIE

CCIE Member

I'm fairly certain the the auto-dimming mirrors in my M3 are strictly time-based. At sundown they go to maximum tint. Driving at dusk I'm often annoyed that the mirrors are not tinted at all, even though I have someone behind me with bright headlights. And, in full darkness with no one behind me, I'm often annoyed that the mirrors are at full tint and I can't see anything behind.

I would very much like the mirror tint to adjust based on headlights behind me, and I would like a manual control to let me enable/disable and vary the tint level.

On the same subject, this is the only car I've had with auto-dimming mirrors that has a 1/8-1/4" non-tinted "frame" around the tinted mirror area. Very annoying.

• Like x 3
  14. DeusExMachinist

My mirrors are always dimmed at night. No other lights anywhere and they are still dark. Makes it a pain to park in the early morning and I can't see anything while driving.

• Like x 2
  15. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

If only they work the way described in the owner's manual. That seems more aspirational that actual.

• Like x 1
  16. reheat

reheat Member

For those who feel the auto-dimming mirrors being too dark, do you have window tint and to what percent?

17. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

No aftermarket tinting.

18. Glamisduner

Yes but the problem was still there without tint. Now it is just a little worse. I only have 35%

19. ranova

ranova Member

I got 70% tint the front side windows and 30% the rear side windows and rear window. However, even prior to tinting I thought they were too dark, especially the sides, which is unnecessary. In all the years I've been driving, never once I have I been blinded by my side mirrors. The front side tinting actually didnt have any noticeable effect since I rolled down my windows half way to compare the dimming

What I did was unplug the dimming wire going to the side mirrors and bought a Broadway replacement rear-view mirror. Once Tesla lets us control the dimming, I'll replug them back in.

20. Glamisduner

I used to get blinded by them all the time in my cars without auto dimming mirrors and no tint. I mean the way people have illegal and maladjusted headlights or use their high beams you should be getting blinded :) I would often move my mirrors in, or just hold my hand up to block the light. Still this cars mirrors do not function properly.

• Like x 1