Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Feature Request] Turn off Auto-Dimming Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my car tinted with 15% Llumar. Curious to see how it will be at night with the auto dimming now

This would be a great feature to have. I've never had auto dimming mirrors on any of my past cars

Just got my car tinted with 15% Llumar. Curious to see how it will be at night with the auto dimming now

This would be a great feature to have. I've never had auto dimming mirrors on any of my past cars

You won't be able to see anything when parking. I have 25% Llumar and the mirrors are useless at night now. If I had known just how bad it was going to be...

Thats why I'm happy with my 35% tint and was really concerned about anything under....

I had 35% in my last car (Golf R). I had no problems with the mirrors and the tint at night, but I can't really make a fair comparison since the R didn't have dimming mirrors... Are the Model 3 mirrors supposed to lighten up when you put the car into Reverse? I've never noticed this happen, and you literally can see nothing out of the window (25%) + dimming mirrors on the car at night unless you have a MASSIVE amount of street lights.

Just took my car for a drive. I could see great out of the mirrors... until they dimmed... and it was pure darkness.

I assume this is how to do it?

Like the video above? Didn't understand it

no, all of that is very unnecessary. The mirror glass simply pulls out, move the mirror all the way inboard so you can fit your fingers behind and then pull, they will pop out. Unplug the connector for the dimming feature (there are also 2 wires which provide the heating which you want to leave connected) and secure it somewhere in the housing. Then just press the glass back into the clips.

for the rear view mirror you need to pop off the lower plastic housing and unplug a similar connector. This video shows how to do it

do not remove the larger upper housing area which starts at around 2:00 in the video, it’s not needed to access the dimming connector and it’s quite annoying to get it back on once removed.

They seem to adjust annoyingly slow, so when someone is behind you with their highbeams on you get blinded, but if you want to see what is behind you and there are streetlights or other light in the area, it is too dark to be useful to see much except maybe other headlights. Makes checking for cyclists when I turn at night quite sketchy.

no, all of that is very unnecessary. The mirror glass simply pulls out, move the mirror all the way inboard so you can fit your fingers behind and then pull, they will pop out. Unplug the connector for the dimming feature (there are also 2 wires which provide the heating which you want to leave connected) and secure it somewhere in the housing. Then just press the glass back into the clips.

for the rear view mirror you need to pop off the lower plastic housing and unplug a similar connector. This video shows how to do it

do not remove the larger upper housing area which starts at around 2:00 in the video, it’s not needed to access the dimming connector and it’s quite annoying to get it back on once removed.
which is the correct wire to unplug? do you recall? thx

I wish Tesla would allow us to turn off the auto-dimming mirrors especially if there is no cars behind us. It makes the side mirrors useless at night. AFAIK, it turns on/off based on time which means its software controlled and possibly turned off.

Interesting. Model 3 must be quite different from my 2015 Model S, which in my opinion does not dim the mirrors enough! I find the auto-dimming feature to be weak, not cutting out enough light from behind.

They do a great job of keeping me from being blinded by the car behind me but at the same time they are so dark that I can't see anything else in them. I'm always a bit worried when I'm changing lanes and so sometimes I drive with the rear camera up on the screen.

Edit: I don't have tint.

My mirrors are always dimmed at night. No other lights anywhere and they are still dark. Makes it a pain to park in the early morning and I can't see anything while driving.

Wonder why I just noticed this in my 3? But yes. This past month it’s been driving me crazy cuz I’ve been just driving down the street and I’m the only car on the road. So I’m like why the F are my mirrors all dimmed? I guess I never noticed it because during non Covid times I actually drive from work and on the freeway, so there’s other cars around. Now. It’s winter. Getting darker sooner. And I’m driving down the street. So I’ve noticed it’s all dark!

this needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
My mirrors work seamlessly. I didn't even recognize they were operating until I saw the thin undimmed edge. The manual has been already quoted. Both mirrors dim proportionately to rear headlight glare in lower light levels. They are not on or off or controlled by a timer. I have never seen a manually controllable dimming rear view mirror. When you tint your side windows it screws up the plan for what the system wants to show you. The inside rear view mirror will see what you see.

I thought mine worked the way they’re suppose to for 2.5 years until this winter! LoL try driving down a dark street by yourself. No other cars around and report back. During Non Covid times I’ve always was driving back from work. With other cars.

Wonder why I just noticed this in my 3? But yes. This past month it’s been driving me crazy cuz I’ve been just driving down the street and I’m the only car on the road. So I’m like why the F are my mirrors all dimmed? I guess I never noticed it because during non Covid times I actually drive from work and on the freeway, so there’s other cars around. Now. It’s winter. Getting darker sooner. And I’m driving down the street. So I’ve noticed it’s all dark!

this needs to be fixed.
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's just certain cars, but mine does this all the time and it's kind of dangerous and annoying. Before the side repeater camera update I HATED backing up in my friend's rural property at night. The mirrors would always be completely tinted and I couldn't see anything at the sides of the car. Pretty much had to rely 100% on the backup camera, which isn't ideal at all. It's weird too, because every other car with autodimming mirrors I have driven will cut out the autodim effect when in reverse, but mine won't.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's just certain cars, but mine does this all the time and it's kind of dangerous and annoying. Before the side repeater camera update I HATED backing up in my friend's rural property at night. The mirrors would always be completely tinted and I couldn't see anything at the sides of the car. Pretty much had to rely 100% on the backup camera, which isn't ideal at all. It's weird too, because every other car with autodimming mirrors I have driven will cut out the autodim effect when in reverse, but mine won't.

so mine will cut out the auto dim when in reverse. It just slow. I’ll be 3/4 way up the driveway by the time the auto-aim is off.

I wonder if it was the latest update that affected my auto dim now. Cuz I swore i never noticed it as dark.