Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Feature Request] Turn off Auto-Dimming Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon stated we’d get control of this in an update. I’m hoping the V11 holiday update rumored to be coming on 12/22 introduces this, because it really is annoying. And needlessly so.
Any updates on the software controlling dimming mirrors? That’s the same issue why I decided not to go through with the purchase of Model Y... I really wanted it but it was awful to drive it at night in the downtown...now I’m just waiting for future improvements...

Any updates on the software controlling dimming mirrors? That’s the same issue why I decided not to go through with the purchase of Model Y... I really wanted it but it was awful to drive it at night in the downtown...now I’m just waiting for future improvements...

Nope... Elon hasn't said a word since saying it was coming...

Disappointed to say the least, but c'est la vie.

My initial reaction getting my 3 back in 2018 was OMG I can’t see! I’ve since gotten use to it and it’s not actually THAT bad.
There are so many other things I absolutely love. I don’t expect to see this changed anytime soon.

My initial reaction getting my 3 back in 2018 was OMG I can’t see! I’ve since gotten use to it and it’s not actually THAT bad.
There are so many other things I absolutely love. I don’t expect to see this changed anytime soon.

Yeah for me I have to park really close to the right side of my garage. I can't see anything in that back right corner while parking at night, even with my passenger window down. It's a bit nerve-racking, thinking I'm going to rip off the side of my car... If I had control of my auto-dimming mirrors, it would be awesome. Tesla could even offer a location-aware mirror toggle in the settings, where they stay undimmed around my house/garage.

A boy can dream...

Reactions: AdamMacDon
So the dimming mirrors work even in reverse? I thought it was federal law they don't. ALL my current and previous vehicles cut off power to the mirror in R. But yes, it's annoying not having a button to turn it off. In some cars, you can disconnect the connector behind the mirror, and if there's anything else on the mirror, problem solved. But those are few, and Teslas are not included. Fortunately, the camera is pretty good, so that feature wouldn't be nearly a deal-breaker to me, but to each his own, of course :).

So the dimming mirrors work even in reverse? I thought it was federal law they don't. ALL my current and previous vehicles cut off power to the mirror in R. But yes, it's annoying not having a button to turn it off. In some cars, you can disconnect the connector behind the mirror, and if there's anything else on the mirror, problem solved. But those are few, and Teslas are not included. Fortunately, the camera is pretty good, so that feature wouldn't be nearly a deal-breaker to me, but to each his own, of course :).
I'm not sure if it's legislated, but almost every car I have driven dims when in reverse except the Model 3. The wiring diagrams suggest there is a wire for dimming the mirrors in reverse, but I have experienced many times when I am in reverse and can't see anything out the mirrors. Might be a software issue or something.

It should be very easy to fix with an update then. I'm not 100% sure not dimming in reverse is mandated, but it only makes sense. It can be dangerous not to do it, so surprised Tesla is risking liability by not doing it. Hopefully somebody at Tesla will read your thread :).

You can unplug a cable to disconnect the dimming on the back of the mirror. It is a separate wire from the heater, so it won't affect that.

Also, the mirrors un-dim when the car is in reverse. It takes a while, so unless you stop and wait with the car in reverse for a bit, you are likely done parking by the time the dimming has noticeably disappeared.

You can unplug a cable to disconnect the dimming on the back of the mirror. It is a separate wire from the heater, so it won't affect that.

Also, the mirrors un-dim when the car is in reverse. It takes a while, so unless you stop and wait with the car in reverse for a bit, you are likely done parking by the time the dimming has noticeably disappeared.
Thanks for method of correction. Where is the cable exactly if you don't mind me asking?

New MYLR driver here who learned the hard way reversing. Elon gave me a curb rash. Thankfully it doesn't itch much, but medication is expensive to get rid of it

Adding top the OP's request, not just turn off but change the amount of dimming. The dimming is so damn strong that I can't tell what's behind me by the shape of the lights anymore. To be able to raise or lower the amount of dimming would help greatly for the for thhe rear and side mirrors.

Reactions: Oddmanout
Adding top the OP's request, not just turn off but change the amount of dimming. The dimming is so damn strong that I can't tell what's behind me by the shape of the lights anymore. To be able to raise or lower the amount of dimming would help greatly for the for thhe rear and side mirrors.
This will be especially useful for varying levels of window tint

Reactions: thesmokingman
My 3 has V11 and it is just below those two options. 🤷‍♂️
Sort of surprised, but it seems tesla is customizing the software updates.
No tint option.
PXL_20211231_001033737.jpg