Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request - Use Tesla App to Detect Key Card on Center Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never seen talk of this and couldn't find it in a search, so here goes...

I've run into the situation a few times where my phone wasn't able to connect to my Model 3, so I used my key card instead. No problem--enter the vehicle, lay my wallet on the center console, tap in my PIN and drive off to my destination (in one case a parking deck far away from my hotel)

After arriving, I got out of the car, locked it with my phone and went inside.

The next morning, as I'm gathering my things to leave, I didn't immediately find my wallet. Questions race through my mind: Did I accidentally throw it into one of my bags? Did I leave it at the restaurant the night before? Did I leave it in the car 15 minutes away?

Hence, my feature request. Ability to open the Tesla app and see the presence or absence of a key card laying on the center console.

At that moment, it would've been great to be able to open the Tesla app and see if my key card (and thus my skinny wallet) was laying on the center console. If yes, I could enable sentry mode and then make my way there as soon as possible. If it's not, then I can continue searching other places for it.

Thoughts? Others having the same experience?

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
Couple things.
If you tap to open the car you shouldn't have to tap the console unless it's been X number of seconds. Unless this differs when PIN to drive it enabled.

With the latest APP update if you're running an android phone that has NFC you can use your phone to tap where you'd tap a key card. At the camera and at the console. This wasn't mentioned widely, but it does work... at least in the US.

Also, while I understand the question, you do know you don't have to leave the key card on the console yes? Just tap it to drive and put it back in your pocket, or compartment, or whatever. I'd imagine with it sitting on the console it would slide around?

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and MP3Mike
In my experience, only a tap of the keycard at the center console/armrest area is needed to get the car going, and you don't need the keycard laying there during the drive. That's probably why this is not a feature request people talk about much (or ever).

That aside, I do think it is a good idea for the car to notify the owner if a keycard is left in the car while there's no one in the driver seat for a prolonged period of time.

In my experience, only a tap of the keycard at the center console/armrest area is needed to get the car going, and you don't need the keycard laying there during the drive. That's probably why this is not a feature request people talk about much (or ever).

That aside, I do think it is a good idea for the car to notify the owner if a keycard is left in the car while there's no one in the driver seat for a prolonged period of time.

No way for the car to know. NFC is Near Field Communication. You've got to be within like 4cm of a reader for the car to even know the card is inside. I suppose if it is indeed setting on the reader then yeah.

Where was your phone when it wasn't working? If it is in my back pocket, I often have to turn around and wait a few seconds.

I think that this isn't a big issue, because if you have your phone to see that the keycard is left, then you wouldn't need the keycard.

Couple things.
If you tap to open the car you shouldn't have to tap the console unless it's been X number of seconds. Unless this differs when PIN to drive it enabled.
If I tap to open, I still have to tap the console. PIN to drive is enabled. Keyless driving is also enabled.

With the latest APP update if you're running an android phone that has NFC you can use your phone to tap where you'd tap a key card. At the camera and at the console. This wasn't mentioned widely, but it does work... at least in the US.
I have an iPhone.

Also, while I understand the question, you do know you don't have to leave the key card on the console yes? Just tap it to drive and put it back in your pocket, or compartment, or whatever. I'd imagine with it sitting on the console it would slide around?
I do know this. But this is a wallet that's usually kept in my pants pocket. Once I sit down in the car and tap the card, it's uncomfortable to put the wallet back into my pants and less than ideal to drive with it there in the first place.

Where was your phone when it wasn't working? If it is in my back pocket, I often have to turn around and wait a few seconds.

I think that this isn't a big issue, because if you have your phone to see that the keycard is left, then you wouldn't need the keycard.
Once series-of-events example:

My iPhone 8 running iOS 13.3 (but same goes for my iPhone XS running iOS 13.3) is in my pocket. The car is locked and doesn't always auto-unlock.

I take it out of my pocket and open the Tesla app (3.10.3) . Car is still locked. App shows Model 3 as 'waking up', but the app is still greyed out and displaying old info from the last time the app was opened. The car is still locked.

I give up on the phone and use my key card to enter the vehicle and sit down. Then I lay my wallet on center console. (Putting it into my pants pocket after already sitting down in the car is less than ideal.)

Last edited:
This is not my experience. I get in and am ready to depart in about 10 seconds. When attempting to put the car into D or R, I get the PIN and key card pop-ups on-screen.

I don't use PIN, possibly that is an issue.

One correction though- you have 30 seconds, not 120 seconds, to press the brake to turn on the car after unlocking with the key card.

Basically any time you "scan" the card- be it unlocking, or at the console, you get a 30 second window to "start" the car and if you wait more than 30 you need to "scan" it again.

Model 3 owners manual said:
Once inside, power up Model 3 by pressing the brake pedal within thirty seconds of scanning the key card (see Starting and Powering Off on page 50). If you wait longer than thirty seconds, you must re-authenticate by placing the key card near the card reader located behind the cup holders on the center console. When your key card is detected, your 30 second authentication period restarts.

• Love
Reactions: Deslah
Once series-of-events example:

My iPhone 8 running iOS 13.3 (but same goes for my iPhone XS running iOS 13.3) is in my pocket. The car is locked and doesn't always auto-unlock.

I take it out of my pocket and open the Tesla app (3.10.3) . Car is still locked. App shows Model 3 as 'waking up', but the app is still greyed out and displaying old info from the last time the app was opened. The car is still locked.

Do you try opening the door 15 seconds after you take it out of your pocket? Or do you immediately head to the app? Try a little patience.

The basic issue is Bluetooth when unlocking the car with phone. The car has to hear you strongly and Bluetooth can easily be disturbed by your body or things in a purse.
And if the car doesn't have cellular connectivity, you can't open remotely.

Do you try opening the door 15 seconds after you take it out of your pocket? Or do you immediately head to the app? Try a little patience.

The basic issue is Bluetooth when unlocking the car with phone. The car has to hear you strongly and Bluetooth can easily be disturbed by your body or things in a purse.
And if the car doesn't have cellular connectivity, you can't open remotely.
If I am to stand outside the car for 15 seconds, I can use the key card much faster. Most people would agree that it's not desirable to stand next to a car door for 15 to 30 seconds waiting for it finally unlock. The phone is in a front pocket by itself. No disturbing metals of any kind and not in a purse. But sure, patience is often a good thing to have.

If I am to stand outside the car for 15 seconds, I can use the key card much faster. Most people would agree that it's not desirable to stand next to a car door for 15 to 30 seconds waiting for it finally unlock. The phone is in a front pocket by itself. No disturbing metals of any kind and not in a purse. But sure, patience is often a good thing to have.

I didn't say that you have to wait 15-30 seconds all the time. I said have you ever tried it?
It's a test to see if the phone and the car are actually talking to each other.
I know that there are times that I can walk up to the car quickly from certain directions and have to pause before the car opens. But then other times it's opening as I push the handles in.

Sorry--yes, I have tried it. There are times when I've stood for over a minute and nothing happens. Other times, I walk up, wait for a while, then I open up my phone and I hear the car click as it wakes up due to the phone being opened.