Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request: valet mode by key card/fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to designate a card or fob as a valet key card. When I hand it over to the valet, it automatically enables valet mode whenever that key card/fob is used to open/lock/drive the car. And when I use my own phone or key card, it automatically disabled valet mode. Seems like a pretty simple option to add to the key card settings. Could also work for handing your key card over to a family member...

I'd like to designate a card or fob as a valet key card. When I hand it over to the valet, it automatically enables valet mode whenever that key card/fob is used to open/lock/drive the car. And when I use my own phone or key card, it automatically disabled valet mode. Seems like a pretty simple option to add to the key card settings. Could also work for handing your key card over to a family member...

How is the car supposed to know when you "hand the keyfob or keycard" to a valet? it would have to be with you, present in the car (in a purse / wallet) right? It would only be able to start valet mode when used to OPEN the car, unless you have some other idea?

If you had to tap the keycard or actuate the fob in order to "turn it on" for valet mode how is that any different from going in the phone app and toggling the valet mode on there? Same amount of work.

When you had the keycard to a valet, even if it was enabled as the "valet keycard" the car would still be running under YOUR keycard, so the valet mode would not be on. As I said, even if the keycard was only for valet mode the would be zero way it would "know" you handed it to anyone, and it would have to be present in the car for you to hand it to someone, so the car could not "automatically" connect to and use that card without you taking some action.

Once you are taking an action, its much easier to have the phone app be the device that turns it on, since you are almost never going to give your PHONE to a valet.

Failing to see how this would work in any way thats any simpler than what they have now.

I like the idea. To generalize a bit, it would be great if driver profiles could be linked to keycards/fobs/phones, so different profiles would be automatically activated depending on what you use to unlock the car. Since valet mode is just a special profile, it would work for that too ...

I like the idea. To generalize a bit, it would be great if driver profiles could be linked to keycards/fobs/phones, so different profiles would be automatically activated depending on what you use to unlock the car. Since valet mode is just a special profile, it would work for that too ...

exactly, I think jjrandorin missed the key point of designating a separate valet keycard. I wouldn't tap the valet card to turn on valet mode, the valet would do that when they unlock or drive the car. I would keep my own regular keycard in my wallet.

Reactions: cwmagui
exactly, I think jjrandorin missed the key point of designating a separate valet keycard. I wouldn't tap the valet card to turn on valet mode, the valet would do that when they unlock or drive the car. I would keep my own regular keycard in my wallet.

I didnt think I missed the point, but your point was not "I want the keyfobs to link to to profiles" as I saw it. The valet profile is a special one that behaves differently.

As I said, if a keyfob was linked as a valet key specifically, I spelled out the problem I see, which is, unless you give them the key, get out, lock the car, and immediately ask them to unlock it with that key, they will be driving the car UNDER YOUR PROFILE as thats the one you pulled up with.

When they bring the car back, it would be under the valet profile, but as they drive off, it wouldnt. So, I dont think this helps your original "ask" which was specifically for valet key. Even if they activated that, its of questionable benefit from what I see, which is why I asked for you to explain what work around there would be for the valet key situation that would not be just as slow as going in the app and clicking the button.

Now, if the discussion has moved from valet keys to linking keys to profiles specifically, that I am all for (and my BMW does that already). Linking a key to a specific driver profile would save a couple of steps, or, if you are like my wife and I (6'3 and 5'6), if she drives the tesla, when it adjusts from easy entry to her profile when I get in it, I get somewhat crunched, until I select my profile.

I just dont see how it helps in the valet situation for the reason i stated.. which the TL ; DR version is, since you arrived driving under your profile, when you hand the key to the valet and they drive off, they will still be under your profile unless you make them lock and unlock the car before they drive off.

I'd like to designate a card or fob as a valet key card.

Do you mean like the old valet keys other manufacturer's have/had ? Like a separate key card that is designated only as a "valet" key card or some other profile, possibly in a different color so it can be easily identifiable ? I had to leave a keycard with the body shop for two weeks and I wondered if they changed any of my settings or disabled any of my active phones, fobs, keycards.....so I can see the benefit of this if it could easily be done......Those body shop techs know way more about Tesla's than the Tesla employees.

I didnt think I missed the point, but your point was not "I want the keyfobs to link to to profiles" as I saw it. The valet profile is a special one that behaves differently.

the TL ; DR version is, since you arrived driving under your profile, when you hand the key to the valet and they drive off, they will still be under your profile unless you make them lock and unlock the car before they drive off.

Yes, it's tying a key card to valet profile.

I suppose our workflow disagreement depends on how quickly the valet gets in the car and whether the car allows shifting into drive mode if the phone is out of the car. I thought if I left the car and handed the valet key card to the valet, the car shouldn't shift into drive without the valet tapping the keycard on the console.

one somewhat strange problem about people searching this website, then going and marking posts "agree" or "disagree" in zombie threads, is that because the firmware of the car changes, the way things operate change over time. The way something operated in the past may not be exactly how it operates now, but sometimes people go into zombie threads from over a year ago, then start marking posts like or disagree with statements that may (or may not) have been correct back then, but likely have changed now.....

Like @cwmagui going into this post from over a year ago, and marking "disagree" with 2 posts I made a year ago on a feature that has changed since then. profiles are linked to keys now, but were not back then when I wrote this post.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
Same person went back and disagreed with a post of mine (elsewhere) after I disagreed with a post of theirs. It was obvious that it was "retaliatory" as the post I disagreed with was a response to my post that they later went back to and disagreed with.

one somewhat strange problem about people searching this website, then going and marking posts "agree" or "disagree" in zombie threads, is that because the firmware of the car changes, the way things operate change over time. The way something operated in the past may not be exactly how it operates now, but sometimes people go into zombie threads from over a year ago, then start marking posts like or disagree with statements that may (or may not) have been correct back then, but likely have changed now.....
I removed all my ratings from this thread once I saw this post LOL!