TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Feature Suggestion - Automatic Trunk opening

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by pete8314, Aug 19, 2012.

?

Automatic Trunk Opening

1. Great Idea!

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Not for me

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. Good concept, needs tweaking...

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

This is a suggestion borrowed from the latest Ford Escape, where if you have the keyfob in your posession, you can go up to the trunk, wave your foot somewhere under the rear-bumper, and it opens. the theory being if you have your hands full of shopping, you don't have to put stuff down to find the key or press a button. Although, honestly, I'm not sure this a a feature that would get used much, it does have that 'cool' factor, and Ford are certainly using it in their marketing.

For the Model S, since there's an HD camera and motorized truck opening (with tech package), I figured that it would be able to sense the key, and 'see' that you're stood at the back of the car, so would pop the trunk if you stood there, still, for more than a second. I'm assuming there's a dedicated sensor for the rear of the car, I beleive that's the 'norm' for keyless-entry cars.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Good idea and it should be easy to implement in a software upgrade.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

No, I don't want the truck to start popping open because I walk too slowly around the car or I stand near the back of the car talking to someone during "Tesla Time".

4. goyogi

goyogi Member

Maybe they can incorporate the intelligence of the Kinect and see if you are doing the pee-pee dance it will open it.

5. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Not quite as described, I think. That Escape system has a sensor to look for your foot waving under the bumper.

6. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Since Model S is an EV, just turn on the rear camera and pop the trunk when someone approaches and stops directly behind the rear bumper for a second or two (there's another patent for you TM!). No need to wave your foot and fall over.

7. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

Instead of doing a dance, how about a mic tied into the voice control system?

Me: Open the trunk bay door, Tessie.

Tessie: I'm afraid I can't do that Dave.

Me: You gonna be singing Daisy!

[ door opens ]

8. strider

strider Active Member

BMW has this too. I think it's a fantastic idea. Really allows the "handful of groceries" scenario to work.

9. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Obviously, like everything else, it should/would be a user-configurable option.

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

:confused: Why does the poll have a "Not for me" option then?