TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Feature suggestion--Beep when locked

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by efusco, Dec 5, 2012.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Find that I'm still having just a little trouble trusting that the car is locking itself when I walk away. You have to be far enough away that the auto-lock will work and once you're that far away, unless you're at just the right position, it's hard to tell if it locked...and you look a bit silly standing there "admiring" your car in the grocery store parking lot!

I think it would be good if they programmed in a short "beep" like you usually get when you lock a car with a remote...just for some reassurance as you're walking away.

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It's about 30 feet. I know exactly when to turn around in my usual parking spot at work to see the lights flicker to confirm the locking. You'll get used to just trusting her to be behaved while you're gone.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Probably right, but a beep couldn't hurt.

4. MitchL

MitchL S#945

I listen for the contactors to click (when the car locks and goes to sleep, you hear a click-click sound and the lights flash). I agree with the suggestion, though -- a beep would be a more positive sound, and something you'd be able to hear more easily in a noisy environment.

While we're thinking about locks, I'd like the car to _not_ lock if I walk away when I'm at home. I leave the car in the garage, and I usually don't lock the car when it's in the garage. Once I get the new firmware it won't matter as much, theoretically.

/Mitch.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I've heard this request before. If a door is not closed all the way you will not know it failed when locking while walking away. Make it an option.

6. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

One thing I loathe is when a cars HORN sounds (once to lock, twice to unlock) ... on my Lexus and Leaf, it makes a very subtle beep. Hope this is what you mean.
    Why can we* not lock it til we're 30 feet away.

(We as in you ... wishful thinking that my car had already arrived!)

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Another way would be to have an "unlocked" light on until it locks (it's hard to hear the beep from 10 m). This could be as simple as the DRL LEDs and top brake LEDs (the ones at the top of the hatch) turn on when the driver exits and the door is unlocked and then go off when the car locks.

8. Liz G

Liz G P03056

Evan,
    There is a thread on the Teslamotors site forum that Rod and Barbara started where people can list software enhancements they would like to see and others can rank those suggested enhancements. You may want to add this suggestion there. Note it is a private thread.

I'm attempting to attach the link here. Hope it works.
    Prioritized-Enhancement-List | Tesla Motors

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

A beep could hurt, but a setting to make it optional would solve that. :)

10. Zextraterrestrial

It would be nice to have is programmed to the passenger seat sensor. That is the only place the door is left cracked. If you have a passenger it would sense them and turn on the beep when locked feature - please!

Other thing needed - programmable max motor power and regen - like the yellow limiter bar that you get around 30 mi range left. I want to be able to set it where I want it (for safety purposes :wink: I think my retinas might to detach soon)

11. bosgig

bosgig Member

I wouldn't begrudge the request, as long as I can disable it!!!

12. efusco

That's a brilliant idea! Why not, the GPS tells the home link when to work, could do the same for the auto door locks!

Evan, Via Tapatalk

13. efusco

Absolutely!

Evan, Via Tapatalk

14. strider

strider Active Member

Just walk away. Seriously. My Corvette had this feature and in a few weeks you'll just walk away. Shortly you'll be able to use the mobile app if you're prone to worrying. I hate cars that beep or honk or make any annoying noises. The car is a computer, it will work the same way every time. Of course if you drive a car without this feature later you will walk away and forget to lock it :p

15. efusco

I'm guessing you don't have kids that sometimes don't completely close a door? I'm sure ill gain complete confidence in time, I'm already much better, but a brief beep is no big deal, every car w/ remotes does it.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

16. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

There are a few things that people testing the iPhone app can't talk about but will just say it will be less of an issue once the iPhone and Android app are out. It should still be an option if it is possible but I'd prefer a soft beep than using the horn which I've never liked.

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The same soft beep that they put on the left turn stalk bright flash switch! Nice pedestrian warning. :)

18. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Basic principle: Agreed. A not-too-loud beep--something I can listen for. Reasons why "just trust" is insufficient are above, so I won't repeat them, but I'll add--anything can break, computers can actually fail due to bugs (else why would half the solutions to display glitches be "reboot then it stops"), etc. ;-)

And yes, optional, of course. Does anything need to be non-optional, since it's software-based?! :-D

19. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

You're kidding right? I was trailing a bicycle downhill on a rainy day and I'm SURE he couldn't hear me, and was not inclined to look around. I thought about honking but decided that was rude, so I just let him go 20 mph until the bottom of the hill, then I pulled around him. He looked at me like "Where do YOU come from?"

So we really do need some kind of sound less than a HONK but still would not scare the %##$^ out of a pedestrian or cyclist that had no clue we are behind them....

20. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

No I'm not kidding. A pedestrian warning sound is something that I've wanted for the Roadster for three years now. A slight sound that goes burp when you pull to flash the brights. I believe it should be an industry standard on all Electric vehicles. If Tesla makes it the same sound as a Model S locking confiremation beep then we are 1/2 way there.