TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Feature Suggestion - Home Link Geo-fencing

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by pete8314, Aug 13, 2012.

?

home Link Geo-fencing

1. Great idea!

44 vote(s)
    86.3%
  2. Lame Idea!

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Mods - I figured as the cars start rolling out we're all going to have some future feature suggestions, so I'm suggesting this as the standard format (title: "Feature Suggestion - xxxxxxxx", with a simple poll, so that hopefully the well-received ones will bubble up to the top, and get some attention from the folks at Tesla. If you can think of a better way, I'm all for it.

For Home Link, as the car is Geo-aware, it would be very useful to store your 'home' location. Then, as the car is within, say, 100yrds from home, and on a logical route to the house (i.e. not in a nearby neighborhood that has no through roads to the house) a little prompt appears on screen that says:

auto open warning.png

Assuming the driver does nothing, the car activates Homelink once within a reasonable range, and their garage door is opened by the time they get to the driveway.

I realize Homelink can be a bit hit and miss (it is for me, at least), but it works the first time around 90% of the time. A follow-on dialog box could also pop-up after the first activation, saying:

auto open check.png

2. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

#2 gjunky, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
    Something similar was suggested in the App thread.
    I would prefer the open button for Home to show up on the screen when I get close to my house but I don't want it to automatically send the signal, especially since it is an open/close toggle. It would be fine if it simply put the button on the screen for me so that I wouldn't have to go through any menus. Make it go away again as I drive away.

Edit: Here is the link to the thread:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7900-Model-S-Apps

3. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

I hate calling this a "lame"idea, it's just not something I'd want. I visit neighbors all the time on the way home, and don't want to have to remember to not open the garage door, or I may choose to park in the driveway if I don't need to charge. There may be a dozen reasons why I don't want to have the door open automatically, and I don't want to have to remember to not open it. This seems like "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Regular home link works fine and I open my garage when I want. Why would we monkey with this? As long as I can open the garage door from my car without going through a bunch of screens, isn't that good enough?

4. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Maybe...for me it would be super handy, but maybe I'm the exception rather than the rule, that's entirely possible :)

5. AndyM

AndyM Member

Me too. Automation should pop the screen up with the button ready, but not automatically open for me.
    Better yet, have a voice prompt: "would you like to open the door now?" "Yes, HAL..."

Can you add a third poll option: automate the option, not the opening action?

6. AndyM

AndyM Member

Very nice prototype screen, by the way!!

7. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I don't think I can modify the poll, but I have other ideas, so will work on a 3rd otion along the lines of "Like the concept, but would tweak the functionality'

8. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

The wonders of PowerPoint, nothing special :)

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I agree that it makes more sense for a homelink button to pop up on the screen when I approach my house. That would be very handy. Automatically trying to trigger the door - not so much.

10. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

OK, so something like this then, that appears as you get close to home, but no action unless the Open button is selected....

Auto open v2.png

11. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Voting yes, with the proviso that I would prefer that it just reveal the button, but not auto-send the signal, at least as an option. If it could raise the suspension at the same time for my steep driveway, so much the better. ;-)

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That works. I might not want to go into the garage right away (check for mail, etc.)

13. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I think it would be a nice OPTION. I realize not everyone would want this on, so having the ability to disable it would be cool. Homelink also has 3 buttons usually (and all of mine are programmed), so perhaps, another alternative could be that it pops up with larger buttons so that you can quickly open the door. It could get annoying popping up in your face, but at least it offers more options than just opening one door, and nothing gets done automatically.

14. Arnold Panz

That's definitely cool. As AO notes, I could use a couple of buttons because I have two separate garage doors (each single car with a column in between -- definitely not a practical design by the builder, but it looks nice) and sometimes want to open one or the other.

15. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Good point, quite a few of the houses around my way have 3 garages, and either a single and a double, or 3 single doors. How's about this, probably assuming that 3 buttons only appear if 3 doors have been configured.

Auto open v3.png

16. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I'm in the camp of: somewhere in the settings, allow this auto-pop dialog as an option, as AnOutsider says. When enabled, the car displays the prompt when approaching home, allowing you to cancel it or to trigger the door open/close. But I agree with others--never open the garage door automatically.

And I'd like the dialog to dismiss itself after 10 seconds or after the car departs the "home" zone, so I don't have to address the prompt if I don't want to.

And, Edit: Nice mockup. Clean, readable design.

17. AndyM

AndyM Member

That's what I'm talking about. :) PowerPoint or not, it looks great.

18. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I'm trying to get close to the format Tesla have used, inspired by the photos taken by Mike K, i.e. this one.

19. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

thank you sir. I used to mess in PowerPoint all the time, but now my job barely calls for it, so I have to get my kicks elsewhere :)

20. Arnold Panz

Perfect! Sign me up!