Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Suggestion - Home Link Geo-fencing

home Link Geo-fencing

• Great idea!

Votes: 44 86.3%
  • Lame Idea!

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be nice if this can be extended to any place where you've programmed an opener into homelink -
parent's house, kids' house, country club gate, etc etc
Only the appropriate button is presented when you get close to the door.
Since it's all software there should be no limit, right?

Another suggestion for remote opening for the roadster is rather than selecting the remote screen and then the open button then the home button (3 presses). Just have the select button automatically transmit all locations (Home, Work, Etc.). This would save two button presses. You could hold the button for selecting the location and programming screen.

Another suggestion for remote opening for the roadster is rather than selecting the remote screen and then the open button then the home button (3 presses). Just have the select button automatically transmit all locations (Home, Work, Etc.). This would save two button presses. You could hold the button for selecting the location and programming screen.

For what it's worth, it's not three presses on the Model S. There's a HomeLink button right at the top of the screen. Tap it and the menu of programmed buttons drops right below it.

Automatic activation of a homelink feature could simply be configurable in the car settings screens. Having it set to automatically turn on my house lights (at night) and open the garage door is something I would appreciate.

Mods - I figured as the cars start rolling out we're all going to have some future feature suggestions, so I'm suggesting this as the standard format (title: "Feature Suggestion - xxxxxxxx", with a simple poll, so that hopefully the well-received ones will bubble up to the top, and get some attention from the folks at Tesla. If you can think of a better way, I'm all for it.

We're doing some reorganizing of different areas of the forum, including adding some subforums - Model S will have a number of sections, one is planned for wishlists.

I have 2 garage doors at both my home and office. If it did that, both doors would open each time I pulled up. Seems a bit of a waste...

I like it! I would 2nd all of those who would like the option to 1) not have it do this at all and 2) simply bring up the dialog box with the button (that I would then need to press manually) as some times I pull into the driveway but don't want to go into the garage.

Great mock-ups!!

I vote for automatically opening unless the "don't open" button is pushed. With these features:
  • In the setup screen you can decide to have it pop up or not and just open. or,
  • You can push the top button MikeK mentions to immediately open the door (override the 10 seconds) the door and the pop-up goes away.
I often drive up to a solar powered gate off the main road. There is never a time when I would drive up to or even drive past our gate without wanting it to open. I usually drive up to it pretty fast so 10 seconds would be an eternity to wait for it to open after getting in range.

Last edited:
I voted "great idea" but my caveat, as with others, is options and flexibility. auto-open/prompt me/don't even prompt. Plus those options for all three homelinks, with the ability to tie each to a diff location. Etc.

Overall, groovy ideas and groovy mock-ups. ;-)

You need to get the neat gadget I got for my garage called the AutoCloser (www.autocloser.com). It always makes sure your garage is closed.

Ooooh, and they're having a 'winter sale'! They're about 5 miles up the road from my current location, and it's high 90's outside, they have a funny idea of winter :)

I can control my doors from my iPhone using Homeseer and a couple of z-wave modules, it works well, though I'm about done with Homeseer, it's long overdue for an upgrade. I'll be adding another IP camera when the Tesla arrives, so I'll be double sure it's closed :)

Find a 5' Corn Snake hiding under your Roadster and you definitely never forget to close the garage door ever again....:eek:

corn-snake.jpg