TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Feature suggestion: HUD for autopilot and other functions?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by SteveW25561, Nov 2, 2015.

1. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

#1 SteveW25561, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    Although I don't have autopilot in my classic S85, I'm thinking that the next version of the cars should really have heads up displays.

A flashing red light for collision warnings (we had this on our 2012 Ford Explorer -- it was just a red LED strip that would flash at the base of the windshield with an audible alarm in a collision warning) would be good to have.

In addition, a nice HUD showing the current autopilot lane tracking lines, etc would be a very easy way for users to keep eyes forward, and not have to scan up and down to the instrument cluster to be sure the road ahead is what the car is actually tracking.

I don't have real world experience but I'd imagine AP users are scanning up, down and around while in AP mode. This would make for a safer and more comfortable experience, I'm sure.

2. Dzanda

Dzanda Member

I'm a big fan of HUDs, and I would love to see a good implementation in a Tesla. And I think that Tesla is the company that could do it, and do it well.

3. BertL

BertL Active Member

I also loved the special-ordered HUD in my former Lexus RX450h, and declared I'd never have another vehicle without it... but, here I am with my MS.

As I was researching my decision to order my MS not that long ago, I was basing my decision on the 6.2 interface, and found the IC was visually clear enough I'd be OK without seeing major things like speed, Nav turn indicators, and emergency items straight in front of my field of vision as I had become accustomed to -- they were extremely clear in the MS IC using color, contrast, and such. The lack of a HUD was one the things I considered a negative with MS, but in the scheme of all the plus and minus items, did not stop me from ordering.

Unfortunately, 7.0 has become a bit more problematic for me with much of the speed, primary Autopilot indicators on either side, and driving indicators (like the new HOLD symbol), now being blocked by the steering wheel in their top-of-the-display and extreme left/right corner positioning... (I and others have described this in other threads here on TMC -- and no, those of us with this challenge are not aliens :)). If Tesla does not relocate some of the critical UI elements for me and others that have voiced a similar concern, a HUD is the only alternative which I know can never magically appear on my less than a month-old MS. As much as I love my MS, without being able to see critical UI elements as I don't right now, I must already declare I'll have to consider alternatives when the time comes to replace my MS one day. My shoulders are not comfortable with seat and steering wheel adjustments as they are (or the many variations I've tried) even on short rides, let alone a road trip that I so enjoy. Trying to create the best compromise of everything, I still only see the lower half or third of the speed numbers without acting like a parrot and moving my head and neck in strange ways up and down to see the top part of the IC. For me, improving that is an imperative, with either a UI change to relocate some elements, or addition of a HUD that made my Lexus driving experience the past several years so enjoyable and effortless.