Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Features I'd like to see

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep thinking that I'd really like to see reverse cycle air conditioning. It wouldn't be too difficult to implement although it would be a little more expensive. It would react faster than resistive heating and uses much less energy so heating would have much less impact on range. The problem with reverse cycle is that they lose efficiency at low temperatures as they have to transfer heat from the outside air to inside the car but new hot water heat pump systems like those made by Sanden use CO2 as a refrigerant (ironically) can operate effectively well below zero degrees C. They do operate at higher refrigerant pressures so it would require some minor re-engineering.

I keep thinking that I'd really like to see reverse cycle air conditioning. It wouldn't be too difficult to implement although it would be a little more expensive. It would react faster than resistive heating and uses much less energy so heating would have much less impact on range. The problem with reverse cycle is that they lose efficiency at low temperatures as they have to transfer heat from the outside air to inside the car but new hot water heat pump systems like those made by Sanden use CO2 as a refrigerant (ironically) can operate effectively well below zero degrees C. They do operate at higher refrigerant pressures so it would require some minor re-engineering.

I hadn't thought of that before. At least with resistive heating, the heat is relatively instantaneous. But I would not object to reverse cycle. But I am sure that would still suck into your range... Maybe not as much but still...

resistive heating is 100% efficient, reverse cycle AC is up to 450% efficient so it should use much less power to produce the same amount of heat in the cabin

Well that means 4.5 times less range reduction than resistive heating. So let's see. Suppose on a freezing day, heating is on max, and the 480km range is reduced to 380km. That means instead of the 100km reduction, we have only 20 km reduction. So instead of 380km range, we have 460km range - a saving of 80km on a full charge - would have to be terribly freezing though because driving around for that long on max heat would make everyone sick otherwise.

OK fair enough, but the other economic factor is whether the electricity saved/wasted compares with the cost of the optional extra. Same considerations apply to LED headlights, LED cabin lights, LCD Screen Saver, and all that jazz.... But don't get me wrong - I am with you on this - I would actually welcome ALL those features.

yes I agree Tesla needs to do a cost/benefit. I imagine it would be minimal for interior LEDs, small for headlights but resistive heating really does use a lot of power. What it would do is remove one variable that affects range as heating would have a minimal impact. I suppose the important question is whether heating uses more energy than air conditioning

Last edited:
Nissan has had this for a while so no idea why Tesla has not updated last year

Quote from another thread here http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/why-not-selfcontinaed-heatpump
"milesbb | NOVEMBER 21, 2014
Leaf went to a heat pump in their 2014 model. Nissan claim:
"This new system improves the real world driving range, by cutting heater energy consumption by up to 70 per cent."
Nissan using a heat pump proves it makes no sense in an automotive application. I agree with Dramsey."

And some info from Nissan http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/heat_pump_cabin_heater.html

Last edited:
Nissan has had this for a while so no idea why Tesla has not updated last year

Quote from another thread here http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/why-not-selfcontinaed-heatpump
"milesbb | NOVEMBER 21, 2014
Leaf went to a heat pump in their 2014 model. Nissan claim:
"This new system improves the real world driving range, by cutting heater energy consumption by up to 70 per cent."
Nissan using a heat pump proves it makes no sense in an automotive application. I agree with Dramsey."

And some info from Nissan http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/heat_pump_cabin_heater.html

They say a camel is a horse designed by a committee... and the predominant use of the Tesla is as a horse sprinting around for short journey trips. So no need for a super efficient expensive heating system that only benefits on super long trips - that would be a camel hump.

The long trips are already accommodated for by superchargers ... or drivers freezing their nuts off because they are too frightened to heat their cabin.

When Tesla one day actually makes a profit, and here's hopin', they can turn their minds to the nicer things...

I thought that was why we live in godzone Australia. So we don't have to worry about snow and ice 98% of the time. The it of heat we need come from the heated seats ( work really well) and from the resistive heater. This from someone. Who hates the cold and has already used the heating in the car!

I'd like to see some additional data sets to toggle on the map screen. Rain radar (BOM), road incidents/accidents (State Road Authorities) and school holiday alerts. Anything that impacts driving.

Google maps shows traffic incidents I think, does it not do so in the Tesla implementation (which uses Google maps for display I thought)? I guess it's a matter of whether they provided the toggle option in the GUI or not.