Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

features on Full Self Driving disabled in Europe, is it now worth getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've seen a number of Youtube videos of people with Model 3's in Europe having features on their FSD being toned down or disabled in the latest firmware update.
They claim it's because of a new European law. If this is the case, do you think it's worth ordering the FSD option here in the UK/Europe or just wait a few years to see what happens?

Look forward to hearing peoples thoughts,

Peter

Worth getting? Highly subjective. I've specced FSD (see sig below). Realistically I don't expect point-to-point auto pilot but in theory it should work on our motorway junctions (at least the ones I use). I'm in for the long-haul so I figured it was a worthwhile investment. What's that you say about EU regs? :)

I know you can say it's highly subjective if you base it on what FSD offers excluding the restrictions . But if it's true that a lot of the benefits have been turned off for Europe than I'd say it comes down to you're just not getting what you paid for. And if this isn't a short term problem then what's the point in investing that money when you're only getting half the features?

This is one of the videos I've seen

Even before the new regs FSD was crippled in Europe due to existing laws. It doesn't work very well in some countries either, especially the UK and Ireland where it's RHD. There is a video on YouTube of NoA in the UK and it's scary to say the least.

Thanks Kuro. I'm seriously thinking maybe it's better to leave FSD off the order for now and wait for a few more years and possibly get it when purchasing a new Tesla and hopefully by then it will be a lot more solid. I mean I don't mind testing Beta Software but it just seems silly to be paying a lot of money for it when it's still so flakey.

Thanks Kuro. I'm seriously thinking maybe it's better to leave FSD off the order for now and wait for a few more years and possibly get it when purchasing a new Tesla and hopefully by then it will be a lot more solid. I mean I don't mind testing Beta Software but it just seems silly to be paying a lot of money for it when it's still so flakey.

That's probably a good idea. Tesla has periodic sales on FSD anyway, and who knows what will be available in future. For the UK in particular there is so much uncertainty, especially with brexit, so who knows when FSD will even be legal here.

If it does happen to get really good one day you can make a proper informed decision about it then.