Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Features we didn't know we wanted?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read that Elon has promised a major new software update coming soon, with many features 'we said we wanted' and other features that 'we didn't know that we wanted'.

So that got me thinking about what surprise features that may include that I never realised I wanted. I would be happy enough if it just included finally a fix for phantom braking, but that is definitely in the 'you know you want it' category.

I am not much interested in video games, so here was what I came up with for a surprise feature - ''Smoke-em Mode'.
Would just be another option you select on the Autopilot menu. When operational, anytime the car is stopped at traffic lights on Autopilot and detects a BMW in the adjacent lane, Smoke-em Mode triggers a large acceleration boost and ensures said BMW is seen in rearview mirror 1-2 seconds after lights turn green. Now who is going to say they would never push that slider and click the button to say 'I accept'?

Any other ideas for the features you never realised you wanted?

It's been discussed and demonstrated a while ago so I believe one of the new features will be to talk to other Teslas. Playing messages from the external speakers as you pass them or some similar gimmick. They'll probably take this one step further and allow intercar messaging if activated, perhaps even local multiplayer games whilst waiting at the superchargers.

Last edited:
  1. How about whole car dome lights up in sync with your caraoke singing?
  2. Face recognition using internal camera to set seats?
  3. Kids mode. Only allow arcade and netflixs control when activated. Doors kept locked.
  4. Tank turn for 4x4 models.
  5. Open doors from the touch screen
Tank turn, if it’s what I imagine it is, would be super cool, but I think you’d need 4 hub motors.
I suppose you could do a halfway house version by braking the inside rear wheel whilst driving the outside one and auto-steering hard over. Maybe.

User defined heater settings. Actually anything that makes accessing controls easier/safer with non dominant hand.

All half baked features bought to the level that they can be relied on.
Hah! It's only just dawned on me how much less convenient it must be if you're right handed.

Finally, justice for lefties!

I read that Elon has promised a major new software update coming soon, with many features 'we said we wanted' and other features that 'we didn't know that we wanted'.

So that got me thinking about what surprise features that may include that I never realised I wanted. I would be happy enough if it just included finally a fix for phantom braking, but that is definitely in the 'you know you want it' category.

I am not much interested in video games, so here was what I came up with for a surprise feature - ''Smoke-em Mode'.
Would just be another option you select on the Autopilot menu. When operational, anytime the car is stopped at traffic lights on Autopilot and detects a BMW in the adjacent lane, Smoke-em Mode triggers a large acceleration boost and ensures said BMW is seen in rearview mirror 1-2 seconds after lights turn green. Now who is going to say they would never push that slider and click the button to say 'I accept'?

Voice control of wiper speed
Cancel passing prompt by voice or scroll button

When operational, anytime the car is stopped at traffic lights on Autopilot and detects a BMW in the adjacent lane, Smoke-em Mode triggers a large acceleration boost and ensures said BMW is seen in rearview mirror 1-2 seconds after lights turn green. Now who is going to say they would never push that slider and click the button to say 'I accept'?

Did you not see the youtube video of Paddy Mcguiness in a model 3 taking on a merc 63 AMG & BMW M2. He didnt need "Smoke em mode", the merc was the first to catch the model 3 at 130mph. I can't recall the beamer catching up.

I'm looking/hoping for.
1. Ability to turn off passenger air vent. ( annoys my wife something aweful)
2. More control over satnav i.e.
1. Avoid motorways.
2. Learn rout mode.
3. Sensible route. i. One that avoids turning right jnto a major road T junction at rush hour.
ii. One that uses a SENSIBLE shortest route avoiding farm tracks etc.

Something I really hope to get for a long time is to add waypoint to the Navigation.

This would allow selecting the itinerary that I plan to use instead the default itinerary given by the Navigation.

In particular if I need to make a detour, there is no easy way to determine if I will need to use a Supercharger
before reaching my final destination.

Also the Navigation might try finding the shorter road, by using some residential roads
while using a main artery would be simpler and faster even if the distance might increase.

Similarly, I try to avoid making a left turn unless there is a special lane regulated with a traffic light.
Often it is just a mater of driving few blocks for finding a traffic light but this is something the Navigation is not aware of.

I can of course use some other Apps like Google Map or A Better Route Planner,
or ignore the direction given, as the Navigation will re-adjust then, but this would be so much nicer to have it integrated.

I'm looking/hoping for.
1. Ability to turn off passenger air vent. ( annoys my wife something aweful)
2. More control over satnav i.e.
1. Avoid motorways.
2. Learn rout mode.
3. Sensible route. i. One that avoids turning right jnto a major road T junction at rush hour.
ii. One that uses a SENSIBLE shortest route avoiding farm tracks etc.

This #1 would be a dream! The girlfriend likes cold but I like hot!

Something I really hope to get for a long time is to add waypoint to the Navigation.

This would allow selecting the itinerary that I plan to use instead the default itinerary given by the Navigation.

In particular if I need to make a detour, there is no easy way to determine if I will need to use a Supercharger
before reaching my final destination.

Also the Navigation might try finding the shorter road, by using some residential roads
while using a main artery would be simpler and faster even if the distance might increase.

Similarly, I try to avoid making a left turn unless there is a special lane regulated with a traffic light.
Often it is just a mater of driving few blocks for finding a traffic light but this is something the Navigation is not aware of.

I can of course use some other Apps like Google Map or A Better Route Planner,
or ignore the direction given, as the Navigation will re-adjust then, but this would be so much nicer to have it integrated.
I use an app called SCENIC for my sports car club drives. It's a motorcycle app but I don't think it cares what I'm riding/driving;). Allows waypoint navigation, we drove 1800 miles on nothing but B roads I plotted. It can even route for curvy roads!

Back on topic - 360 camera... I mean come on, how is this not reality on one of the most advanced cars on the road?