Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Features we didn't know we wanted?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had seat cooling / air con in my Lexus GS300, and I thought it was going to be a complete gimmic but it was absolutely brilliant. It was subtle enough to not cause discomfort but strong enough to arrive at your destination after a long journey with a dry back on your suit shirt. I've missed it ever since I got rid of that car :-(

+1 for this from me as well, I've had cooled seats in my last four cars and they're brilliant when you have been parked in the sun or to refresh you during a long journey. Getting out of the car without a sweaty back is not to be underrated; I think I will miss them too.

Just curious. Whats your range of 'sensible monthly fee'?

When subscription was first muted, iirc FSD was around $6k at that time, the $100/month was discussed. I think that discussion moved on to twice that now. $25 was also suggested as iirc Cruise were pitching at that level, but I don't think that was L3 or higher.

Tesla's 'full self-driving' feature is coming in subscription form

Super Cruise and Ultra Cruise monthly payments

It depends. I’d probably go for £30/month for enhanced autopilot and maybe £75 for proper FSD.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Based upon current EAP at £3400 and FSD at iirc £6800 (significantly more in US and expected to rise elsewhere) and full subscription. It also assumes that you get no benefit on outright purchase of FSD, but that may not be Teslas intention and makes no reference to resale premium.

£30/month EAP = £360/year = 9.4 years
£75/month FSD = £900/year = 7.5 years

I am not much interested in video games, so here was what I came up with for a surprise feature - ''Smoke-em Mode'.
Would just be another option you select on the Autopilot menu. When operational, anytime the car is stopped at traffic lights on Autopilot and detects a BMW in the adjacent lane, Smoke-em Mode triggers a large acceleration boost and ensures said BMW is seen in rearview mirror 1-2 seconds after lights turn green. Now who is going to say they would never push that slider and click the button to say 'I accept'?

I was hoping your Smoke-em Mode was a black smoke generator that we could trigger when we blow past a diesel pickup truck that just smoked us at a stop light.

Reactions: OttoR
Based upon current EAP at £3400 and FSD at iirc £6800 (significantly more in US and expected to rise elsewhere) and full subscription. It also assumes that you get no benefit on outright purchase of FSD, but that may not be Teslas intention and makes no reference to resale premium.

£30/month EAP = £360/year = 9.4 years
£75/month FSD = £900/year = 7.5 years

yes, but this is software. The price of development is fixed, and the question for the developer is how to balance subscriptions and price for maximum return. If they get three subscribers for FSD at £75/month they are better off than one at the£200/month which has been talked about. And I suspect a lot more people can (or would want to) spend an additional £900 than £2,400 a year for the tech.

Similarly, there is a reason the software industry has generally moved from an outright purchase to SaaS model over the last 10 years or so.

other people might pay more, of course, but with my usage that’s as far as I’d go. I’m in enough trouble for buying a Model 3 and not a second hand Fiesta for the 15 minute drive to the station already...

Reactions: phillcom3
Because it's software I might be more tempted if I had the option to keep the license or sell it with the car.

The problem is that the SR+ (for example) is a $35,000 (£26,000) car in the States, but by the time the shipping costs and import duty is paid to get it to Europe it's a $55,000 (£41,000) car. Being asked to then pay another £7,000 for something that has no shipping costs and doesn't really work very on European roads feels insulting.

They could make it free in Europe - and other countries - to soften the blow without hitting their bottom line in any significant way, but they have chosen not to.

I'm not going to pay through the nose for the same reason I didn't buy a Jaguar I-Pace: It's good but it isn't nearly good enough for the money.

N.B. This is a personal opinion, I am aware that others will come to an opposing decision.

Because it's software I might be more tempted if I had the option to keep the license or sell it with the car.

The problem is that the SR+ (for example) is a $35,000 (£26,000) car in the States, but by the time the shipping costs and import duty is paid to get it to Europe it's a $55,000 (£41,000) car. Being asked to then pay another £7,000 for something that has no shipping costs and doesn't really work very on European roads feels insulting.

They could make it free in Europe - and other countries - to soften the blow without hitting their bottom line in any significant way, but they have chosen not to.

I'm not going to pay through the nose for the same reason I didn't buy a Jaguar I-Pace: It's good but it isn't nearly good enough for the money.

N.B. This is a personal opinion, I am aware that others will come to an opposing decision.
Sorry to be pedantic, the SR+ is $38k before sales taxes

The SR was $35k, but was never sold here.

The main reason the car appears so expensive here compared with the US is predominantly local sales taxes, which also apply to the software, and are included in our advertised prices, unlike the US where all prices are shown before tax.

Voice control of fog lights. that last thing you need when entering an unforseen bank of fog, on a country road where you can't use Autopilot is to be taking your eyes off the road, scrambling for the fog light button.
Control of charge amperage from the App.
Freezing warning, like other cars do on the temp display perhaps a larger or colour change tem display when freezing conditions exist.
Energy overlaid on the navigaton window so you can track the changing energy line without changing windows.
An up and down arrow at the end of the energy line showing the trend similar to a rate of climb or vaiometer for the pilots out there. Useful on long journeys where super charging is limited and speed can be adjusted to range easier.

Last edited:
yes, but this is software. The price of development is fixed, and the question for the developer is how to balance subscriptions and price for maximum return. If they get three subscribers for FSD at £75/month they are better off than one at the£200/month which has been talked about. And I suspect a lot more people can (or would want to) spend an additional £900 than £2,400 a year for the tech.

You have to remember that they said that the subscription option would cost more than buying FSD outright, or including it in your lease. So if you look at how much adding FSD increases your loan/lease payment that is a set point for the minimum cost of the subscription.

Apologies if you already know this, if you long press the fan symbol on the main screen it switches off the heater.
Thanks seadog. On mine, long-pressing the fan symbol switches off climate control entirely, not just the heater.

What I want is to have the climate control on 21 but it should not heat if it's cooler (because it'll be 30 or more shortly). As it is, I have to turn the temperature to LO and turn off AC and enable outside air in the mornings to have nice fresh air, then put AC back on and recirc and set the temperature in the afternoons. It's daft.

Perhaps climate control off is equivalent to heater off in some places ey?

Cheers.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
Avoid supercharger option (always tries to route Barnsley when I want Woodall - travelling north)

waypoints

Virtual supercharger queuing

Garage opener beyond Homelink (eg: web WiFi MyQ)

Check for updates from app/car wakes

Arrive at location SoC % (location-based/saved)

Cornering lights- Fog light illumination upon turn (think Model S already does this)- could be a hardware issue if lights are wired in series

Locked expanded Itinerary view of route without the map zooming out (can do this as a bug already if you quickly double tap the compass while route is in planning, but if you later move the map it’ll correct it’s self) - good for seeing next few turns and arrival SoC without touching anything

Reactions: phillcom3