Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Features - What will be standard/upgrades/not available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's talk features. I know we are all guessing on what kWh battery packs will come or spaceship steering. My thought was to put standard/optional features available on cars in this price range and see what everyone thinks might/might not be available. I don't think these features will cause me not to buy the car if they aren't available but they would be nice to have non-the-less.

Also it would be interesting to see if someone thinks they'll be standard/optional or included with a package... I am kind of piecing together features from multiple cars... I'll put if I think they'll be standard or optional. Also please correct me if someone saw the feature in a test drive or I left something off. It would also be neat to see what people think is a must have or not...

Exterior:
LED Daytime Running Lamps - Standard
Halogen Headlights - Standard
HID Headlights - Not available
LED Headlights - Optional
Auto ON/OFF headlights - Standard (Must have for me)
Fog Lights - Not available
Rear Spoiler - Optional
Power Folding Mirrors - Not Available
Heated Mirrors - Standard
Auto Tilt Down Mirrors - Standard
Auto Dimming Exterior Mirrors - Not Available (I would love this)
Metal Roof - Standard
Glass Roof - Optional
Glass Roof w/ Power Open/Close - Optional (I want this)
Sonar System Front/Rear - Standard (I need this)
Exterior Ground LED lighting - Not available (Like the door handles on the model S)

Interior:
15" Touch Screen - Standard
Navigation - Standard
Voice Recognition - Standard
Blue Tooth Phone Integration with Streaming Audio - Standard
LTE Data - Optional
Apple Car Play - Not Available (would be nice)
XM Radio - Optional
Premium Sound - Optional (How many speakers??) I would love to see Tesla work with another high end company like Harman or Bang and Olfson.
Auxiliary Input Jack - Not Available
HD Radio - Optional
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror - Standard
Dual Zone Auto Temp Control - Standard
Tri Zone Auto Temp Control - Not Available (Would be nice for back seat)
Home Link - Standard
Cruise Control - Standard
Intelligent Cruise Control - Optional
Intelligent Auto Steer - Optional
Intelligent Autonomous Driving (to final destination) - ?
Active Noise Cancellation - Not Available
Remote Interior Cooling Control - Standard
Remote Window Controls - Standard
Tilt Steering - Standard
Tilt and Telescopic Steering - Not Available
Rain Sensing Wipers - Optional
LED Ambient Interior Lighting - Optional
Lighted Vanity Mirrors in Sunshades - Standard
Sunglass Holder - Standard
Seatback pockets - Standard
Front Cup Holders - Standard
Rear Cup Holders - Standard

Seating:
8 way power drivers seat - Standard
4 way power passengers seat - Optional
Memory - Mirrors and Seats - Optional
Heated Front Seats - Optional
Ventilated Front Seats - Not Available
Heated Steering Wheel - Not Available
Cloth Seating - Standard
Leather Seating - Optional
Vegan Seating - Optional
Alcantera Headliner and Accents - Optional

Safety:
Driver and Passenger Airbags - Standard
Curtain Airbags - Standard
Side Airbags - Standard
Forward Collision Warning - Standard
Blind Spot Detection - Standard
Forward Emergency Braking - Standard
LATCH System (Two positions on outer of back seat) - Standard
Tire Pressure Monitoring - Standard (Will this actually give the amount of pressure or just low indication?)

James Bond:
Road Slick - Standard
Front Rocket Launchers - Standard
Amphibious Mode - Optional
Helicopter Mode - Optional

I think Tesla would have a major PR problem if the Glass Roof that was a prominent feature during the reveal and rides now became an option.

That optional component is the part of the roof above the driver. The glass over the back passengers will be standard. On the ride alongs one of the drivers said there will be metal, glass, and sunroof options.

Reactions: PaulJB
Can't imagine LED lights wouldn't be standard. Cost isn't much greater these days over halogen. LEDs are more efficient and lower power draw. They wouldn't have to develop two different light housings then either, so that reduces manufacturing costs and increases cost savings for quantities of scale.

I would think power folding mirrors would be a part of "tech" package or something equivalent. Rear spoiler I would think not needed. I'm sure the aerodynamics are optimized without it. Although maybe there will be carbon fiber one optional for the "P" version.

Heated steering wheel I would imagine being a part of subzero package.

p.s. Hello fellow Austinite :)

So this would be a good topic to ask this question. Do Teslas have remote starting? If they don't have ventilated seats, I'd like to be able to start my car and turn on the AC. Haven't seen anybody ever talk about this, so does this feature exist?

Fog Lights - Not available

Back fog lights are mandatory in many places.

Power Folding Mirrors - Not Available

Why do you think so? They are pretty standard in almost all cars today?

Halogen Headlights - Standard

Would be weird.

Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror - Standard

Optional I'd guess

Home Link - Standard

I'd think this is also optional

Tilt and Telescopic Steering - Not Available

Do you mean bringing the steering wheel forwards / backwards (towards driver)?

I think that is standard, at least in manual version. I see no reason why this wouldn't be available.
Edit: manual meaning you adjust yourself, not power adjusted.

Rain Sensing Wipers - Optional

Might be part of tech package but wouldn't surprise me if they are standard.

I think navigation will be part of a technology package or something like that... no premium car of this class comes standard with Nav. On BMW, Audi or MB, Nav is close to a 2k option.

It was the case even on the Model S for a long time.

I think Xenon headlights will be standard; like only BMW is still using crappy halogen on the 3 series. LED will be optional, like every other car of its class.

Power folding mirrors is not available on the 3 series, C class or A4, so don't think we ll see that.

Power folding mirrors is not available on the 3 series, C class or A4, so don't think we ll see that.

I just checked Merc and Audi, both have options for power folding mirrors in our market at least. Didn't get info on BMW because their pages suck big time. Is it really so there that those models don't have power folding mirrors even as optional extra?

I think navigation will be part of a technology package or something like that... no premium car of this class comes standard with Nav. On BMW, Audi or MB, Nav is close to a 2k option.

Nope, I think it will be standard just like on the S/X. The reason is that the navigation is part of their way of eliminating range anxiety. (Nav letting you know if you have enough charge and routing you through Superchargers as necessary.)

Back fog lights are mandatory in many places.

That could be I was intending front Fog lamps. I made this statement based on prototype photos. It doesn't look like the prototypes have them. This could very well be an option though. I was under the understanding that the prototypes were highly optioned models and I would expect to see them there. Perhaps it is too early to tell.

Why do you think so? They are pretty standard in almost all cars today?
Actually they don't seem to be standard except on high end cars and cars that are really wide. I think the model S gained them because of how wide it is. It helps in parking lots and getting into single bay garages. I wish my wife's van had them as we have to roll down the window to safely get into our garage. Don't get me started on why the builder of my house needed to put 3 single width garage doors but oh well...

Would be weird.

Halogen is incorrect but I don't think it is that weird. There are some luxury cars that still have it. I would think that HID would require a bigger lens than what they have on the car. I could be wrong. My guess is if they don't have halogen standard they'll probably go straight to LED.

Optional I'd guess

This is pretty standard now on things like Honda Odyssey in the same price range. Hopefully it is standard on the Tesla.

I'd think this is also optional

I guessed this would be standard but I could be wrong. It allows for some really cool Tesla features like opening the door when you pull up. Most likely you are right and probably is in the tech package or something.

Do you mean bringing the steering wheel forwards / backwards (towards driver)?

I think that is standard, at least in manual version. I see no reason why this wouldn't be available.
Edit: manual meaning you adjust yourself, not power adjusted.

Yes I mean up and down is standard but in and out isn't. I am guessing that based on the dash design it isn't there but again my opinion. Power version might be included if you have memory seats...

Might be part of tech package but wouldn't surprise me if they are standard.

This is usually optional on most low end luxury cars except for maybe Lexus.

Yes, I can start cooling the interior through the app.

I wanted a car with ventilated seats but I am willing to give that up if I can pre-cool the interior with my Apple Watch/Phone

I think Xenon headlights will be standard; like only BMW is still using crappy halogen on the 3 series. LED will be optional, like every other car of its class.

I don't know why nav systems still cost 2k. Back when they first came out it came with a lot of extra features like voice recognition, backup camera, etc... Now a lot of those features that used to be added with Nav are expected on low end cars (backup camera will become law) so the extra benefit from the Nav isn't as much as it used to be. I think some manufacturers like Nissan have Nav as a 900 dollar option.

I think HID headlights take a bigger lens but I could be wrong. I am guessing they'll go straight to LED instead of HID. With HID you need auto leveling etc...

I don't know if power folding mirrors are that needed on a car this size. It depends on how wide it ends up being.

Another thing I remember that I didn't put in the list is surround view cameras. That would be nice. I know that a coworker has a Nissan Rogue SV that has it and he paid 23k out the door. It should be standard on the Tesla Model 3.

The 328i I'm driving would beg to differ.

I strongly doubt there will be Halogen headlights. It would be a huge step back.

Either
- Xenon + LED daytime running headlights, no full LED optional (like Model S)
or
- Full LED (like Model X)
or
- Xenon + LED daytime running headlights, full LED optional

Could be either one of these. I am hoping they go full LED standard.

Regarding power folding mirrors:
Actually they don't seem to be standard except on high end cars and cars that are really wide. I think the model S gained them because of how wide it is. It helps in parking lots and getting into single bay garages. I wish my wife's van had them as we have to roll down the window to safely get into our garage. Don't get me started on why the builder of my house needed to put 3 single width garage doors but oh well...

Really? Even my 2008 BMW 1-series convertible had power folding mirrors.
It's about more than just fitting in parking lots or garages – although that is certainly a big part of it – it also protects the mirrors when the car is parked.
They may or may not be standard, but they will definitely be available.

I think Tesla would have a major PR problem if the Glass Roof that was a prominent feature during the reveal and rides now became an option.
As someone who comes from a place where it's not unheard of to get down to -40 I'd hate to pay extra for a metal roof. The glass roof would radiate in the cold and be bitterly cold inside.