Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feb 1, 2017 - good time to order? or smarter to wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i realize this topic is a never-ending one, but i wanted some advice from some of you with way more knowledge than i.

i keep hearing about imminent things coming like Heads-Up Display. "Spaceship Controls" is coming. new paint options are coming. armrest/2nd row console?

i want to order a P100D, but i have another sweet car i'm using now so i am in no rush (other than i want it badly). do you think now is a relatively "safe" time to buy? or if you were me, would you wait because there's a feeling that upgrades are coming soon?

and yes, i know that no one knows definitively, Tesla keeps everything secret until it is revealed. but i wish we had some sort of "Buyers Guide"... kind of like macrumors.com has for Apple products. they show how long it's been since a product has been updated and give general "good time to buy / caution / don't buy, wait" recommendations. iPhone, iPad, Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy

thanks in advance for any input you might have!

Good time to buy because by the time you actually take delivery, AP2 Hardware ought to have AP1 functionality dialed down.

Then its all upside for the next 3-4 years as they keep improving it.

I use Macrumors a lot so I know -exactly- where you are coming from when wanting to "time" things.

Good buypoints I saw when shopping was:

Primary - AP2, Secondary - 60D
Primary - AP2, Secondary - Free Unlimited Supercharging
Primary - AP2, Secondary - 100D Option.

I would guess on HUD at the -earliest- as a sales driver at end of 2017 if Model 3 doesn't deliver as expected. Thinking more middle 2018. No point to wait that long and not as substantial as the AP2 rollout end of 2016.

Ya, pull the trigger when you are ready to buy. Waiting will have you waiting forever. There will always be something new. The main point is to select a vehicle that is what you want and plan on being happy with that. TM doesn't have model years, so no predictable release on new features. Just grab it when you are ready. I bought a P85+ in August 2014, I got AP1 as a fluke on September 30, 2014. I got AP1 before it was announced. Yet the D came out two weeks later. But hey, I got what I bought and then some. I am very satisfied!!

I consider now a good time. X production quality has matured, we have AP2 and the 100D behind us now. If AP2 was a "major enhancement" and major changes are coming every 12-18 months, that gives about another year until the next big change. But who knows for sure? Could be 18 months, could be 18 days away. Perhaps they are all heads-down working on Model 3, so S/X updates are pushed out, Or perhaps they want to release updates to S/X first, so they're coming sooner. So many ways to read the tea leaves!

What we know is AP2 and 100D are good things to have, and the availability of the Air Quality/Bio-weapon add-on made my PUP decision a lot simpler. Now's a great time!

Now - The next battery upgrade is likely at least 12 months away, and AP3 probably more than that. I thought I wanted a second row console but love the 6-seat config. HUD and spaceship controls also a year away. Paint colors are unpredictable. You can buy now and upgrade in 3 years when the the new features of 2017-2018 have matured. 110% agree with Canuck's last sentence.

Now does seem like the best time for the high end cars. They just recently squeezed in some more cells into the pack, so the big pack is unlikely to be changed in near future. At the P100D level any power improvements are pretty much moot, so thats unlikely. New AP hardware just came out, so thats also unlikely to happen again soon.

Based on recent history Tesla will do another update of something to drive sales for Q2 in about 3 months. Best guess at this point would be something on the low end, perhaps using the 100 modules to give a range bump. its also possible they could do an interior refresh, as this is somethign they are clearly trailing in, and have made recent hires to improve.

Good time to buy because by the time you actually take delivery, AP2 Hardware ought to have AP1 functionality dialed down.

Then its all upside for the next 3-4 years as they keep improving it.

I use Macrumors a lot so I know -exactly- where you are coming from when wanting to "time" things.

Good buypoints I saw when shopping was:

Primary - AP2, Secondary - 60D
Primary - AP2, Secondary - Free Unlimited Supercharging
Primary - AP2, Secondary - 100D Option.

I would guess on HUD at the -earliest- as a sales driver at end of 2017 if Model 3 doesn't deliver as expected. Thinking more middle 2018. No point to wait that long and not as substantial as the AP2 rollout end of 2016.

great stuff. thanks

At the P100D level any power improvements are pretty much moot, so thats unlikely..

yea i was cruising that website that lists all the 0-60 times. the Model S P100D is near the top at 2.4. and i think that was without "Ludicrous+" which will probably register 2.3. only a handful of trick cars above that. it seems, power/acceleration wise, they are really bumping up against the limits of physics. although i bet whenever Tesla makes their next Roadster, a 2.0 or under 0-60 time isn't out of the question...