Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feb. delivery, will my VIN change to reflect 2017 build year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered a 60D with a February delivery date but the VIN in My Tesla which was issued last week is showing a 2016 build. Has anyone seen this scenario before? I can't imagine they would hold on to it for two months before delivery. Does the VIN change to show a 2017 build in January if they haven't started building it yet?

Ordered a 60D with a February delivery date but the VIN in My Tesla which was issued last week is showing a 2016 build. Has anyone seen this scenario before? I can't imagine they would hold on to it for two months before delivery. Does the VIN change to show a 2017 build in January if they haven't started building it yet?

On my VIN the 10th digit is G for 2016 model year. Likely "H" is for 2017.

Yes, same here. Showing G for 2016. I asked for a February delivery to get a 2017 (H?). I know they will be physically the same but want a 2017 model year for my own reasons. I'm sure they don't know for sure this far ahead of the actual build exactly which cars will be built in 2016 and which ones will be in 2017 so hoping all the VINs assigned a G will be changed to an H in January to reflect the actual build date.

For this situation, they will build it, offer it to you "by end of December" with a possible incentive and then if you refuse, will sell it as inventory car and build you another.

Feb Delivery in Montreal is more like:
- probably build last production week of December if a slot is available.
(I hope that they are going to give workers some holiday this year - but may not happen until week 1 of Jan)
- Ship it week of Jan 1-8
- import into Canada takes a bit of time
- prep at end of january
- Delivery early February or late January.

They are building US-specific as much as possible right now for year end push. Since you didn't want it in December, it will possibly be built early in January but it could be built at end of December if there is room. And, it's a 60D which is probably the lowest-margin model in the book, so it may not be as high a priority to do what you would want versus a P100DL at nearly twice the revenue.

If you want a 2017 build, it's best to order it roughly mid-December due to how things are scheduled.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Would a "2017" car still get unlimited Supercharging?

If it was ordered before the end of 2016 and is delivered before April 1st.

But maybe Tesla is going to make the VIN a breaking point to make it easier. Any car ordered in 2016 with planned delivery before April will get a 2016 VIN. (Such that no 2017 VIN would ever qualify for unlimited Supercharging.)

Would a "2017" car still get unlimited Supercharging?

Order before 1/1/17. Check.
Take delivery by April 17. Check.

So, sure, 2017 builds will certainly get supercharging. They are getting ready for Model 3 but it is a few months away.

Why are they not printing the cost of the above-400 kWh per year? That is only one supercharge per quarterly. Some Uber guys may supercharge daily in some areas. Order last week of december, no real reason to think it will be built in 2016.

My VIN was replaced:
12/7 placed order
12/14 order confirmed
12/18 2016 VIN issued
12/21 VIN changed to 2017 VIN

Not sure if this was triggered by an email to my DS or not.

My VIN was replaced:
[snip]
Not sure if this was triggered by an email to my DS or not.

I am in a similar situation. I placed order on 12/10, confirmed on 12/18, and a 2016 VIN was assigned later that same day.

I emailed my SA about the 2016 vs. 2017 VIN he said, "my records show you have a 2017 Model S, so you should be fine". Not quite sure what "be fine" means.

I noticed recently that I have now been assigned a DS, whom I emailed with a similar 2016/2017 VIN question, but I have not heard back yet. Also, my VIN has not changed (yet).