Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feb. delivery, will my VIN change to reflect 2017 build year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, you guys are making me anxious. I haven't received anything about 2017 VIN and have "late January-early February " delivery. I wouldn't even mind paying now and getting it in early January if the VIN was 2017 (and maybe I could get those next gen seat $$ applied toward PUP or something.

Boom.

My VIN changed from 2016 to 2017 sometime today (the "G" year code changed to "H").
Same here.

S60 (software limited 75). Delivery window still listed as "Late December - January, 2017"

No complaints here - all else equal (and I think it all else is equal?) I'd rather opt for a 2017 VIN over a 2016 one.

Also guessing (?) Tesla won't be as frantic/rushed in early Jan to push cars out compared to the YE of 2016.

I ordered early November and wanted a 2017 VIN. Changed yesterday to H and delivery still set for the same January/early February as I started with. I heard they do make some 2017's now and deliver late December, EARLY January but I guess that's not me at this point. Still waiting to hear on whether I get the Next Gen seats I ordered the the car with or if they switch me to premium-I think there is a slight difference.

Not all premium are ventilated-have to get PUP I believe. I think those with pending orders should still be able to choose. I asked DS and he pretty much said I'm getting premium but I think if I could make a stink and get the Next Gen if I find I prefer them...going to a store soon to test although a spirited drive would probably be in order to really argue one way or the other.

The 2017 VIN were not available till the end of the year. Everyone who ordered in 2016 and received a 2016 VIN after confirmation but their VIN will be changed to a 2017 model year. This was the case for my MS which I ordered in October but told them to hold production till January 2017 so I can get the "2017 model year".

Funny that there seems to be a pretty good amount of people who did this. When I asked to do it, they acted like I was crazy-probably to make that 3/4 sale. My current car is hobbling to the finish line so hopefully won't be much longer. Did ANYONE take delivery of a MY 2017 in December ? I thought I saw someone saying they did and I was told there was a remote possibility of this happening, again I think it's for sales numbers. My page still says January/Early February and I confirmed 11/6 darnit !

My VIN also changed from a G to an H, S60 for "late December - January" delivery.

I did have the following thought: for resale, having a 2017 VIN may be beneficial. However, in Connecticut, we pay property tax on our vehicles, and I'm wondering if having a 2016 VIN may actually be better (financially)? Here's my thinking: property tax is based on the value of the car. If I get a late December 2016 VIN, come January that car is "one year old" and will almost instantly be depreciated for property tax purposes. I think they can only go by year as they use the VIN for tax assessment, and can't tell the month it was built, I could be wrong on that, and if I am wrong that would obviously negate this math. Conversely, a 2017 VIN would be "brand new" all of 2017 and be assessed at a higher value. That depreciation game would continue every year, since the 2016 car would always be a year "older", so the savings continue every year.

The cars would be the exact same, physically, just one would be a month older, but on paper one is a year older than the other. From a net present value perspective I think those property tax savings probably outweigh any resale value benefit. I.e., I would've preferred a 2016 VIN. In addition, delivery in December would've resulted in a Net Present Value benefit on the tax credit as well, since now I'll have to wait a year longer and cannot earn a return on that money yet. Doesn't change the fact I'm stoked to get the car :)