Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fed. Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are eligible for as many credits as you want - no limit. But of course you need the tax liability to offset them against. And when the tax credit expires, it's gone.

As current owner I would fully expect that you would get a Model 3 in 2018.

Reactions: azred
We purchased an S model a few months ago, and now reserved a model 3 which presumably we will have to wait till 2019 for delivery, can we get the tax credit for both cars?
Go to tesla.com and click the MODEL 3 link and then click "CHECK YOUR ESTIMATED DELIVERY" under "Reservaton Holder Update". What are the date ranges presented for each of the 3 configurations? This will help gauge how much of the credit may still be available when you take delivery of your Model 3.

As a current owner I don't know why anyone believes he will get the car later than 2018.
From those who posted their dates, owners only get a one month advantage over non-owners if they reserved at the same time. Same thing for owners who reserved two Model 3s at the same time. One reservation, which benefits from the existing ownership, gets dates one month earlier than the second reservation, which is treated as a regular reservation (no priority).

So, there's no reason to expect that an owner who reserves a Model 3 now should trump all those non-owners who reserved months or over a year ago who are themselves getting 2018 dates. Of course, the OP can clear up the date issue by telling us what his delivery estimates are on the Tesla site.

From those who posted their dates, owners only get a one month advantage over non-owners if they reserved at the same time. Same thing for owners who reserved two Model 3s at the same time. One reservation, which benefits from the existing ownership, gets dates one month earlier than the second reservation, which is treated as a regular reservation (no priority).

So, there's no reason to expect that an owner who reserves a Model 3 y now should trump all those non-owners who reserved months or over a year ago who are themselves getting 2018 dates. Of course, the OP can clear up the date issue by telling us what his delivery estimates are on the Tesla site.

That's probably not true. Musk has said the best way to get a Model 3 is to buy a Model S or X, putting you ahead of all the non-owners. Given how important Model S and X are to keeping Tesla afloat as they expand so rapidly, I think that's fair too, even if it puts someone in front of me.

That's probably not true. Musk has said the best way to get a Model 3 is to buy a Model S or X, putting you ahead of all the non-owners. Given how important Model S and X are to keeping Tesla afloat as they expand so rapidly, I think that's fair too, even if it puts someone in front of me.
Yes, put an owner ahead of non-owners reserving at the same timeframe... not ahead of all non-owners since Day 1. Not only would what you are proposing be unfair to non-owners, it would also be unfair to S/X owners who reserved their Model 3s on Day 1. The guy who stood in line ahead of me is an owner and he has priority over me, a non-owner. His estimated delivery windows, as provided by Tesla, are one month earlier than mine. Today, an S/X owner decides finally to place a Model 3 reservation. Under your proposal, he jumps the queue ahead of all non-owners, which includes me. So if he's getting my slot, that means he'll get his car only one month later than the fellow owner who was in line with me over 16 months ago (and had his $1,000 tied up for that period of time). Not owner would this piss off new Tesla customers (the majority of the hundreds of thousands of reservations), it'll piss off existing customers who showed their loyalty by reserving another Tesla car (Model 3) as soon as possible.

So, there's no reason to expect that an owner who reserves a Model 3 now should trump all those non-owners who reserved months or over a year ago who are themselves getting 2018 dates. Of course, the OP can clear up the date issue by telling us what his delivery estimates are on the Tesla site.

For what it is worth, I'm a current East Coast owner and made my Model 3 reservation on May 9, 2017 and here is what I see, which is way better than I ever expected it to be:
  • First Production
    310 mile range, Rear Wheel Drive and premium upgrades
    $49,000
    Nov 2017 - Jan 2018
  • Standard Battery
    220 mile range with Rear Wheel Drive
    $35,000
    Jan - Mar 2018
  • Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
    Choice of 220 or 310 mile range
    Jul - Sep 2018