Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fed up w/not getting new FSD. Lawsuit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I edited my post above but here is the link, yes this happened.

Also note Tesla did give dates many times and those dates were failed to be delivered. Elon has many times advertised it's full release by end of x year. He is the CEO his word can be counted on by a consumer. Even if he doesn't actually know. So yes I do truly believe someone could win a class action against Tesla and be awarded damages in court. You prepaid for something with an expected delivery date not open ended as you stated.
Yeah, the customer was promised a lot of stuff in the shipping product that wasn't there. That's standard fodder for a claim.

Tesla is (barely) promising stuff they will deliver in future. Future software is often late or even delivered never. It's different.

There could be a fight over what Elon has said. He says a lot of things, including at times being more contrite, saying it's what he hopes, or "barring regulatory approval" -- a caveat he often puts on. Other times he says he is certain. All of us have learned his ways and don't take any of his promises seriously, but some might make a case that they did.

I'm confident you could get your FSD payment back, plus interest. To get more back you would have to start showing you would have bought a different car if not for the FSD promises. That's a hard sell. Tesla is still the best EV even without FSD. You want to make a serious case that you would have bought a Chevy Bolt but the promise of FSD in the future switched you? I mean yes, Elon did tell you that you were insane to buy anything but a Tesla -- but is that a promise, or just marketing bravado? You don't usually get to sue over "Their ads said it was the best and it is not so I want damages."

And again, what are the damages? Maybe Tesla will buy your car back from you (then resell it for more.) The used market will already pay a premium for it.

For more damages you would have to show how you actually lost money because you bought a Tesla instead of some other car.

Yeah, the customer was promised a lot of stuff in the shipping product that wasn't there. That's standard fodder for a claim.

Tesla is (barely) promising stuff they will deliver in future. Future software is often late or even delivered never. It's different.

There could be a fight over what Elon has said. He says a lot of things, including at times being more contrite, saying it's what he hopes, or "barring regulatory approval" -- a caveat he often puts on. Other times he says he is certain. All of us have learned his ways and don't take any of his promises seriously, but some might make a case that they did.

I'm confident you could get your FSD payment back, plus interest. To get more back you would have to start showing you would have bought a different car if not for the FSD promises. That's a hard sell. Tesla is still the best EV even without FSD. You want to make a serious case that you would have bought a Chevy Bolt but the promise of FSD in the future switched you? I mean yes, Elon did tell you that you were insane to buy anything but a Tesla -- but is that a promise, or just marketing bravado? You don't usually get to sue over "Their ads said it was the best and it is not so I want damages."

And again, what are the damages? Maybe Tesla will buy your car back from you (then resell it for more.) The used market will already pay a premium for it.

For more damages you would have to show how you actually lost money because you bought a Tesla instead of some other car.

Saying Tesla "Barely" promised stuff is as misleading as the promises Tesla has made. They didn't barely promise anything they have many times (not as much now they have learned) in the past stated they will have FSD available by a certain date. You could argue that you bought it with the intent it would raise in value when FSD was released making the car drive itself. Heck you could say you bought it for a robotaxi to make $ bc that's what Elon said they would be used for if you wanted to. You have lost income, distress, etc etc. I'm not asking/wanting any of that but simply stating if someone took Tesla to court I do think they would win. That's my opinion and why. Also a refund of FSD is still called damages. Any amount awarded in a suit is damages.

Damages refers to the sum of money the law imposes for a breach of some duty or violation of some right. Generally, there are two types of damages: compensatory and punitive.

I think Tesla found a great market: people who are wealthy enough to be able to ignore a measly $12k loss
I would expect that FSD payments are coming from discretionary funds. And there's between 7-8 million millionaires in the US. So there's a large number of people for who are not going to lose sleep over $10-15K.

Of course, some people will overextend themselves to buy things they really can't afford.

Many people here are fed up with how Tesla has treated them in failing to resolve some particular issue. Why not stop waiting for the problem to resolve itself and take legal action to actually resolve the matter?

(Speaking as someone who did take legal action and settled the disagreements I had with Tesla. Unable to discuss details unfortunately.)
Details of result?

OP, why not just drive on AP on the highways? You will likely have a 99+ score if you simply let the car drive itself.
Depends on your environment. In northern Arizona (as well as Central Oregon and other areas I am personally familiar with) roundabouts (aka traffic circles) are the new “thing” that traffic engineers seem to love.

Not working well with AP or FSD much!!! It’s fraught with special cases (multiple lanes with multiple w entry/exit points, speed limits up to 45mph in the circle where I live, even faster with some larger radius circles) and intended for smooth flow, not stopping excessively.

In my particular case, I can’t even drive to the nearest market or post office without navigating two roundabouts!

Reactions: 2101Guy
That is what class action is about. Seems like there are a lot of people out there that are in a similar situation. Just seems like what Tesla is doing is wrong I am pretty sure I am not the only one that feels this way. I get things aren't perfect, but to hold back tech for years is not right.
Do you have any idea what a class action lawsuit actually is? Or are just just mad and (moderator edit). In a class action, the lawyers get 50%, the primary client gets usually 20-30% and the remaining 20% is split between thousands of people. That’s why it’s usually a $20 bill. It’s not worth anyones time but yours and the lawyers. And this is not worth ANYONES TIME.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: BrerBear and DanCar