Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fed up w/not getting new FSD. Lawsuit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am tired of waiting for any significant updates on self driving. When I purchased the FSD feature several years back, they didn't tell me that my personal driving habits would keep me from being able to use their latest software for years. While I understand and appreciate the reluctance to push the updates to the masses, I paid for this, to the tune of thousands of dollars.

I live in the Chicago area and in order to drive these expressways, you have to follow a little closer than Tesla would like. Otherwise you get people cutting in front of you left and right. Otherwise, I drive just fine (according to their app).

I just saw the article on phantom breaking as well. I wonder if this is better in the new beta? Of course I can't tell you that because I have been kept from any significant improvements for years now. I am sorry, but years is too long for something you paid thousands for. To single out who is "worthy" of these improvements should have been spelled out before shelling out thousands for a "feature" that was supposed to be improved. A car only lasts so long and this is now a measurable part of my overall investment that I feel I should be compensated for. Or at least allow me to get my money back because as we all know, it isn't there yet.

Am I way off base here? Anyone else getting cut out from the beta that doesn't drive "perfect" enough for Elon?

Let me be clear though. Other than this major issue, the car has been really good. This FSD isn't like a $500 add-on. It is too expensive to not have the latest updates, especially when they are so important.

Lawsuit you say????? Then I say go for it but you better budget at least $500,000 for legal fees and investigations/studies or are you planing on going the Small Claims Court route?:eek:😅
That is what class action is about. Seems like there are a lot of people out there that are in a similar situation. Just seems like what Tesla is doing is wrong I am pretty sure I am not the only one that feels this way. I get things aren't perfect, but to hold back tech for years is not right.

my personal driving habits would keep me from being able to use their latest software for years

I agree that Tesla has failed to deliver on the FSD promise and a class action suit has merit, but the above portion of your argument has no merit. The FSD "beta" is not for generally release and all software vendors have the right to establish rules around who can receive beta software. If a driving habit requirement carries over to the general release then this point will have merit.

Reactions: Big Earl
Am I way off base here?

Yes, I think you are way off basis. I think there is this misconception that Tesla has released FSD that you paid for and Tesla is not letting you have it unless you pass some additional safety score requirement. And so people cry that is not fair. But that is not what is happening. The FSD you paid has not been released yet. And when it is released, you will get it. In fact, Elon has said he wants to release FSD later this year. Tesla is doing a "beta test" of unfinished FSD. So Tesla picked some Tesla owners to beta test FSD BEFORE it is released. To ensure proper use of the unfinished FSD Beta, Tesla added the safety score. But that is a requirement to be a beta tester of unfinished FSD, it is not a requirement to get the FSD that you paid for. You will still get that when Tesla releases it.

I don't get it... your personal safety score is based on how you drive, right? Why does it matter how YOU drive when it comes to FSD? Aren't you just monitoring the car without actively driving while FSD is active?
diplomat33 said:
In fact, Elon has said he wants to release FSD later this year.
Yeah... reading this while sitting in my Roadster 2.0 passing a Tesla Semi 😁
Elon is good at many things, but being accurate when it comes to timelines is not one of them.

Yes, I think you are way off basis. I think there is this misconception that Tesla has released FSD that you paid for and Tesla is not letting you have it unless you pass some additional safety score requirement. And so people cry that is not fair. But that is not what is happening. The FSD you paid has not been released yet. And when it is released, you will get it. In fact, Elon has said he wants to release FSD later this year. Tesla is doing a "beta test" of unfinished FSD. So Tesla picked some Tesla owners to beta test FSD BEFORE it is released. To ensure proper use of the unfinished FSD Beta, Tesla added the safety score. But that is a requirement to be a beta tester of unfinished FSD, it is not a requirement to get the FSD that you paid for. You will still get that when Tesla releases it.
The above narrative fits Tesla perfectly, not the consumer. Personally I am fine with a "beta". Their definition of a beta is EXTREMELY long. Long to the point where now 10's of thousands of people, because of a non-disclosed test score, are benefitting. Again, I am fine with this procedure as long as it had been disclosed. It used to be anyone could be in the beta, but that changed mid-course. I think I am struggling with the how long this is taking for general release. If that could be compressed, I wouldn't be posting any of this. I get that testing is needed. I also get that when you code something new, you want to baby step it in. Going on two years seems wrong though, especially when the life of a car is not forever. The fact that they haven't opened the beta up to more "risky" drivers tells me that this will take way beyond the end of the year. Remember, you are quoting a release date from Elon Musk.....has he ever hit his timelines?

Reactions: pilotSteve
The above narrative fits Tesla perfectly, not the consumer. Personally I am fine with a "beta". Their definition of a beta is EXTREMELY long. Long to the point where now 10's of thousands of people, because of a non-disclosed test score, are benefitting. Again, I am fine with this procedure as long as it had been disclosed. It used to be anyone could be in the beta, but that changed mid-course. I think I am struggling with the how long this is taking for general release. If that could be compressed, I wouldn't be posting any of this. I get that testing is needed. I also get that when you code something new, you want to baby step it in. Going on two years seems wrong though, especially when the life of a car is not forever. The fact that they haven't opened the beta up to more "risky" drivers tells me that this will take way beyond the end of the year.

Well, I think a big part of the problem is Tesla's own doing because they promised and sold FSD going all the way back to 2016 with claims it just needed validation and regulatory approval (which was a lie). Tesla created this expectation among consumer that they have been struggling to meet every since. I do think Elon naively thought FSD would be easy so he thought it would not be a big deal to start selling it before it was actually finished. But, when you sell a product that does not exist, there is going to be a lot of pressure to finish it and there will be a lot of consumers understandably frustrated. If Tesla had just said that they were working on FSD and only sold it and released it when it was actually ready, I think there would be much less complaining.

Remember, you are quoting a release date from Elon Musk.....has he ever hit his timelines?

No, he hasn't. And I am not saying he will be able to release FSD this year. I am just stating what he has said.

I don't get it... your personal safety score is based on how you drive, right? Why does it matter how YOU drive when it comes to FSD? Aren't you just monitoring the car without actively driving while FSD is active?

Elon is good at many things, but being accurate when it comes to timelines is not one of them.
I’ll let you in on a little secret, it matters because “Full Self Driving” is a driver assist package. It doesn’t actually drive the car on your behalf as the name suggests.

People really need to wake up when it comes to FSD’s capabilities.

General statement:

If a consumer feels they paid for something that was falsely advertised and/or advertised in a misleading manner, then that's what civil court is for, especially in America.

As far as class action suits, typically the law firms come out the big winners, not necessarily the consumers.

Because there has to be skin in the game for testers. It has to be something earned and then something that can be taken away or people wouldn't diligently monitor the Beta software.

As much as I love FSD Beta (I've had it on 3 different cars), left completely unattended, it will eventually cause a wreck. FSD Beta is a really advanced drivers assistance package (as just posted by 2101Guy). We are years away from the car being able to drive unattended and there are questions on the real possibilities of L5 driving with the current hardware setup and placement.

Until it's absolutely out of Beta, which may be never, there will always be wheel nag, nanny camera, and strikes.

"Wide release by the end of the year" will likely age as well as V11 by February, then V11 by end of Summer.

I’ll let you in on a little secret, it matters because “Full Self Driving” is a driver assist package. It doesn’t actually drive the car on your behalf as the name suggests.

People really need to wake up when it comes to FSD’s capabilities.
Not really a secret. Read my post, I wrote "Aren't you just monitoring the car without actively driving while FSD is active?", so I am well aware that the so called "Full Self Driving" is more like "Occasional Self Driving under favorable conditions that can require you to take over at any given time".

The question remains why a personal safety score matters in order to use FSD. If anything, it should prevent me from driving the car manually if it thinks I'm not a safe driver.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Not really a secret. Read my post, I wrote "Aren't you just monitoring the car without actively driving while FSD is active?", so I am well aware that the so called "Full Self Driving" is more like "Occasional Self Driving under favorable conditions that can require you to take over at any given time".

The question remains why a personal safety score matters in order to use FSD. If anything, it should prevent me from driving the car manually if it thinks I'm not a safe driver.
If you understand the first portion of your post, then the second is a troll.

You are required to fully invest in monitoring FSD Beta to not create accidents. It's a major reason why there hasn't been numerous serious accidents on Beta...it's certainly not because the car avoids those type of situations.

are benefitting.

This is where the argument falls apart. I had FSD beta on my previous MSP, and it is, in no way, a benefit. You have to watch it like a hawk, it drives (and still does, from videos) like a nervous teenager just learning to drive. It's at best a parlor trick to show friends while you watch it spin the wheel and do its thing, and it's thanks to the investment of time and energy and bug reports and videos of a small fraction of those thousands of beta testers that the software is improving gradually. When it actually is smooth and safe and a true benefit - when my car can come pick me up or allow me to read while it takes me to work, then I will want it. In the meantime, I haven't even bothered requesting FSD beta on my Plaid, despite paying for FSD. It's just extra work.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
Related topic. There is some class action suit about "phantom braking" recently filed in San Francisco court. I won't give any opinion on the lawsuit.
I will say I experienced phantom braking on the freeway several times and thus reluctant to use autopilot (aka TACC). This is but one FSD feature.
Tried autosteer but it has its own share of issues, don't use it any more. Keeps the vehicle too close to large trucks for my comfort level. I like to manually steer to give a wider berth.
These were both features included in our Tesla purchase.
Never got FSD.

Last edited: