Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fed up with supercharging, going back to ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried holding out for the 100D but ended up with the 90D when they threatened free Supercharging would end at the end of 2016.
Technically, I think it did end in 2016. I mean, IIRC, by purchasing before the end of 2016, you got free supercharging on any S or X you purchase for life (without needing a referral code) where I only have free supercharging for the X I purchased in Q3 2017 (and any future purchase where a referral code is still available). Is that correct?

In the meantime, I'm trying to get a 50A 240V receptacle at a relative's house in the area where I currently can't get a fast charge so that it won't continue to be an issue.
It definitely helps! I had a 14-50 outlet installed at my fathers in Nebraska. Fortunately, my brother already had a 6-50 outlet in his workshop in Kansas. I always charge there as much as possible before leaving for my return trip home and minimize the time I have to spend at Superchargers. I do calculate the kWh used and compensate them accordingly.

Technically, I think it did end in 2016. I mean, IIRC, by purchasing before the end of 2016, you got free supercharging on any S or X you purchase for life (without needing a referral code) where I only have free supercharging for the X I purchased in Q3 2017 (and any future purchase where a referral code is still available). Is that correct?

Actually, they extended it two more weeks into January 2017. We had an order in for another 90D but changed it over to a 100D once the larger battery was announced. That car didn't originally have free supercharging when delivered in March 2017 but Tesla was nice and added it retroactively (for current owner, doesn't tranfer when sold) when they brought back free Supercharging via a referral code a couple months later. Cars with Supercharging from the first two weeks of January 2017 and earlier have Supercharging that will remain with the car once it is sold.

The problem is people topping off. Surcharge should start at 85%!

It does already in states where they charge by time not by kWh. People that don't know this pay for their ignorance. People that do know unplug ASAP and go down the road.

For example my state is
$0.20 per minute above 60 kW
$0.10 per minute at or below 60 kW

If throttling cuts me down to 30 kW I'm paying twice as much per kWh received sitting there for a 100% charge than I was when it hit the 60.0 KW mark.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I feel you, @MorrisonHiker . I notice it seems to be people from a certain coastal area who are telling how things are and how to do things in the middle flyover states, when they don't seem to know how things actually are.

I've had a few of these long distance situations, where starting as full as you can and stretching out the energy as far as you can was just what you had to do. I was having to drive from Sisters, OR to Baker City, OR (no Supercharger in Bend at that time and after backtracking from finding that the CHAdeMo in Redmond was out of order). I was filling as far as I could possibly get at a CHAdeMo and really preheating the car, and I set my cruise control at 45-47mph for the ENTIRE way with no heat at all through the mountains just to make it--238 miles. Yes, there are 40 amp AC charging possibilities along the way, but I was a bit time crunched and getting to not stop at all was going to be a time saver. People sometimes forget this part about the difference in charging speeds. If the only charging along your extra long route is 40A, that's about 9-10kW. Well, why unhook from a CHAdeMo or Supercharger that is still supplying 30 or 20kW? That's still more than double the charging speed, and will be saving you time, versus the much longer stop at the slow 9kW rate in the middle. And this assumption that any time you're using a stall = blocking someone is pretty far-fetched B.S. It's not like that in the middle of the country. I mean, by definition, we're talking about scenarios/locations where there isn't much infrastructure, so it's a given that EVs also aren't very popular there with lines waiting for the chargers.

I can already hear the argument, "But when there are more cars, you WILL be blocking people!" It's a self-solving problem. In a few more years, when there are more cars, there will also be a lot more charging locations, so there will be less of these places where you are having to cover really long stretches without decent infrastructure.

It takes you 30 min to charge the last 10kwh. Meanwhile, someone could be sitting in line for 30 minutes while you are "topping off". It might not matter as you don't have enough traffic where you are, but it will be a problem when more starts coming. Tesla isn't building a new charger for every car being sold.

We used to have free charging in many places (non Tesla sites). It worked great in 2013, now those spots are a nightmare as people plug it in all day and don't move. Better yet, you have a dumb Volt charging at 3.3kwh, taking the only spot in the area!

The point is that there are rare circumstances where a 100% charge is needed. I have not had to do it yet and I'm very curtious and aware of available chargers. I live in an area where there are no chargers, there is one about 40 minutes away but it's on a route that I may take once every few years. However, there are chargers in almost every direction from my house to the locations I'm going, all over an hour away. If I was coming from the opposite direction to go to a ski resort etc near where I live I would absolutely need to do a 100% charge at the last supercharger on the route in order to make the round trip. This will change in the next 1-3 years but that doesn't help today.

It takes you 30 min to charge the last 10kwh. Meanwhile, someone could be sitting in line for 30 minutes while you are "topping off". It might not matter as you don't have enough traffic where you are, but it will be a problem when more starts coming. Tesla isn't building a new charger for every car being sold.

We used to have free charging in many places (non Tesla sites). It worked great in 2013, now those spots are a nightmare as people plug it in all day and don't move. Better yet, you have a dumb Volt charging at 3.3kwh, taking the only spot in the area!
Heh, it's awesome when I predict the future:

I can already hear the argument, "But when there are more cars, you WILL be blocking people!" It's a self-solving problem. In a few more years, when there are more cars, there will also be a lot more charging locations, so there will be less of these places where you are having to cover really long stretches without decent infrastructure.
And of course this is still the person who lives in the EV-dense California area projecting what he sees onto Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Idaho, etc. where it's not like that.

A car pulled out and I pulled right in.
An asshole came from the corner trying to take my spot,
he left his car right in the middle of the road, walked out of his car,
stood in front of my car and won’t let me pull all the way in.
He told me he was here first and refused to talk to me.
You should get a dashcam and show the recording on your smartphone to this stupid assole.
However, better safe than sorry....

I experienced this kind of situation, principally at a stop sign, where a driver barely slow down
and immediately start while I was suppose to move first.

Or when I try to park in a street between tow cars, and suddenly while I was backing up into
the vacant spot, an other enter the front of his car into the spot, blocking me.

Last edited:
just ordered an X, so i don't have home charging yet but my first supercharging experience was terrible. was test driving a model 3 that i rented, had to charge it back up. headed from oc to LA to return.

1st stop, supercharger in santa ana was 12/12 full at 1pm on a weekday with 3 cars waiting. lame. what are these people doing. waited 10 minutes, one car left and one in line took a spot. checked the map, saw that buena park, only 6/8 stalls full, and there was a tesla store so i could check out the showroom. so i drove there instead. of course when i got there 2 of the stalls were actually coned off and not working. :mad: and the other 6 were full with two cars waiting. ugh. sat there for 20 minutes. no one moved. **** this. drove to hawthorne where it said 3/12 full. by the time i got there 10/12 were full and i had supercharger anxiety that i was going to not get a spot and jammed into a spot as fast as i could. sat there for 30 minutes in the car to charge because there was absolutely nothing to do at the design center. boring as hell. how do people wait for 30 minutes for a fill up.

i could have filled up a rental ICE <5 minutes at the gas station 1/2 mile from my house. instead this fiasco took prob over an hour of my time, waiting at 2 superchargers and waiting for charge at another one.

even before i get my first tesla i am already supremely annoyed with the lack of available superchargers in california despite constant advertisement of this perk by sales. i'll have a home charger so i hope it won't be an issue, but i'm glad i'm keeping my ICE.

Unfortantely with cell phones, you are not going to get people to stop abusing it as they have other entertainment. You can only get rid of them by hitting their wallet or make the wait so long that it changes their habit. If you study some of the stations, you will see they are extra pack Sunday night as the people nearby will try to fill up before the start of a work week.

You can keep Your ice car, but you will learn you won’t put many miles on it after driving the x...

just ordered an X, so i don't have home charging yet but my first supercharging experience was terrible. was test driving a model 3 that i rented, had to charge it back up. headed from oc to LA to return.

1st stop, supercharger in santa ana was 12/12 full at 1pm on a weekday with 3 cars waiting. lame. what are these people doing. waited 10 minutes, one car left and one in line took a spot. checked the map, saw that buena park, only 6/8 stalls full, and there was a tesla store so i could check out the showroom. so i drove there instead. of course when i got there 2 of the stalls were actually coned off and not working. :mad: and the other 6 were full with two cars waiting. ugh. sat there for 20 minutes. no one moved. **** this. drove to hawthorne where it said 3/12 full. by the time i got there 10/12 were full and i had supercharger anxiety that i was going to not get a spot and jammed into a spot as fast as i could. sat there for 30 minutes in the car to charge because there was absolutely nothing to do at the design center. boring as hell. how do people wait for 30 minutes for a fill up.

i could have filled up a rental ICE <5 minutes at the gas station 1/2 mile from my house. instead this fiasco took prob over an hour of my time, waiting at 2 superchargers and waiting for charge at another one.

even before i get my first tesla i am already supremely annoyed with the lack of available superchargers in california despite constant advertisement of this perk by sales. i'll have a home charger so i hope it won't be an issue, but i'm glad i'm keeping my ICE.

i could have filled up a rental ICE <5 minutes at the gas station 1/2 mile from my house.
instead this fiasco took prob over an hour of my time, waiting at 2 superchargers and waiting for charge at another one.

gas pump .jpg

The Ford Model T and Its Effect on U.S. Gas Stations

"Dedicated gas stations began to appear in the United States around 1905,
the very first of which was built in St. Louis, Missouri.

The release of the Model T in 1908 began the age of automobiles for the United States,
sharply increasing the presence of supporting “filling stations,”
which would later take on the name “gas stations,” around the country.

On May 26th, 1927, Henry Ford watched the 15-millionth Ford Model T pull away from the assembly line.

According to the 2002 census, the United States maintains 121,446 gas stations."

Tesla opens new largest Supercharger station in the world

Tesla opens another giant 50-stall Supercharger station – largest in the world

Tesla unveils its largest Supercharger station in the US — and it kind of looks like a truck stop

wechatimg1294.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
You can also trash your smartphone, and by a Kodak camera.

Though i understand the merits of an electric vehicle (hence the fact i am buying one) the fanaticism of many (not all) EV owners is a bit odd. They feel so superior to any ICE driver and look down on them. Noticed that while on these forums the past few weeks. Its like that smug episode on south park about the prius drivers.

EVs have their place and are likely the future but there are still limitations regarding driving an electric vehicle and still many conveniences of a traditionally powered vehicle. Not even close to a comparison between a smartphone and kodak. But many EV (esp tesla is seems) owners especially seem to be way over the top on this.

I hope im not joining some crazy cult by buying one.

You can keep Your ice car, but you will learn you won’t put many miles on it after driving the x...

I compared the model 3 to my current 911 and vastly preferred the visceral driving experience of my ICE to an EV. I doubt the model X when i receive it will change that too much.

I am buying the X though as a matter of practicality, as i have extra solar energy to spare, my family is growing, and my commute is not conducive to driving a sports car around. Not to say i wont enjoy the X, because it seems like a fantastic car, but i doubt it will pull me away from my 911 on my days off. We will see.

Sounds like you might be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I don't disagree with you abou the actions of other Tesla drivers sitting in spots not charging, but your reaction seems a bit over the top.

Additionally, if you agree with the mission of Tesla or any EV for that matter, I think you are missing the bigger picture. Admitedly, right or wrong, I am a full EV fanboy because I believe in the mission, so I wouldn't let some jerks dissuade me from what I believe to be the greater good.

However, if a few bad experiences are enough to turn you off an entire new mode of travel, than EV's are probably not for you in the first place.

Reactions: Merrill
In some ways SuperChargers are like urban traffic. When you are new to a city the traffic seems horrible. You get caught out all the time and are often late to your destination.

Then after a bit, you get more knowledgeable about the system. Learn where the congestion is and what times it gets the worst. You begin to time your trips and learn work arounds to arrive at your destination on time. In the beginning there is lots of anxiety when you see the traffic stopping in front of you and you realize you are in for it.

Superchargers are a little like that. Most of them have lots of free spots, but those in dense urban areas often get clogged up by nearby owners topping off to save on their electric bill at home. They have no concern about causing others to wait, and are willing to put up with a line, as they go on their dead time and can use the waiting to catch up on emails and such.

As long as those charges cost less than at home, the lure of FREE CHARGING will bring them out. See the same lines at Costco stations. People wait in long lines, constantly searching to change into the faster moving lines, but again, the lure of cheaper fuel is strong.

After you have your Tesla for a while, you also will get save to the most efficient ways to charge. Wake up every morning with a fresh charge from your home system and know where the EZ on and EZ off Superchargers are on your planned trips. You get in the rythem and go smoothly about your trips.

Though i understand the merits of an electric vehicle (hence the fact i am buying one) the fanaticism of many (not all) EV owners is a bit odd. They feel so superior to any ICE driver and look down on them. Noticed that while on these forums the past few weeks. Its like that smug episode on south park about the prius drivers.

EVs have their place and are likely the future but there are still limitations regarding driving an electric vehicle and still many conveniences of a traditionally powered vehicle. Not even close to a comparison between a smartphone and kodak. But many EV (esp tesla is seems) owners especially seem to be way over the top on this.

I hope im not joining some crazy cult by buying one.

Something you have to keep in perspective, only very recently has Tesla had a product accessible to the "average" consumer. Even then at 55K the Model 3 is on the very upper limits of what one could consider an "average" car purchase. Most of us who've owned Tesla(s) for awhile bought in for reasons that are more important to some than others. For some it's about trying to do their part for the environment, for others it's the crazy performance, and yes for some, it's about status... As Tesla continues to broaden their customer base you'll see less of the "die-hards" and more of the "average" consumer. But that road is just beginning and for now you'll encounter a fair share of owners who's purchase motivations are not those shared by the "average" consumer...

The only question that really matters is why are you buying one and the only person that question should even remotely matter too is of course, you. My boss likes to give me a fun hard time about owning a Tesla and my response are almost always some variation of "because I can and I want to"... :)

Jeff