Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fed up with supercharging, going back to ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once Tesla is over "production hell" for the Model 3, we'll see a rapid increase of new Tesla owners using the superchargers - which will continue to accelerate over the next year. Even though FUSC (Free Unlimited Supercharging) is not included with the Model 3's, we should expect to see increasing utilization of the superchargers - and it will likely be difficult for Tesla to expand quickly enough to avoid having some superchargers getting swamped.

Continuing to add more supercharger locations and chargers at existing location is one part of the solution.

The other is more effective use of the superchargers - and this is where Tesla could do so much more than threatening to charge idle parking fees.

They know where the cars are located - they know which cars are charging - and should even be able to tell if a car is in a charging spot - and not connected (with the possible exception of chargers located inside buildings). For cars with AP2 - they even have cameras scanning the area when the cars are in the vicinity of the chargers.

They have a lot of information, and even without any attendants at the supercharger locations, they could use that data to implement better management and utilization of the superchargers.

Note that Tesla hasn't provided any official document on the supercharger usage policy. The Purchase Agreement, which is likely the only legally binding agreement doesn't provide any information on supercharger usage.

So Tesla could make software changes to help provide better supercharger utilization and back that up with a policy stating how the superchargers are and are not to be used - such as owners abusing their supercharger privileges could have that feature disabled (for a penalty period) - and their cars could even be instructed not to allow them to even pull into a supercharger space.

While the OP's concerns are valid - and are hopefully only impacting a small number of Tesla owners today, Tesla will likely have to do more than continuing to add more chargers, if they are going to prevent this issue from becoming more widespread and start impacting sales.

And this is somehow better?
li-costco-gas-20120704.jpg

We see this literally everyday in Palm Springs when we are there in the winter. I waited for Angela in the car once while she was in the eye doctors in Costco. Most people waited 45 minutes or more. It’s like that EVERY DAY. Can’t even imagine. And it stinks.

Supercharging is so stressful, there is no form of line like the gas station. If you arrive first, give the other driver a courtesy heads up.

I will just take my ICE next time to avoid using superchargering. Enough of this non sense human

• Disagree
Reactions: dhrivnak
To be honest, even with a queue like that, you'd still be outta there in about 15-20 minutes. Most likely faster than any Supercharging stop. Definitely faster if one needed to Supercharge nearly to full from empty.

But, you need to sit in the car while waiting your turn at the gas station. At least with Supercharging, you can leave your car and get something to eat while charging. Also, that line looks like a lot more than 15 to 20 minutes. Granted, it has been a very long time since I've been to a gas station so I could be wrong.

I literally parked right in front of the chargers and waited a good 10 minutes, a driver even acknowledged me that he just needed to few more minutes before I can take his spot. no one was waiting in front of any charger except me.
Can you imagine the hell if everyone would wait "literally" in front of filled up superchargers? Isn't it more logical to form a line? I think you might have missed that line and "literally parked in front of the chargers".

A car pulled out and I pulled right in. An asshole came from the corner trying to take my spot,
Is it possible that an asshole was parked "literally in front of the chargers"?

We see this literally everyday in Palm Springs when we are there in the winter. I waited for Angela in the car once while she was in the eye doctors in Costco. Most people waited 45 minutes or more. It’s like that EVERY DAY. Can’t even imagine. And it stinks.

It's like that at all the Costco here in So Cal. :p I don't get gas at Costco even though I would have saved hundreds in a year as I drove 30,000 miles a year. Even at a gas station with no wait, I have to spend about 8 to 10 hours a year at gas stations getting gas. If I am to get gas at Costco every time, I would be spending about a day or 2 a year at the gas station every year!

I owner a model S since 2014, then switched to X in 2017. The number of superchargering station have qouad tripled, but at the same time, those smaller stations are overly clouded.

I don’t use supercharger that much, maybe 2 to 3 times year. Never had good experience. Today, I needed about 20miles of charge to get home, stopped at a station by the mall, most teslas are not even charging.

I literally parked right in front of the chargers and waited a good 10 minutes, a driver even acknowledged me that he just needed to few more minutes before I can take his spot. no one was waiting in front of any charger except me.

A car pulled out and I pulled right in. An asshole came from the corner trying to take my spot, he left his car right in the middle of the road, walked out of his car, stood in front of my car and won’t let me pull all the way in . He told me he was here first and refused to talk to me. After few attempts to tell him I was here first, traffic already built up, and I saw another Tesla pulling out so I back out of the charger and took that spot.

I am sick of these Tesla assholes. Going back to ICE
So I guess we can delete the Super and just call them Chargers? I hope that helps.

I think OP has a much bigger problem than issues at a supercharger, emotional much?

I had to wait for the first time at a supercharger yesterday, pulled into San Mateo in Bay Area and all 8-10 stalls were full. They did have an attendant/vallet that was parking/moving cars for those that wanted to go shop. We got a spot within 3 minutes and I sat in car while family went into Whole Foods. I also left as soon as I had enough since there were 2-3 waiting.

Luckily I live outside of the Bay Area and typically use Manteca or Sacramento/Roseville for regular trips to those areas, these chargers are never more than half full.

Even if they were, no chance I would throw myself on the ground and have a tantrum, but it takes all kinds I guess. Bye now.

Superchargers were developed to reduce range anxiety for long distance travel. Idea was that most owners would charge up, in their garage overnight, and that charge would last them all day. Only need to Supercharge when away from your home base.

Tesla decided to make these chargers "Free Forever". As they say, no good deed goes unpunished, and that FREE part inticed many local people to use the Superchargers as their regular local charging station to avoid adding to their personal electric bills.

Imagine just how long the lines would be if Costco were to offer "Free Forever" gasoline to their customers. People would line up forever to get such a deal.

Most lines at Superchargers are caused by local people plugging in while they shop. I have even seen people arriving at Superchargers with another car along. They plug in, and jump into the other car to ride away. These are probably not travelers, but local people working the system.

I believe it is the FREE aspect that is causing this congestion. Tesla has now begun to bill customers for charging at Superchargers. They are also billing congestion fees if people dwadle long after their cars are fully charged. This should go a long way to reduce the congestion.

I believe that congestion is only a problem at less than 1% of the locations. Mostly the Urban areas where it is convenient to get the FREE juice. Sometimes you will get congested on heavily traveled routes on holiday weekends or special events.This is also being addressed by the addition of hundreds more Supercharger stalls in needed areas.

I believe that there are currently many more electric travel chargers being installed that gas pumps. As the EV revolution takes place the charging will become ever more convenient.

Guess if you look only at the congested areas it seems pretty inconvenient, however most of the places have empty chargers waiting patiently for someone to plug in.

That's interesting. In early April I was staying at one of the hotels there, so I drove past that site at least a dozen times at various times of day. It was never full for any of them, usually had only 2 or 3 cars at it.

Are you basing your assessment on being there, or on the real time status from the center screen? I know the screen sometimes shows stalls as full that aren't - presumably when it can't get a clear signal from them.

80% Being there/driving through in the past few weeks (and then driving to a different SC due to the usage).

20% from the screen - which has been conservative in my experience.

The one nice thing about Redondo is that it can fill and empty rapidly which is to say I’ve seen it go from 100% empty except me to 100% full in an hour - I attribute this to the mix of patrons.

Haven’t seen it close to empty at peak times for a year or more though. But it’s been full lately at peak times. Which makes sense.

The problem there is that with the third of the three hotel properties now built, they now have a guest per space parking challenge. I believe it unlikely that they will expand at that site. Fortunately there are sites nearby that could accommodate an SC. Call it Redondo #2 or Torrance #1 or South Bay #2 somewhere adjacent the 405. Further south away from the airport would be helpful.

I owner a model S since 2014, then switched to X in 2017. The number of superchargering station have qouad tripled, but at the same time, those smaller stations are overly clouded.

I don’t use supercharger that much, maybe 2 to 3 times year. Never had good experience. Today, I needed about 20miles of charge to get home, stopped at a station by the mall, most teslas are not even charging.

A car pulled out and I pulled right in. An asshole came from the corner trying to take my spot, he left his car right in the middle of the road, walked out of his car, stood in front of my car and won’t let me pull all the way in . He told me he was here first and refused to talk to me. After few attempts to tell him I was here first, traffic already built up, and I saw another Tesla pulling out so I back out of the charger and took that spot.

I am sick of these Tesla assholes. Going back to ICE

I feel you. Had to wait for a SC for the first time yesterday (San Mateo fashion island charger). I only had to wait about 10 minutes for a spot to open up so it wasn't that bad, but it's definitely frustrating when you're trying to grab enough juice to continue on your road trip. I think you are forgetting how much of a PITA getting gas for your daily driver is though.

I still contend that supercharging shouldn't be free, for anyone. Including S/X. How much of the congestion at SCs is due to locals grabbing a quick charge while shopping, even though they don't need it, just cause it's free?

C'mon guys, a forum is where we come together and unite for our common interests and not label our fellow car enthusiasts as assholes.

That said, the unfortunate reality here is that a BEV will take a longer time at the charger than an ICE at the pump. And the meanness at the charger will only increase once the 450,000 M3s hit the road.

Spread some good practices:
1. Charge at home.
2. If you need to charge outside, be considerate of other BEVs.
3. Charge only to what you need to get to your destination.
4. Never leave your BEV on the charger indefinitely.
5. If you must leave, carry a notebook + pen and stick a note to let other know when you will be back.
6. Do a random act of kindness to someone in distress and swap spots if necessary.

I suspect we will see a few "keyed" BEVs in the future.