Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal 2019 Tax Credit for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Intuit says that IRS Form 8936 (for EV tax credits), isn't available to file for anyone until February 5th: Federal Individual Forms Availability

I'm also waiting on Form 8911 (for EVSE) and that one isn't even on the list above.

I got so excited for my W-2 assuming I could file for my refund right away, but it looks like we all need to wait :(
They changed availability of 8936 form to 02/12/2020

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I have the same problem for my September purchased M3. 7500 instead of the expected 1875...
came here just to say this

form became available, filled it out with the correct year and purchase date, it's crediting me the full $7500

I am almost tempted to file it and let them come back and tell me it's wrong.. I can't imagine how many people waited for this and are now filing incorrect taxes and causing a huge headache

Scroll down from that page and click "Continue." It will take you to where you can enter those lines from Form 8911 (about the middle of the business expenses).

Just to note, this is different than the EV federal tax credit. That's Form 8936, which Intuit will have available to file in the main section of their app on Feb 5. Form 8911 is if you installed a charger, you can get 30% of the installation costs as a tax credit up to $1,000. It is buried in the business tax credits, but it has a section for residential installations.

now when I search 8911, it just brings me back to my tax breaks list and says "Got it. Let's get some more info about these additional tax breaks"

nowhere does it reference form 8911 or a charging setup deduction of any kind. this is so unintuitive it is mind boggling

when I did 8936, it immediately took me to a step by step data entry form to get the credit. 8911 just takes me back to my list and says nothing . I can't find anything in any of the subheadings even remotely related to form 8911 and nothing pops up automatically

any ideas?

• Funny
Reactions: house9
I don't know how any of you claim you got to fill out 8911. I called turbo tax today and they said the form won't be available until Feb 20.

I also let them know about the massive bug that does not automatically deduct 50% or 75% accordingly from 8936

I also bought a Model 3 in 2019. So I’m interested to see what the automated software like TurboTax have to say on the issue. With that being said......

I always structure my deduction so I owe the IRS at the end of the year. Then I can read the forums to see if I missed anything before I file my taxes on 15 April.
So if you expect to get a big deduction from the IRS, then redirect your exemption to the minimum standard deduction. This only works in hind sight.
On rare occasions, I find out the I RS owes me money at the end of the year. In those cases, I readjust my standard deduction and keep an eye on the changes in tax law.
One last note.
I’m an advocate for flat tax. Then we won’t need to worry about how much tax we pay and if we’re misssing out on some sort of tax deduction. It makes life easier if we know we’re paying some fixed percentage vs worrying about tax breaks and incentives from year to year.

Last edited:
turbo tax is pissing. me off. they said this would be updated today and it still does absolutely nothing when I click 8911

It's under "Deductions and Credits" > "Cars and Other Things You Own" as "Energy-Efficient Vehicle Charging Station." I was able to fill it out this morning.

Screenshot from 2020-02-20 08-43-19.png

It's under "Deductions and Credits" > "Cars and Other Things You Own" as "Energy-Efficient Vehicle Charging Station." I was able to fill it out this morning.

View attachment 513175
amazing, 45 minutes on hold with turbo tax, your response helped me faster than they could

I went through EVERY option before the "form" became available and they assured me it should just "pop up" when you press it. so today I didn't bother going through all the subheadings and just kept trying 8911 and it would just kick me back to the main screen

just looked where you showed and it is there. I filled out the amount and it made the deduction without having to show anything or prove any receipts. hopefully that doesn't cause an issue

finally I can file! thanks for your help

PS: TurboTax customer service is awful. I am likely switching next year

Reactions: willow_hiller