Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal 2019 Tax Credit for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, We are filing for our taxes, and H&R block is showing that we only are to receive a $1,750 tax credit, rather than the $3,750 that we were shown and expecting, and the tax credit shown on the IRS web site. Any idea why?

Attachments

• 20200110_153246_resized.jpg
    20200110_153246_resized.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 20200110_153919.jpg
    20200110_153919.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 170
Hey, We are filing for our taxes, and H&R block is showing that we only are to receive a $1,750 tax credit, rather than the $3,750 that we were shown and expecting, and the tax credit shown on the IRS web site. Any idea why?

It’s very early days, and a bunch of tax forms haven’t been finalized yet. I, personally, wouldn’t do my taxes until February.

Specifically, Form 8936 isn’t available in final form yet: Federal Individual Forms Availability

If your car was delivered in the first six months of 2019, you'd be eligible for up to $3750. If it was delivered in the last six months of 2019, it would be eligible for up to $1875.

As others have suggested, wait for the forms to be completed before filing.

Last edited:
Reactions: house9
Any update on this? I’m having the same exact issue. And it’s not because of our tax liability. At was purchased in March 2019. This is definitely an error. HR Block support weren’t able to help the first time I called them. The only way around it would be to list 7500 and then it would be halved to the correct amount. If audited, it’s easy to prove.

Any update on this? I’m having the same exact issue. And it’s not because of our tax liability. At was purchased in March 2019. This is definitely an error. HR Block support weren’t able to help the first time I called them. The only way around it would be to list 7500 and then it would be halved to the correct amount. If audited, it’s easy to prove.

Intuit says that IRS Form 8936 (for EV tax credits), isn't available to file for anyone until February 5th: Federal Individual Forms Availability

I'm also waiting on Form 8911 (for EVSE) and that one isn't even on the list above.

I got so excited for my W-2 assuming I could file for my refund right away, but it looks like we all need to wait :(

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Review the completed tax forms just before you have the option to file and you will see it says there 50% (or 25%) of the value you specified in the box when asked. So don't calculate how much credit you should get, instead enter the full amount of $7500 and the software will calculate the right amount.

I'm also waiting on Form 8911 (for EVSE) and that one isn't even on the list above.

Again, this only applies to people who installed a Wall Connector, NEMA 14-50, or made other modifications to their home in order to charge an EV, but I just discovered how to file form 8911 with Intuit Turbotax.

First, on the lower left menu, click on "Tax tools" and then "Tools" and then "Topic Search."

form_8911_1.png

In the menu, type 8911, and it will come up with the form where you can enter your totals.

form_8911_02.png

Hope this helps someone.

Again, this only applies to people who installed a Wall Connector, NEMA 14-50, or made other modifications to their home in order to charge an EV, but I just discovered how to file form 8911 with Intuit Turbotax.

First, on the lower left menu, click on "Tax tools" and then "Tools" and then "Topic Search."

View attachment 503865

In the menu, type 8911, and it will come up with the form where you can enter your totals.

View attachment 503866

Hope this helps someone.

I just went through these instructions and for some reason after I pick form 8911 from the list, it takes me to another page that says:

Business Credits Prepared Outside TurboTax
intgfx_line_gray_h1px_w540px.png

icn_dollar_ball.png
These are forms you would have already prepared outside of TurboTax."

it then lists more forms but does not include 8911. it does not prompt me to actually fill out an 8911 form. would you happen to have more knowledge on this or know what I may be doing wrong?

it then lists more forms but does not include 8911. it does not prompt me to actually fill out an 8911 form. would you happen to have more knowledge on this or know what I may be doing wrong?

Are you seeing the "Credit from line 7" box that I screencapped above? I think Intuit figured not many people would need Form 8911 and decided not to program the logic to calculate it. You'll need to fill out a paper 8911 to figure out what the value of box 7 is before entering it.

Form 8911 should be available from the IRS here eventually: About Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit | Internal Revenue Service But for now the PDF there is still for 2018. They have not published the 2019 version yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Are you seeing the "Credit from line 7" box that I screencapped above? I think Intuit figured not many people would need Form 8911 and decided not to program the logic to calculate it. You'll need to fill out a paper 8911 to figure out what the value of box 7 is before entering it.

Form 8911 should be available from the IRS here eventually: About Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit | Internal Revenue Service But for now the PDF there is still for 2018. They have not published the 2019 version yet.

no, when I select form 8911 from the list, there are no fields at all that pop up, instead I get this seemingly unrelated screen about business credits -- and I've filed no sort of business claims with my return thus far...

this credit for my HPWC and electrical expenses in addition to the Tesla car purchase credit itself are my last two items

I also ran this through HR BLOCK and their platform is much more intuitive -- if you choose an electric vehicle, you just put the year make model and VIN, type the full annual credit of $7500, and it reduces it to the correct credit depending on your purchase date (in my case, $1850)

Turbo Tax just brings you to some irrelevant list of other forms.. it makes no sense..this is literally the page I see after I click form 8911 in the dialogue box

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 3.53.31 PM.png

Turbo Tax just brings you to some irrelevant list of other forms.. it makes no sense..this is literally the page I see after I click form 8911 in the dialogue box

Scroll down from that page and click "Continue." It will take you to where you can enter those lines from Form 8911 (about the middle of the business expenses).

Just to note, this is different than the EV federal tax credit. That's Form 8936, which Intuit will have available to file in the main section of their app on Feb 5. Form 8911 is if you installed a charger, you can get 30% of the installation costs as a tax credit up to $1,000. It is buried in the business tax credits, but it has a section for residential installations.

I noticed this too, I'm waiting for TurboTax to pull in the 8936 form, but looking at the electronic version of Form 8936 it looks like Tesla and GM suffer a 50% hit on ANY tax credit you thought you were getting. If you bought in the beginning of 2019 and got the $3750 credit, you get 50% of that, and so on for the other credits. Kind of bummed out that this is the case, granted it wouldn't have swayed me from getting the car but still annoying that other EV brands get the full credit for whatever phase theirs is currently in.

I noticed this too, I'm waiting for TurboTax to pull in the 8936 form, but looking at the electronic version of Form 8936 it looks like Tesla and GM suffer a 50% hit on ANY tax credit you thought you were getting. If you bought in the beginning of 2019 and got the $3750 credit, you get 50% of that, and so on for the other credits. Kind of bummed out that this is the case, granted it wouldn't have swayed me from getting the car but still annoying that other EV brands get the full credit for whatever phase theirs is currently in.

Reading the form instructions as written, you're not wrong; but I think this is just poor wording.

For box 4a, the correct amount to enter for any Tesla vehicle is $7,500. And then in box 4b the phase-out percent is 50% if delivered before July 1, 2019, and 25% if delivered before January 1, 2020.

If you take the form literally and look up the 4a value on the IRS website, you'll be applying the phase-out percentage twice, essentially.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo and habeeb