Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal EV coming this budget 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s more that it’s an offer they don’t want people to go for, in order to have the rebate available for the SR+.

Yeah, I think they are probably keeping tight lipped about the option to upgrade for a fee, because that will make it pretty easy for the government to disqualify them from the program.....because they could do the same thing with any of their cars: buy a crippled P100DL for 44,999 that has 10km of EV range and does 0-60 in 1 minute....but then pay $140k to 'upgrade' it to full performance...where does it end? For now, I think they will keep the 'upgrade' off the books for a little while at least :)

While I agree they want more people to go for the SR+, I'm pretty sure they can't advertise something they can't deliver on. Isn't that the definition of bait and switch?

There is going to have to be an official answer to this. There will be a LOT of people contacting Tesla for this.

It's just wrong to begin with for the Federal gov't to limit the price of EV eligible for the rebate to be under $45k, whereas every provinces (with rebate) capped it at $75k. If they would have capped it at $75k, then even M3 AWD and model Y LR/AWD would have been eligible.

Too bad the stupid Ford gov't killed the EHVIP or else $19k rebate would have been a killer deal for a model 3 SR+!

Reactions: Vawlkus
So Standard Range can’t be upgraded after purchase even though Standard Range + uses the same hardware?
Ah, misunderstood your question.

In the past, Tesla has unlocked the software limited differences between versions of Ss and Xs for the normal price difference, no extra fees other than that.

Can't say one way or another for the 3 yet.

So I called Tesla and the rep said SR only does 150km range and can’t be upgraded after purchase

Oh that sucks. I'm actually considering the $44,999 "crippled" version. That's like $35k (BC) before delivery and taxes. I'm driving a Model 3 LR RWD so this would be for my wife. She drives less than 30km a day (and never uses autopilot; doesn't trust it) so it'd be good for a week; recharge over the weekend and it's ready to go for the next week. It's no different (range wise) with our old Nissan Leaf. Anything outside the city we would just use the LR RWD.

Was assuming that the "crippled" version could be "healed" in the future if needed.

One 'advantage' to the crippled version only using 1/3 or less of the battery is if they do it the right way, you have 3 'backup battery equivaltents' to switch over to once the first 1/3 of the cells run out of useable capacity....so this is truly a car that will outlast you given that most projections are model S batteries will reach 50% capacity after 20-25 years....so this battery will last upwards of 75 years if they 'shift' the cells over time :)

Obviously, just kidding here, but pointing out what a shame it would be if they truely left the 2/3+ of battery capacity completely unuseable forever...I doubt things will stay that way, but they also can't just market the fact that you can upgrade after purchase...that would be a pretty obvious way to raise some eyebrows and possibly have the government revise the rules to exclude them.

Like I said in above post; technically Tesla could offer a model S that is severely crippled, but the 'upgrade' it to full performance after delivery. That kind of avoids the intent of the program completely to do so, and I'm happy Tesla has made a move to get on the list, but it is a little bit shady if they say you can just upgrade after purchase and market things as such. If you want to purchase on risk that they will offer the upgrade, that's a different story and for what its worth I agree that they eventually will allow the extra capacity to be unlocked. But, I'm not sure I would want to 'bet' 45 k on that :)

So I called Tesla and the rep said SR only does 150km range and can’t be upgraded after purchase
They told the folks at the Tesla Owner's Online otherwise

Update: Tesla tells me the standard range Model 3 (150km) that qualifies for the
1f1e8-1f1e6.png
federal rebate will be able to be range unlocked but that process is not in place yet in their system. No costs provided at this time.

Update: Tesla has informed me the unlock takes the car to an SR+ and one will have to pay the cost difference.

7:13 AM - 1 May 2019

• Informative
Reactions: Vawlkus and pcons
They told the folks at the Tesla Owner's Online otherwise

Update: Tesla tells me the standard range Model 3 (150km) that qualifies for the
1f1e8-1f1e6.png
federal rebate will be able to be range unlocked but that process is not in place yet in their system. No costs provided at this time.

Update: Tesla has informed me the unlock takes the car to an SR+ and one will have to pay the cost difference.

7:13 AM - 1 May 2019
Hmmm, that actually makes some sense. So you can't have it 'both ways' and buy the SR- and have only a 2k upgrade to go to SR, you have to go all the way to SR+ so you may as well order it from the get go....but I thought there were other differences between SR and SR+ like better seats (doesn't SR come with non power seats) and a better audio system in SR+ vs SR? Unless that changed along the way and SR was changed to be a truly limited version of SR+ with all other hardware the same...

Hmmm, that actually makes some sense. So you can't have it 'both ways' and buy the SR- and have only a 2k upgrade to go to SR, you have to go all the way to SR+ so you may as well order it from the get go....but I thought there were other differences between SR and SR+ like better seats (doesn't SR come with non power seats) and a better audio system in SR+ vs SR? Unless that changed along the way and SR was changed to be a truly limited version of SR+ with all other hardware the same...
Yeah, the SR was changed to a software limited (battery partly locked, no audio streaming, no sat view on NAV and I'm probably missing some others) SR+ with hardware the same.

Nope. So few people were buying the "base model" Model 3 that they just released a software limited 3, with Partial Premium interior.