TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Federal EV incentive announced soon?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by lukex4, Jan 24, 2019.

1. lukex4

lukex4 Member

An article from La Presse (in French) (Google translate) states that Ottawa wants to offer a financial help for EV buyers. An announcement should be coming soon told Catherine McKenna at the Montreal Electric Vehicule Show.

No detail yet on what exactly that means: is it a rebate, a tax credit, GST exemption?

Let's hope it's real...

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  2. Electromanic

Electromanic Member

3. ben1628

ben1628 Member

Hopefully, they won't do a half ass job.

However, I'm sure it won't be $14,000 rebates. It would probably be some kind tax credit similar to USA

4. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

It is so bad that all government sponsored charging stations are Chademo or Ccs which Model 3 does not support, and Tesla won’t want to support them in the near future.

5. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

That's Tesla's problem, not the government's. They have no business propping up proprietary charging technologies.

• Like x 1
  6. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

The reporter's opinion is that some type of a rebate is coming. However, the Minister didn't commit to a rebate when she was asked directly about it.

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Informative x 1
  7. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Tesla is committed to creating CCS adapters for the S and X in Europe. I expect they'll create a version of those for us stateside given how little additional effort is involved in doing so, and its reasonable to expect that this adapter will work with 3s here as well, though it's not guaranteed since the CHAdeMO one apparently doesn't (did we ever get an explanation for why it doesn't?)

8. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Active Member

Either the 3 or the Chademo adapter needs a software update for functionality. There is a test model 3 that can use it, so maybe they ran into an issue while testing it? Dunno.

If what Ottawa has in mind is any kind of rebate incentive, it can only be a help.

The Model 3s headed to Europe already have a CCS plug on them, so it is doable. It’s just unclear what level of hassle it is to implement.

9. Funkmobile

Funkmobile Member

We won't know until they release the budget in Late February. They'll have to allocate money and they'll definitely be making a big announcement to go with it. You want them to announce a direct rebate because 100% of that money goes against the cost of your car. A tax credit in Canada is technically is usually only 15% of the stated amount (i.e. $10,000 tax credit is actually only worth $1,500 real dollars against your tax OWING).

Rebate programs are harder to implement because of different provincial rules and regulations so there's a lot of co-ordination involved and hence time to implement would be longer. A tax credit is easier/faster since the Federal government has more control over your tax returns and required documentation.

10. oakvillemike

oakvillemike Member

Or just make EVs tax-exempt!

• Like x 3
  11. ben1628

ben1628 Member

Tax credit is no good for retired guy :)

Tax exempt will be the 5% (GST rate), they cannot forced province to exempt their part

• Funny x 1
  12. lukex4

lukex4 Member

I wish it to be a rebate but I'll take anything they give...

13. x-cimo

x-cimo Member

#13 x-cimo, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Does anyone know if typically such budget announcement apply to the full year ( e.g. retroactive to January 1st 2019 ) ? I'm about to take delivery of a Model3...

14. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I'll believe it when I see it. The last time they raised a trial balloon was a couple of years ago, and it was a paltry $3000. The government is more interested in exponentially increasing our greenhouse gas emissions by building fossil fuel infrastructure. Their green initiative didn't last the day after they got elected.

15. gabriel_bl

gabriel_bl Member

I would be also interested to know. I would like to order Model3 before my lease ends in April.

16. Eco Capitalist

I think that a GST exemption would be the easiest to implement. For those asking, it is highly unlikely it would be retro-active. Tax changes introduced in budgets are normally implemented mid year (July 1) or calendar year (January 1) to keep things simple for the CRA.

• Informative x 1
  17. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Too bad the major manufacturers don't make more EVs in Canada. Afaik, the only major plug-in Canadian-built currently is the PHEV version of the Pacifica.

Because of trade tensions caused by Trump, politicians may not want to be seen favoring the importation of cars made in the USA by Tesla or Nissan.