Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal EV incentive announced soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is so bad that all government sponsored charging stations are Chademo or Ccs which Model 3 does not support, and Tesla won’t want to support them in the near future.

Tesla is committed to creating CCS adapters for the S and X in Europe. I expect they'll create a version of those for us stateside given how little additional effort is involved in doing so, and its reasonable to expect that this adapter will work with 3s here as well, though it's not guaranteed since the CHAdeMO one apparently doesn't (did we ever get an explanation for why it doesn't?)

Either the 3 or the Chademo adapter needs a software update for functionality. There is a test model 3 that can use it, so maybe they ran into an issue while testing it? Dunno.

If what Ottawa has in mind is any kind of rebate incentive, it can only be a help.

The Model 3s headed to Europe already have a CCS plug on them, so it is doable. It’s just unclear what level of hassle it is to implement.

Hopefully, they won't do a half ass job.

However, I'm sure it won't be $14,000 rebates. It would probably be some kind tax credit similar to USA

We won't know until they release the budget in Late February. They'll have to allocate money and they'll definitely be making a big announcement to go with it. You want them to announce a direct rebate because 100% of that money goes against the cost of your car. A tax credit in Canada is technically is usually only 15% of the stated amount (i.e. $10,000 tax credit is actually only worth $1,500 real dollars against your tax OWING).

Rebate programs are harder to implement because of different provincial rules and regulations so there's a lot of co-ordination involved and hence time to implement would be longer. A tax credit is easier/faster since the Federal government has more control over your tax returns and required documentation.

I'll believe it when I see it. The last time they raised a trial balloon was a couple of years ago, and it was a paltry $3000. The government is more interested in exponentially increasing our greenhouse gas emissions by building fossil fuel infrastructure. Their green initiative didn't last the day after they got elected.

I think that a GST exemption would be the easiest to implement. For those asking, it is highly unlikely it would be retro-active. Tax changes introduced in budgets are normally implemented mid year (July 1) or calendar year (January 1) to keep things simple for the CRA.

• Informative
Reactions: x-cimo
Too bad the major manufacturers don't make more EVs in Canada. Afaik, the only major plug-in Canadian-built currently is the PHEV version of the Pacifica.

Because of trade tensions caused by Trump, politicians may not want to be seen favoring the importation of cars made in the USA by Tesla or Nissan.