Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal EV Tax Credit - Anyone get a certificate from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've received copies of the 2018 Model 3 Tesla Manufactures Certifications for both the RWD and AWD/AWD+P versions of the car, attached for anyone still dealing with the IRS on a 2018 return.
And also have the contact information for the agent assigned to Tesla who has offered to assist any others. If you need that, let me know and I can PM her info privately.

there is a specific Tesla agent at IRS? what was the outcome? Did they ask for state title?

I ask b/c there's some language on the IRS site about title date? I drove it off the lot on 6/29/19 but it title says 07/19

Section 4.07 of Notice 2009-89 provides that a vehicle is not “acquired” before the date on which title passes under state law. IRC 30D New Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service

Last edited:
there is a specific Tesla agent at IRS? what was the outcome? Did they ask for state title?

I ask b/c there's some language on the IRS site about title date? I drove it off the lot on 6/29/19 but it title says 07/19

Section 4.07 of Notice 2009-89 provides that a vehicle is not “acquired” before the date on which title passes under state law. IRC 30D New Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service
7/19 is probably the issue/ printing date, but it was yours (transfered to you) when you bought it (ie state would have come after you on 6/30 if it was involved in an incident).
I've heard of no issues from the IRS regarding use of the purchase/ drive off the lot date.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
7/19 is probably the issue/ printing date, but it was yours (transfered to you) when you bought it (ie state would have come after you on 6/30 if it was involved in an incident).
I've heard of no issues from the IRS regarding use of the purchase/ drive off the lot date.

Perfect.

I have my purchase check w/ 6/29 and MVPA but that has 6/2 date. Why doesn't Tesla have purchase/ drive off the lot date on tesla.com :( I guess I can call them if audited.

Lots of People and Automakers Have Cheated EV Tax Credit, Feds Say

The IRS has agreed to the IG report's recommendations in audit procedures, and it will be sending notices to all 16,510 taxpayers who made ineligible claims to the IRS by February 2021. If that's you, thank you for your prompt payment.

I've received copies of the 2018 Model 3 Tesla Manufactures Certifications for both the RWD and AWD/AWD+P versions of the car, attached for anyone still dealing with the IRS on a 2018 return.
And also have the contact information for the agent assigned to Tesla who has offered to assist any others. If you need that, let me know and I can PM her info privately.
what is the information because i am being requested to send mine to IRS

do you have that information ? I need that for my IRS audit

do you have that information ? I need that for my IRS audit

That posters account has not been on TMC since May of 2020. I suggest you not wait for them to reply to you here, and start the process of reaching out to tesla yourself to see if they can get you the information you are asking for:

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 4.47.26 PM.png

In the unlikely case you are audited, I'm sure it will be sufficient to present the MVPA showing the purchase date, and point the IRS to its own web site, which has a list of certified vehicles and their cut off dates:

IRC 30D New Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service
Not THAT unlikely... we had a “partial audit” on our 8936 for our Chevy Bolt last year. It was a really simple matter to resolve though, just provided the vin number and copy of the bill of sale. The dealership hadn’t provided any “certificate” to me so I just downloaded the one they provided to the IRS and included that... faxed it all over and never heard another peep about it.

Not THAT unlikely... we had a “partial audit” on our 8936 for our Chevy Bolt last year. It was a really simple matter to resolve though, just provided the vin number and copy of the bill of sale. The dealership hadn’t provided any “certificate” to me so I just downloaded the one they provided to the IRS and included that... faxed it all over and never heard another peep about it.
bill of sale @ typical dealer will have delivery date.. but in TSLA's case order date=/=delivery date.

I purchased the Tesla model 3, mid-range vehicle. I was audited and asked to supply the manufacturer's certification. I have tried to obtain it but have had no luck. Tesla rep told me, " we don't do manufacturer's certifications". Can you help?
Thanks much,
Leah Henry

I purchased the Tesla model 3, mid-range vehicle. I was audited and asked to supply the manufacturer's certification. I have tried to obtain it but have had no luck. Tesla rep told me, " we don't do manufacturer's certifications". Can you help?
Thanks much,
Leah Henry

try try Basic Search | Document Index System | US EPA

If you do find it please post MR and SR here too

Thanks much,
Leah Henry

Please see post #28 in this thread, where I showed that the person you are asking to help you has not been on TMC since 2020. That hasnt changed (their last access date is still the date shown in post 28.