TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Federal SmartWay program for green vehicles

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by ckessel, Mar 25, 2012.

1. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

#1 ckessel, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
    In browsing my credit union's loans, they had a "Green Vehicles" loan rate. It's just a .25% APR drop, but hell, might as well. The link points off to a federal program at SmartWay | US Environmental Protection Agency. Sadly, Tesla isn't on the list of vehicles (Green Vehicle Guide | US EPA). I emailed them via the "contact us" section and asked them why. Might help if others do the same. It certainly seems like the Model S would qualify since equivalent luxury cars (e.g. Lexus hybrids) are on the list, plus the Leaf and even the Coda are on the list.

2. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Last year B of A had a special rate for Tesla and a few other green cars. I'm not sure if it was the SmartWay program or not but the rate was too good to pass up even if you could have paid cash. In the end I financed half my Roadster with it.

I will follow up by asking them why Tesla isn't on the list, and also invite my local CU to participate. I'd rather support them than B of A.

3. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I heard back from SmartWay and they said the reason Tesla isn't listed is that Tesla hasn't provided them with the specs on their cars.

4. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

This is apparently still true as SmartWay doesn't yet list Tesla. I'll have to bug Tesla on this as it could affect where I choose to get my loan from.

5. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

And in mere minutes, Tesla responded and it's taken care of!

6. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

FWIW, Tesla still doesn't show up in the list of SmartWay cars.