Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal Tax credit when leasing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will not get to claim the credit on your taxes, but the $7500 is supposed to be reflected in the residual value in the lease agreement (i.e. residual value is raised by $7500, so you pay $7500 less in leasing fees over the life of the lease).

I don't think this is stated anywhere on the lease, so whether the residual value would actually be $7500 lower without the federal tax credit, I don't know.

Ok so please help me through this as I am not a math wiz. In general numbers, if I paid 106,000 and my buyback is 64,000 (61% residual value), it would have been worth 57,000 (54% residual value) so during my lease payments I am using the higher residual value which makes for a lower monthly payment?

The lease states the residual as $64k, so that is what the buyout is... unless they are willing to provide some other terms in writing, I wouldn't count on a lower purchase price.

If the market value is significantly lower than $64k, then they may be willing, but otherwise...

I'm not sure too many people have made it to this point to see what is offered.

when i leased my nissan leaf, i was entitled to the tax credit.... Im really not sure how you are not entitled to it... the tax credit is for the first person to register the car.... tesla gets their own tax credit for the car... i would dig further... the tax code does state it is for purchased and leased vehicles.
and depending on the state, you are entitled to a state tax credit as well... and some even allow a tax credit for the purchase and installation of the chargeing equipment

when i leased my nissan leaf, i was entitled to the tax credit.... Im really not sure how you are not entitled to it... the tax credit is for the first person to register the car.... tesla gets their own tax credit for the car... i would dig further... the tax code does state it is for purchased and leased vehicles.
and depending on the state, you are entitled to a state tax credit as well... and some even allow a tax credit for the purchase and installation of the chargeing equipment

Well, I hope you are not audited. You are NOT entitled to the Federal Tax Credit when you lease an EV. State credits are a different thing.

The tax credit belongs to the bank/leasing company not you. How they use that credit is up to them not you.

It would be a lot cleaner -- and ethical -- if in the leasing agreement the $7500 was taken off the top as a capital cost reduction to the sale price of the car. Then, the residual would be more reflective of what the actual value of the car may be in 3 years. And, it would be clear to the buyer... When they don't do this for leases, the $7500 has become profit for the dealers (Tesla excluded)... The dealers are not giving that $7500 to the bank/leasing company, you can bet on that.

Well, I hope you are not audited. You are NOT entitled to the Federal Tax Credit when you lease an EV. State credits are a different thing.
Please clarify. Based on a previous post, it mentioned it will be added to my residual value at the end of the lease. If this is not the case and the leasing company said it was "factored in, would that in fact be a misrepresentation?

Please clarify. Based on a previous post, it mentioned it will be added to my residual value at the end of the lease. If this is not the case and the leasing company said it was "factored in, would that in fact be a misrepresentation?

I believe Blueeyedme was responding to CUBldr97. If you lease, you cannot separately claim the credit on your own tax return like you would if you buy the vehicle. But if the leasing company makes an adjustment to the residual value to equivalently save you the same amount of money, that's fine.

This rule only applies to the federal tax credit of $7500. Some states have state credits or rebates as well, and they may or may not apply to a leased vehicle.

I've seen it said enough times to believe it: the $7500 is added to the residual value.
I'm not sure why that method is used, but it sure takes the luster off any thoughts of buying the car at end of lease.

Last edited:
It would be a lot cleaner -- and ethical -- if in the leasing agreement the $7500 was taken off the top as a capital cost reduction to the sale price of the car. Then, the residual would be more reflective of what the actual value of the car may be in 3 years. And, it would be clear to the buyer... When they don't do this for leases, the $7500 has become profit for the dealers (Tesla excluded)... The dealers are not giving that $7500 to the bank/leasing company, you can bet on that.

I agree 100%. This practice artificially inflates the residual value beyond the expected market value which makes no sense to me. If one wanted to purchase the car at the end of the lease, it's a penalty.

I agree 100%. This practice artificially inflates the residual value beyond the expected market value which makes no sense to me. If one wanted to purchase the car at the end of the lease, it's a penalty.

One of several reasons I will not be leasing. The tax in Texas is another. This makes the trade in guarantee look like the better option for some, but that also has some cost penalty and should only be viewed as a safety net or an easy walk away.