TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Federal Tax Credit

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by daniel, Mar 2, 2012.

1. daniel

daniel Active Member

If this has been answered before I couldn't find it.

What papers do I need to provide to my tax preparer in order to claim the federal tax credit for buying my Roadster? I think my salesman probably told me, but I've forgotten, and I don't see any mention of it, or any federal-looking forms, in my Roadster folder.

I could ask my advocate, but if I don't remember, maybe there are others out there who would appreciate the information also.

Thanks.

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

Print your own. PDF file. Hand to tax preparer.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf

3. strider

strider Active Member

Your accountant can fill out the form. All you need to provide is your bill of sale and something that shows the battery capacity (as the amount of the credit is based on battery capacity). It's been awhile now but if that is on the Bill of Sale you are good to go.

4. daniel

daniel Active Member

Thanks!

5. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Also, if you installed a charger at your home, check out IRS form 8911.

If you installed an HPC, then it's a no-brainer. If you installed an RV outlet and use the UMC at home, you may also want to claim the credit. Note, however, that unlike the $7500 vehicle rebate, this credit goes away if you're subject to AMT.

6. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

THANK's for helping me pay my taxes, Tesla! I'm finally able to take advantage of the credit (bought 3/13) by applying my overpayment to my Q1 2014 estimate.