Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal Tax Incentive debate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just doing a little fact checking before I vote. During the presidential debate Trump said he had given big incentives for electric cars. What was he talking about? I don't recall any new federal incentives in the last four years.
He was lying.

You can tell because he was speaking.

All existing federal EV incentives existed before the Trump administration.

Uh oh, I poked the MAGAts ;)

@schmluss, want to cite any federal EV incentives that the Trump administration implemented, supported, or promoted? I’ll wait. :)
Thank you for showing such great acceptance of others opinions. Name calling me for disliking your post is just childish and sad. Calling the President a liar for saying something that was at best misleading is why I disliked your post. I figured we could be better than this, but apparently you can’t. Good night.

Thank you for showing such great acceptance of others opinions. Name calling me for disliking your post is just childish and sad. Calling the President a liar for saying something that was at best misleading is why I disliked your post. I figured we could be better than this, but apparently you can’t. Good night.
I call lies what they are - lies.

“I’ve given big incentives for electric cars” is a lie. It’s not “misleading” or a “falsehood”. It’s a lie. The Trump administration actively opposes the existing federal incentives for EVs that were instituted prior to his assuming office. Trump’s statement on this program in the debate was a lie.

What “opinion” are you expressing that I should be showing acceptance for? Why would I be expected to respect the defense of an obvious and apparent lie?

I don’t personally remember Trump saying anything during the debate about EV incentives. The Trump administration has been very negative on EVs. This is not something he has been shy about stating his opposition to. I mean if he wants to take credit for not killing the remaining EV incentives for other manufacturers I guess that’s fine but it’s really not him doing anything...just not undoing something that Obama put in place.

Trump set to gut mileage standards, an attack on electric cars - Electrek

His Administration has continued the Federal Tax credit on electric vehicles as the President stated in the debate. Misleading? Yes. Liar? Only to those with TDS.
“His administration” has “continued” the federal tax credit on electric vehicles, despite their on the record and repeated opposition of it, because they have no power to change it, on account of the way powers are separated by the constitution.

Claiming credit for something you actively oppose, while being powerless to change it, is a lie. Not some soft-language euphemism like “misleading” preferred by those with an investment in keeping up the charade.

Trump HAS done everything in his power to roll back emissions requirements and any other levers at his disposal to disincentivize the adoption of EVs. So you’ll have to excuse me if I don’t entertain a fantasy world where we don’t call lies lies.

I call lies what they are - lies.

“I’ve given big incentives for electric cars” is a lie. It’s not “misleading” or a “falsehood”. It’s a lie. The Trump administration actively opposes the existing federal incentives for EVs that were instituted prior to his assuming office. Trump’s statement on this program in the debate was a lie.

What “opinion” are you expressing that I should be showing acceptance for? Why would I be expected to respect the defense of an obvious and apparent lie?
It’s not a lie when it demonstrably true. You can throw around words like lie all you want but the fact that the Federal government has paid out tax incentives the last 3.5 years for purchasing an electric car is true. It’s NOT an “obvious lie”. You can accept that or you can continue to name call which is sad and not very productive.

“His administration” has “continued” the federal tax credit on electric vehicles, despite their on the record and repeated opposition of it, because they have no power to change it, on account of the way powers are separated by the constitution.

Claiming credit for something you actively oppose, while being powerless to change it, is a lie. Not some soft-language euphemism like “misleading” preferred by those with an investment in keeping up the charade.

Trump HAS done everything in his power to roll back emissions requirements and any other levers at his disposal to disincentivize the adoption of EVs. So you’ll have to excuse me if I don’t entertain a fantasy world where we don’t call lies lies.

Look who’s lying now!? He had all three branches of government his first 2 years.

you can’t “roll back” emissions standards when each years cars are cleaner than the last.

It’s not a lie when it demonstrably true. You can throw around words like lie all you want but the fact that the Federal government has paid out tax incentives the last 3.5 years for purchasing an electric car is true. It’s NOT an “obvious lie”. You can accept that or you can continue to name call which is sad and not very productive.
“I’ve given big incentives for electric cars”.

It’s a direct quote. What has the subject of that sentence, Donald Trump, “given” in this case?

Nothing. He’s actually “given” less than nothing, insofar as he’s actively opposed to and lobbying against what the US government is currently giving in terms of incentives. He’s just powerless to change it.

So yeah. Donald Trump “giving” big incentives for EVs is a plain and simple lie. The US government has “given” incentives, in spite of Trump’s desire not to, but most rational people still consider Trump and the US government to be separate entities at this point.

This is also a lie. You seem to be adept in the trade! ;)
He is President, so “he” has given incentives over the last 3.5 years.

“rolling back” means less than before, but he is supporting a 1.5% improvement each year.

I think I’m really good at rebutting someone who isn’t that smart and apparently doesn’t know what a lie is.

Just doing a little fact checking before I vote. During the presidential debate Trump said he had given big incentives for electric cars. What was he talking about? I don't recall any new federal incentives in the last four years.

Honestly if this is what your vote is coming down to then you’ve an amazing life... sad but amazing