Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal Workplace Charging Legislation - EV-COMUTE Act

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lanny

Nov 29, 2011
MD
A lot of EV drivers in the Washington, DC area work at Federal facilities that don’t allow charging. The existing interpretation of the policy essentially bans charging stations for employees and contractors, even if they are willing to pay for electricity and equipment. Congress passed a bill a few years ago that made an exception for them but ignored the rest of the Federal workforce.

On May 9th, Rep. Zoe Lofgren (she drives an electric car) introduced HR 4645, the EV-COMUTE Act which will allow government employees to pay to charge their cars at Federal workplaces.

I’ve received details from Lofgren’s staff about the current status of the bill.

If this interests you, you might want to contact your Representative and ask them to support HR 4645.

Lanny

They say it will take an act of Congress before private vehicles will be allowed to charge at Federal facilities. That actually might happen.

I was on the phone with the staff of Congressman Thomas Massie (R-KY) earlier today. His staff reached out to me because they have followed my coverage of the Federal workplace charging issue on PlugInSites.

Rep. Massie who, by the way, drives a Tesla, sits on the House Transportation Committee. He recently proposed that the provisions of the EV-COMUTE Act (which failed in 2014) be amended to the Surface Transportation Bill now before Congress. That amendment was approved by a vote yesterday.

This is a big step toward getting EV charging at Federal facilities. The Transportation bill is up for a vote in the House later this week.

-Lanny

They say it will take an act of Congress before private vehicles will be allowed to charge at Federal facilities. That actually might happen.

I was on the phone with the staff of Congressman Thomas Massie (R-KY) earlier today. His staff reached out to me because they have followed my coverage of the Federal workplace charging issue on PlugInSites.

Rep. Massie who, by the way, drives a Tesla, sits on the House Transportation Committee. He recently proposed that the provisions of the EV-COMUTE Act (which failed in 2014) be amended to the Surface Transportation Bill now before Congress. That amendment was approved by a vote yesterday.

This is a big step toward getting EV charging at Federal facilities. The Transportation bill is up for a vote in the House later this week.

-Lanny

So, is this an "opening" by which we could get 50kw DCFC's installed at post offices around the country? That would be great! (I'm not holding my breath.)

The EV-COMUTE Act language was amended to the Surface Transportation bill which was approved by the House, and Senate this week. The bill now goes to the White House for the President's signature.

This will lift the major roadblock that existed for employees and contractors to charge their electric cars on Federal facilities.

Lanny

The EV-COMUTE Act language was amended to the Surface Transportation bill which was approved by the House, and Senate this week. The bill now goes to the White House for the President's signature.

This will lift the major roadblock that existed for employees and contractors to charge their electric cars on Federal facilities.

Lanny

Lanny,

Thanks for all the hard work tracking this... I am a little skeptical based on the language in the ACT though (and yes, I am a government employee who would love to charge at a reasonable cost at work). There can be no cost to the government. GSA is allowed to build chargers at government workplace but the cost to charge will have to offset the equipment, install, maintenance, and electricity. Even though the government offsets folks commuter costs I don't see (based on the language) them offsetting the charger / charging cost. Therefore, I don't know how it won't be cost prohibited to charge at the chargers.

Great concept in principle but it may be too expensive in practice... A few more parking spots for folks to ICE park in...

- C

Here in Minnesota there are several 50kw DC fast chargers (DCFC) that charge 20 cents per minute, which is $12 per hour, for use. Most of these are located at Goodwill stores and strip malls. As I understand the arrangement, the business hosting the charger provides the electricity, so to speak; and then the business and the charger management company split the $12/hour that the user pays. I don't think the business makes any profit directly from the charger, but I don't think they lose money either. They make the money in the additional customers who stop to use the charger. Anyway, if EV users have to pay to use the charger, which I don't think is unreasonable, then perhaps GSA can install the chargers (?).