Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feed me, Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier this year there were folks who were quite upset that there had been no new news about the 3 and I thought at the time that they just needed to relax. Well now my ability to relax is waning. It's been over eight months with no news (unless you count "oh by the way, the 3 will have all these sensors too"). Nothing about the the battery sizes, front end, trunk opening, standard features or the controls (other than that they will not be called Tesla Glass or Tesla Vision). How have there been no information leaks? Was Tesla this good at keeping things under wraps with the S/X? Did hopeful S/X buyers go this long with no news? I'm not to the point of being concerned about them falling too far behind schedule, just getting irritated by the lack of info to wet my mental whistle.

Rant over, thanks. :eek:

cec2a9217e2ee21f01abc6ae2d41b910264bd545610339ad2dbd06631e163d45.jpg

Not a day goes by while I'm commuting that I don't think about how wonderful it would be to be sporting a 3 and use the HOV lane with impunity. But I also understand the reality that it is in Musk's best interest to keep the 3 in an Apple-esque veil until next year. To make sure excitement is still building for it.

The bleed-off of reservations in the meanwhile will be negligible as most of those reservists are die-hard believers of Tesla and Musk's mission statement and who simply can't justify the expensive Model S, I think. I will be patient in the meanwhile, and see what the future brings.

Reactions: Mark C and Red Sage
As someone whose diet consists of vitamin-rich daily Tesla news I can sympathise with all of the above feels.

Truth is we aren't getting any news because we made too many pre-orders and everyone at Tesla went :eek: we better stop mentioning how cool this thing is until we can fill some of these orders...

The silver lining is there's plenty going on with SpaceX - 'splosions and whatnot. Grab some popcorn and hopefully you won't notice the wait so much :)

r/SpaceX, the premier SpaceX discussion community • /r/spacex

I will put up my hand and admit I was one of those complaining at the lack of news and especially when reveal 2 was not what some of us expected it to be. Since then however, I have managed to make better sense of why Tesla does things in a particular way.

It's all to do with striking a safe balance between keeping the interest in Model 3 alive but making sure that you don't give away too much information that the competition can benefit from. Elon has also told us that there will be a significant event related to Model 3 spring of next year so let's try and be a bit patient. That's my opinion anyway.

Reactions: Red Sage
Wouldn't it be great if once a week Tesla posted a "teaser" photo - nothing substantive, but a puzzle piece that we could talk about?
I'd rather get infrequent updates that are substantive than frequent but insubstantial extreme close-up photos or POV videos apparently shot from inside the car driving speedily and stealthily on some remote road. To me, constantly showing something that's really nothing seems more like vaporware than just remaining silent when there's nothing new you wish to share. And, in the interim, if there's some potentially damaging misinformation being promulgated, Elon can quickly set the record straight with a simple tweet. :)

While there's not much new information released by Tesla, there are some indications from ancillary sources such as leaks from suppliers (e.g., enough parts ordered for potentially 300 cars), permit applications to expand the Fremont factory, updates on the Gigafactory build-out, updates making their debut on Model S/X (e.g., AP 2.0 hardware, all-glass roof, Supercharging policy change) that progress is being made toward production of the Model 3.

Here's the thing, when the impending announcements by other EV companies like faraday future and lucid in both December and January. I'm hoping that he's simply holding something close to the chest so that he can still one up the competition.
I have a feeling the Faraday and Lucid offerings won't be in the Model 3/Bolt EV price range. More likely, they will be competitors of the Model S or X. That said, I won't be surprised if Elon throws us a bone before March/April to counter the just released Bolt EV.

The Model 3 news eats at current Model S 60 possible sales. Therefore they shouldn't keep reminding people how cool the new car is when they are still trying to sell the Model S.

Not that a Model S 60 sucks, just that people may decide to wait for a Model 3 if the perception is that it could be better bang for buck.

Reactions: garsh and Red Sage
The Model 3 news eats at current Model S 60 possible sales. Therefore they shouldn't keep reminding people how cool the new car is when they are still trying to sell the Model S.

Not that a Model S 60 sucks, just that people may decide to wait for a Model 3 if the perception is that it could be better bang for buck.
Better bang for the buck? Absolutely, it will be.

Earlier this year there were folks who were quite upset that there had been no new news about the 3 and I thought at the time that they just needed to relax. Well now my ability to relax is waning. It's been over eight months with no news (unless you count "oh by the way, the 3 will have all these sensors too"). Nothing about the the battery sizes, front end, trunk opening, standard features or the controls (other than that they will not be called Tesla Glass or Tesla Vision). How have there been no information leaks? Was Tesla this good at keeping things under wraps with the S/X? Did hopeful S/X buyers go this long with no news? I'm not to the point of being concerned about them falling too far behind schedule, just getting irritated by the lack of info to wet my mental whistle.

Rant over, thanks. :eek:

cec2a9217e2ee21f01abc6ae2d41b910264bd545610339ad2dbd06631e163d45.jpg
I noted elsewhere that Elon Musk and Tesla Motors have learned from previous mistakes.

Most notably, I have pointed out they really should not have introduced the Model X as a future vehicle before the Model S was on the road. Sure, it was only four months or so before the Model S came out, but since they thought at the time there wouldn't be much interest beyond the 10,000 or so Reservations for it, they intended to put the Model X on the market in late 2013. From my perspective, the overwhelming popularity of the Model S after it launched very necessarily pushed back the release of Model X. But to people who waited more than 2-1/2 years to get it, there is no viable excuse whatsoever.

But Tesla have made other mistakes. They announced the expected battery pack capacities and ranges for Model S ~*WAY*~ too early. They originally projected the Model S range at 320 miles with the 85 kWh battery pack, and around 230 miles with the 60 kWh battery pack, and I think they may have hoped for 180 miles for the 40 kWh battery pack. The problem was, those predictions were based on old data, gleaned from the 2-Cycle EPA test, which had a component measured at a constant 55 MPH. Now, they did down rate those projections somewhat as Production neared, to something like 300 miles, 225 miles, and 160 miles, I think. But...? When it arrived, the Model S had to be rated based upon the newer 5-Cycle EPA test instead. That resulted in a 265 mile EPA rated range for the Model S 85, 208 miles for Model S 60, and 139 miles for Model S 40. For anyone paying close attention, that was sorely embarrassing for Elon Musk.

And as was the case with Model S, they again made a mistake they thought they had prepared for with Model ☰, in that they didn't realize how much pent up demand there would be for the car. For all the Naysayers, Bears, $horts, and analysts that repeatedly claimed three years ago and ever since how much of a 'risk' the Gigafactory would be (typically pointing to Fisker, Coda, Solyndra, and A123)... Receiving hundreds of thousands of Reservations within days and weeks let Tesla know they have no need to doubt their course of action at all.

I know it is frustrating that there was so much detail that was so deftly, yet still obviously, left out of the Model ☰ Reveal Part I. But we just have to understand that Tesla simply CANNOT release that data so early this time. They have learned that keeping things close to the vest is a good and proper strategy. I know that it is sometimes infuriating that the simplest details of the Model ☰ feature set, things you KNOW ought to be there, should have been decided already, have certainly been designed by now... are treated as National Secrets not to be divulged by even the highest ranking officials.

At this point, if Tesla could just release videos that show things as simple as the LATCH system used for securing baby carriers/boosters in the rear seat, or how to manually engage or disengage the child proof door handles it would be a big hit. Some of us would like to know whether the fitted luggage is actually going to appear for the frunk. Others are desperate to learn if they will be able to specify a nice distressed saddleback leather for the interior. This guy in particular wants to know if there is any hope of a Model ☰ P135D Coupe with Falcon Wing Doors appearing prior to 2020...

And the bottom line is that we just have to wait. It's OK. I turn 50 next year. Most would be hard pressed to guess I might be in my early 30s. I've been waiting for the right electric car, just for me, since I was around six. I can wait a little while longer. That doesn't mean I'm a patient man. I'm not, but at least I'm not impatient. That is, I don't have negative quantities of patience. I don't demand things that aren't possible. These things take time. So I'll wait. And I'll have faith that Tesla Motors will satisfy my needs some day. That's a lot better than what GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, AUDI, BMW, or Mercedes-Benz will do.

Last edited:
I noted elsewhere that Elon Musk and Tesla Motors have learned from previous mistakes.

Most notably, I have pointed out they really should not have introduced the Model X as a future vehicle before the Model S was on the road. Sure, it was only four months or so before the Model S came out, but since they thought at the time there wouldn't be much interest beyond the 10,000 or so Reservations for it, they intended to put the Model X on the market in late 2013. From my perspective, the overwhelming popularity of the Model S after it launched very necessarily pushed back the release of Model X. But to people who waited more than 2-1/2 years to get it, there is no viable excuse whatsoever.

But Tesla have made other mistakes. They announced the expected battery pack capacities and ranges for Model S ~*WAY*~ too early. They originally projected the Model S range at 320 miles with the 85 kWh battery pack, and around 230 miles with the 60 kWh battery pack, and I think they may have hoped for 180 miles for the 40 kWh battery pack. The problem was, those predictions were based on old data, gleaned from the 2-Cycle EPA test, which had a component measured at a constant 55 MPH. Now, they did down rate those projections somewhat as Production neared, to something like 300 miles, 225 miles, and 160 miles, I think. But...? When it arrived, the Model S had to be rated based upon the newer 5-Cycle EPA test instead. That resulted in a 265 mile EPA rated range for the Model S 85, 208 miles for Model S 60, and 139 miles for Model S 40. For anyone paying close attention, that was sorely embarrassing for Elon Musk.

And as was the case with Model S, they again made a mistake they thought they had prepared for, in that they didn't realize how much pent up demand there would be for the car. For all the Naysayers, Bears, $horts, and analysts that repeatedly claimed three years ago and ever since how much of a 'risk' the Gigafactory would be (typically pointing to Fisker, Coda, Solyndra, and A123)... Receiving hundreds of thousands of Reservations within days and weeks let Tesla know they have no need to doubt their course of action at all.

I know it is frustrating that there was so much detail that was so deftly, yet still obviously, left out of the Model ☰ Reveal Part I. But we just have to understand that Tesla simply CANNOT release that data so early this time. They have learned that keeping things close to the vest is a good and proper strategy. I know that it is sometimes infuriating that the simplest details of the Model ☰ feature set, things you KNOW ought to be there, should have been decided already, have certainly been designed by now... are treated as National Secrets not to be divulged by even the highest ranking officials.

At this point, if Tesla could just release videos that show things as simple as the LATCH system used for securing baby carriers/boosters in the rear seat, or how to manually engage or disengage the child proof door handles it would be a big hit. Some of us would like to know whether the fitted luggage is actually going to appear for the frunk. Others are desperate to learn if they will be able to specify a nice distressed saddleback leather for the interior. This guy in particular wants to know if there is any hope of a Model ☰ P135D Coupe with Falcon Wing Doors appearing prior to 2020...

And the bottom line is that we just have to wait. It's OK. I turn 50 next year. Most would be hard pressed to guess I might be in my early 30s. I've been waiting for the right electric car, just for me, since I was around six. I can wait a little while longer. That doesn't mean I'm a patient man. I'm not, but at least I'm not impatient. That is, I don't have negative quantities of patience. I don't demand things that aren't possible. These things take time. So I'll wait. And I'll have faith that Tesla Motors will satisfy my needs some day. That's a lot better than what GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, AUDI, BMW, or Mercedes-Benz will do.
How about that.....I turn 50 next year as well . LOL

Well, just in case an unfortunate incident occurs where I get hit by an ICE bus.....let not be remiss to provide you with a very early salutation.....Happy Birthday!!!!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
How about that.....I turn 50 next year as well . LOL

Well, just in case an unfortunate incident occurs where I get hit by an ICE bus.....let not be remiss to provide you with a very early salutation.....Happy Birthday!!!!!!
I've celebrated my 50th birthday every year since I reached 40. Next year, I'll be celebrating the 15th Anniversary of My 35th Birthday. It should be a good one. I'm thinking of throwing a party, inviting longtime Friends and close Family, and having a really good band on hand.

A friend of mine got hit by a bus once...

"Hey, Al! what happened to your wrist?"

"Well... I was crossing the street..."

"Yeah?"

"...and I woke up in the hospital."

• Funny
Reactions: hoang51
I turn 50 next year. Most would be hard pressed to guess I might be in my early 30s. I've been waiting for the right electric car, just for me, since I was around six. I can wait a little while longer.
OMG that's so close to my own experience it's uncanny to the point of being slightly scary. Except for the minor detail of looking 30, if it weren't for the grey beard I bet only our mothers can tell us apart.

• Funny
OMG that's so close to my own experience it's uncanny to the point of being slightly scary. Except for the minor detail of looking 30, if it weren't for the grey beard I bet only our mothers can tell us apart.
I got some toy electric cars, with lots of flashing lights, I think one of them was a police cruiser, for my birthday when I turned five or so. I think they used D-sized battery cells, and those took up a lot of the body. But I really enjoyed those things. Then, I got my first slot car racing set for Christmas when I turned six. That did it. I was hooked. And somewhere, in the back of my mind, I've been asking myself, even about ICE cars I really liked, "Why isn't this an electric car?" ever since. So, yeah... If I'm in an EV Cult, I joined when Elon Musk was two years old. So, it's not his fault. He lived around 10,000 miles away.

I think what their doing is fine. I'd rather get updates closer to actual production that were less likely to change than more frequent, further out, ones that may or may not actually end up being correct.

Also, think of it this way, it's been about 9 months since we all put our money down, it should only be another 3 and a half months or so until we have all the details and another 5 months or so before some of us start getting our cars!! So, we're about half way there!!

The silver lining is there's plenty going on with SpaceX - 'splosions and whatnot. Grab some popcorn and hopefully you won't notice the wait so much :)

I have been going through SpaceX withdrawal. When they turned Zuckerbergs satellite into a billion pieces it wasn't live. Since then we have to wait 4+ months to the next time we see if they land or blowup another rocket.