Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback and suggestions regarding the Model S Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
After the whirlwind ride in the beta last weekend and then, an up close experience with the red signature beta at the Tesla Menlo Park store earlier today, here are my gripes with the Model S Beta that I honestly feel Tesla ought to address to keep me interested:

1) The interior was very lacking; it looked stark, spartan and hardly luxurious. To compare it to the competition (such as a BMW 5 or a Lexus GS), I didn't have the same sense that I was experiencing something special in the Model S Beta as I did when checking out the finished BMW or Lexus at their dealerships! Unlike the exterior which was excellent, the interior looked like it was just cobbled together without the same degree of attention to detail. To use a harsh word, it looked cheap!

2) The leather seats were very ordinary and not worthy of a $57k+ car. They weren't supportive enough in both the front and back. And, both the driver and the passenger seats ought to be 8-way adjustable.

3) The standout feature of the interior, the 17" touchscreen, looked sorely out of place. It looked like a bland computer monitor slapped in there; it didn't blend in into the dash like it did in the prototype. It had other problems such as heavy glare and poor off-angle viewing from the front passenger seat.

4) Where's the in-dash storage space? There ought to be a lot of it given the frunk right ahead.

5) My only gripe with the exterior is the wonky-looking chargeport door! It didn't blend in at all and stuck out like a sore thumb. At the least, the door (and its peer reflector on the passenger side) ought to be extended all the way to the top to make it more organic; here's a mockup:

View attachment 2964

UPDATE: Heard from a Tesla employee on 10/09 confirming that many of these concerns (such as the seats, the fit and finish) were already scheduled to be addressed and that, they are actively watching this forum and others for feedback such as this. So, bottomline, do take all my points above with a bag of salt :smile: I've updated my title to a more harmonious "Feedback and suggestions regarding the Model S Beta".

Doug, thanks for updating the thread title!

Made a follow-up post with more info from talking to the Tesla employee: Feedback and suggestions regarding the Model S Beta

Last edited:
I agree on the interior wholeheartedly. It was the most disappointing part of the car for me. The tail lights are growing on me, but they are indeed a weak point on the exterior for me.

Also, I think the karmas gauges look better. If I'm not mistaken, they're a mix of screen and physical bits.

When I talked to a salesperson at Tesla a few weeks ago in LA, I got the distinct impression they got the interior together last minute. He didn't say that explicitly, but what he said gave me that impression. My guess is they're still working on the interior.

I agree the interior was weak, and I do not like the taillights.
Anyone notice in the interior shots there is a big shade over the speedo LCD? If that is necessary for the speedo LCD, why is it not for the center screen?
I hope they have a solution for the glare - the Prius has a small touchscreen in the center, and it is unusable if the sun comes in at the right angle.

agreed on all points, especially the seats. For a car that promises class leading handling i would expect much more lateral support.

other observations:
-no storage/pockets in doors or seat backs.
-didn't see any cup holders for back seat occupants.
-no side bars/grab bars.
-need sliding sun screen for panoramic roof. (I’m pretty sure someone a Tesla said that was in the works)
-the nose cone is better but still needs some help. not really sure what, perhaps just less glossy.
-that chrome accent strip below the doors just looks weired to me. Gives the illusion that the doors extend down more than the other body panels. Maybe it should run the full length from wheel opening to wheel opening or just be eliminated entirely.

Last edited:
I thought the gauge cluster outline would be more cool if it matched the outside shape of the front grill.
IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

Softer like the Alfa interior feels.

Wasn't at the event, but from the pictures I have to agree with most of your points (can't comment on the lateral support in the seats). I think extending the console to include drive selector buttons and cup holders will go a long way to making the dash look more refined. I think Franz intended to show off the humpless floor, but in my mind it's a design fail.

My thought is to swoop it down from the touchscreen to where it links up to the armrest -- but don't extend it to the floor. Have the center console act like sort of a bridge between the dash and the armrest. You can still play footsies underneath, but gain a lot of usable surface area.

Still, I'm not liking the idea that packages and purses from the passenger side can slide under the driver's feet while showing off some fancy slaloms.

I for one really like the simplicity and minimalist dash. I can't stand button and overly clutter dashs that plague luxury brand cars. I do have to agree that they should shape the driver's instrument panel the same as the grill, but I find it nice now too.

My pet peeve are the seats which are probably going to be change/refined

But overall I like the direction the tesla is going with the interior.

I'm a bit ambivalent on the dash, but stuff sliding along the end of the passenger footwell and then interfering with the pedals is not a a nice scenario. I'd gladly close up more of that space and get more interior storage space in the dash and doors.

I would also like to adress the need for a rear window windshield wiper. Currently I can't see any windshield wipers front or rear, but I assume the front ones are there. I really really want a wiper in the back, my current sedan doesn't have that and it's really annoying.

Looking at the current Focus, it has automatically adjusted front headlights which is nice as well as a rain sensor for the wind shield wipers which also is very usefull. Not to forget the autodimming rear view mirror.

Cobos

Edit: typos, thanks TEG

Last edited:
Still, I'm not liking the idea that packages and purses from the passenger side can slide under the driver's feet while showing off some fancy slaloms.

Maybe it is not the same on all betas, but in general there are two dividers, which seem to create a large open storage space there, but certainly keep things from sliding over from the passenger side:

Photos from Sunday, October 2, 2011 (Model S event))
attachment.php?attachmentid=2923.jpg

Last edited:
I think the point of the thread is to react to what we've seen, and hopefully have a chance to influence the final form. Saying "well, its only the beta" and just hoping it looks better in the final is probably less useful.

In this video : http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6505-Driving-the-Model-S-Sedan-at-the-Tesla-Factory-Track-%28In-the-Rain%29 they say the car was ready the day before the factory-presentation! In an other video I heard there was a lot of rapidprototyping!
so complaining about the finish of the car is verry premature I guess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a prototype!!!!!!!
Did anyone sit in prototypes of other OEM's????????????????????
compare apples with apples!!!!!!!!!!!

+1. And maybe it would have been better to call the thread something like "Suggestions, Wishes and Recommendations" rather than making it about complaints with a sad face?