Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback and suggestions regarding the Model S Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1. And maybe it would have been better to call the thread something like "Suggestions, Wishes and Recommendations" rather than making it about complaints with a sad face?

Ditto, Nigel - exactly what I've been thinking. I'm sure this is all valuable input to Tesla, but perhaps we could offer it under a less confrontational thread name. It IS a beta, there is still work to be done (or production would be beginning this year).

+1. And maybe it would have been better to call the thread something like "Suggestions, Wishes and Recommendations" rather than making it about complaints with a sad face?

I agree with Nigel. Juding by the pictures I think the seats were too flat and did not provide enough bolstering. I think the tail lights are fine but the side reflector could go all the way up. I think the charger door is fine and I understand the logic behind not having a door on the body of the vehicle. The interior could go for an update and the Beta 2 will hopefully offer more details.

I'm not sure anyone here is assuming this is the final design? We all knew the alphas weren't final but we did have discussions about the nose cones didn't we? Same with the prototypes.

We know it's not final, but we can still discuss what we do and don't like. With all the talk in various threads, I think it was a fine idea to create a dedicated thread to combine the feedback.

Also cobos, there's a video showing the model s in the rain. It does have wipers, but I'm not sure it's clear whether they're automatic or not. Not many sedans have rear wipers and I don't think the a7 does either (closest car to the s)

At the factory tour, a few times I heard people say something like "this is what it will look like in production."
I heard that more from the "lower level" people so perhaps they weren't completely authoritative, but I did get the sense they are trying to "lock things down" as they need to focus on getting production ready, not more changes.

With that said, it was clear that they are still not totally 100% done with the overall design.

Never meant the thread title to be confrontational (my personality doesn't allow me to be, even if I wanted to :smile:) but, yeah, the concern is that "> 90% close to production intent" would imply that Tesla may not be willing/able to make wholesale changes to the interior anymore. That's my concern really; what appears to be a wonderful car otherwise - the exterior, the driving feel, the eco-credentials - might get derailed (atleast in the eyes of a few potential buyers if not some of us existing reservation holders) by a relatively sub-par interior...

Although I didn't see the beta in person, based on what I've read and seen on this forum, one of my concerns is regarding safety. I understand from many that the driver and passenger can play footsie due to the lack of a transmission hump. I always have a concern of something in the footwell shifting while driving and getting behind the brake or wedging the accelerator down. I think it would be smart to isolate the driver's feet and pedals for safety reasons.

I'm not sure anyone here is assuming this is the final design? We all knew the alphas weren't final but we did have discussions about the nose cones didn't we? Same with the prototypes.

We know it's not final, but we can still discuss what we do and don't like. With all the talk in various threads, I think it was a fine idea to create a dedicated thread to combine the feedback.

Also cobos, there's a video showing the model s in the rain. It does have wipers, but I'm not sure it's clear whether they're automatic or not. Not many sedans have rear wipers and I don't think the a7 does either (closest car to the s)
It seems you are right about the A7 not having rear window wipers, but for someone that had a hatchback with wipers it feels really stupid to stop the car to manually wipe the rear window to be able to use the rear view mirror. Sometimes during spring and autumn there is so much pollen you need to wipe down the rear window before every trip. Not to mention when it snows and rains so badly that the heating wires can't handle it. So my point is that regardless of what other cars do, it's a very usefull addition. Try a car with it in non-California weather and you will see :)

Cobos

In my experience, sedans don't need rear wipers but hatchbacks do. Dirty water from the road gets sucked back onto the rear of the car, and if the window is right there it gets covered. This is especially problematic in areas where they salt the roads in winter (i.e. here).

Door handles

OK, I know have been harping about this a little bit in other threads, but the idea of the protruding handles just doesn't land with me. The idea of waiting a second before opening the door is not appealing, not to mention the potential of it bumping into things, scratching other cars when extended, etc etc. (I don't think I'll ever get past the fear of getting my fingers stuck in it either...)

I know the idea is for it to be flush with the body, but can't they do it a mechanical way, like Aston Martin?

UPDATE: Heard from a Tesla employee on 10/09 confirming that many of these concerns (such as the seats, the fit and finish) were already scheduled to be addressed and that, they are actively watching this forum and others for feedback such as this. So, bottomline, do take all my input with a bag of salt :smile: I've edited the first post accordingly.

While I agree with you Trnsl8r that solid feeling "thumb flipper" manual flush handles would be better, I think Elon is totally committed to the "magic" handles. Hopefully the final design will work well.

If we're stuck with it, here's how I think it should work:

As the person possessing a key (driver or passenger) approaches their door, the handle should automatically extend for them. The other doors remain locked unless a key holder presses a button on the key.

When the car door is opened from the inside, the handle should extend so that an external person can assist with the door if desired and so it can be used as a pushing point to close the door and keep finger prints off the paint job.

Once the door is closed, then the handle wouldn't withdraw until a few seconds afterward. It goes without saying that it should not be possible to be injured if your naked or gloved fingers are still holding the handle.

Again, I sure hope they use satin chrome for the handles for fingerprint reasons. Frankly, I'd prefer them to be the same color as the rest of the body so they nearly disappear when flush.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I wasn't at the "event", but I am still wondering about the center strorage/cupholder/armrest. It seems from pictures to be fairly towards the rear of the seat, particularly if there is a cup in the holder. I can't stand the way Mercedes does it currently in the "E" class where the cupholder is in the center console which also acts as an armrest. So if you have something in the cupholder (I almost always do), you can't comfortably use the armrest. I know nobody was in a position to judge from the driver's seat but it seemed to me from photos that there is plenty of room to have the armrest extend further forward to be more useable, with or without a cup in the holder....

Although I didn't see the beta in person, based on what I've read and seen on this forum, one of my concerns is regarding safety. I understand from many that the driver and passenger can play footsie due to the lack of a transmission hump. I always have a concern of something in the footwell shifting while driving and getting behind the brake or wedging the accelerator down. I think it would be smart to isolate the driver's feet and pedals for safety reasons.
Can't you see the divider between the footwells here?:

attachment.php?attachmentid=2923.jpg

Tesla seems to have enough people with years of experience in the car business, I would think they could build a car with a decent interior. I think it's probably best to wait until later in the year or spring when options are announced and more production intent cars are built.

Can't you see the divider between the footwells here?:

I guess I didn't see that. But that is acceptable. It will keep debris from under the driver's foot.

And since this is a "suggestions" thread, I would like to make one regarding that bin on the floor. It looks large and without structure or cover. I realize that a space that large could have multiple uses, each different for each driver. Unless you only put one object in there, as you drive, smaller items will slide around and mix into a big pile. Perhaps a modular divider system could be employed to keep smaller objects organized after driving. OR something I loved from my 2001 Lexus was a "cool" box for keeping drinks/water, that was great before, but now that I have kids, it would be EVEN BETTER.

While I agree with you Trnsl8r that solid feeling "thumb flipper" manual flush handles would be better, I think Elon is totally committed to the "magic" handles. Hopefully the final design will work well.

That's probably the biggest problem right now, the "losing face" part if they abandon the design at this point. :frown: It's OK Tesla, we won't think less of you...

What I would like to see is the ability to purchase modular charging sockets that plug into a standard receptacle, say insider the boot\trunk or frunk that would allow you to configure your car to suit your local conditions such as a Chademo port or J1772 etc. Then it would be nice to be able to have an invisible door in the grill or boot lid to pass you cable through but stll keep the car secure. I agree with Tesla that SAE standard looks cumbersome, but I think early adopters will need a degree of flexibility to charge off the currently installed infrastructure.