Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback and suggestions regarding the Model S Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please put the cruise control on the left side of the steering wheel at the bottom. That's where it is on bmw's, and it's the perfect spot. I can steer and work the cruise with one hand, while the other is free to drink coffee etc.

I love the door handles as they are. In case you haven't read the features page on the Tesla website, the handles will pop out as your approach the car with the key in your pocket. So you should never have to wait for them to extend etc.

- mnx

Please put the cruise control on the left side of the steering wheel at the bottom. That's where it is on bmw's, and it's the perfect spot. I can steer and work the cruise with one hand, while the other is free to drink coffee etc....

And the regen setting controls on the other side like the Prius CC!

I like the idea of trying to keep the area in front of the central armrest as clear as possible - all part of the look-no-transmission-tunnel appeal.

Can a briefcase fit into that space or do the two sidewalls that run along either side need to be higher to stop it tipping? Can a (Tesla branded) briefcase slide backwards, under the armrest?

Can the cupholders fold out from the inside surfaces of the sidewalls, so that the bases of any cups rest on the floor? Can the floor of that whole central section be an easy-clean surface (no carpet?) - and any beverage spills are safely contained between the sidewalls in this central "tray"?

Still not sure what to do with the central VDS.

Last edited:
Wife and I went to Menlo on Saturday afternoon to be able to spend some quality time in Model S. She HATES the gear selector. She wishes it would be like the Roadster as it feels more futuristic and is more intuitive than a stalk. We both like the door handles - we even got to play w/ them on Saturday. They work well. I agree with whoever posted earlier that if you hit the "unlock" button on the fob the driver's handle should extend immediately and if you hit it again then all handles should extend. That way you don't have to "wait" for the handles to extend. There's definitely some lost opportunity in the center storage area and one of the salespeople there on Saturday said they're going to be working on that area.

We're also worried about the distraction factor of the center screen. Drivers can't even talk on the phone or use a standard GPS while driving. WTF will happen when they're surfing the web and doing e-mail? I think my wife shocked the salesperson when she asked, "where's the button to blank the center screen?"

On the plus side, we like the exterior, the frunk, and LOVE the panoramic roof. Interested to drive it, as looking at it, it's quite a large vehicle. Hopefully it'll feel small on the road.

Oh, if Tesla is reading this, make sure there are LATCH anchors for car seats!

After digging around a bit (across the BMW/Lexus/Infiniti/Acura brands), found the closest match to the Model S's dash: The 2011 Acura RL!

2011-Acura-RL-interior-1.jpg

Note how the dash flows well from left to right and the center is similar to the Model S's touchscreen "rectangle" but, blends well into the overall scheme unlike in the Model S (in my opinion):

day-mode.jpg

I think bringing back the center console and designing it well for ample storage/cupholders/PRND-buttons while allowing the touchscreen console to "flow into" the storage area would still be the best design bet. I'll raise this with the Tesla contact and see how it goes.

Oh, if Tesla is reading this, make sure there are LATCH anchors for car seats!

At least the two side rear seats will have them -- it's federal law. It's possible (and awesome) if they put them in the center rear seat, but that's not something a lot of car manufacturers do in their sedans, particularly the ones that Tesla is "competing" with (BMW, Audi, MB etc.).

I doubt that the two way-back (backety-back?) seats would have latch -- they look more like booster seats, and are probably intended for any child out of a regular car seat (I think they listed ages at 4-11).

I doubt that the two way-back (backety-back?) seats would have latch -- they look more like booster seats, and are probably intended for any child out of a regular car seat (I think they listed ages at 4-11).
The jump-seats are sitting on top of the motor and are back to back with the normal rear seats. Agree on your points.

Agree with the last coupl'a comments about PRND buttons - shift selector sticks remind of me my first car about *ahem* 30 years ago......and I love my Roadster buttons.
I'll disagree here. I think a shift lever is better than pressing buttons. Pressing buttons requires you to look at them. I expect this to be much nicer than those old the steering column mounted shifters you're probably thinking of. Here there are only a few positions; all the way one way is forward, the other way, reverse. I think it would come naturally fairly quickly.

Many Roadster 1.5 drivers tell me they prefer their shift lever to the 2.x buttons.

My concern would be that you could accidentally bump that tiny lever. Hopefully there will be some sort of interlock to prevent accidental shifts.

My wife's been driving a MB for 5 years with the exact gear stalk that is in the Betas and neither of us have had the "accidential" hit on it. When I go from my car (Lexus hybrid) to hers, I'll sometimes inadvertantly try to use it to put on the windshield wipers, but it doesn't move while the car is in motion and/or the brake isn't depressed. It's perfectly safe and not in the way at all, and frankly becomes fairly intuitive after awhile. I think whatever you have (buttons, shift lever, stalk etc.) you'd get used to after a period of time.