Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback from BMW or other premium brand converts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new model 3 owner here. I've owned the car for a total of 2 days. I'm moving from a 528i

For the model 3, I love the tech, acceleration, convenient charging options (home or office), plenty of trunk space.

I feel the interior is inferior as compared to a BMW 5 series. I also think that the ride in the Model 3 is less comfortable and more noisy. May be I need to play more with the lumbar setting. Not sure what could be done about the noise.

I'm very concerned about the overall reliability of the Model 3 over a typical 8 to 10 year ownership period. I'm also concerned about the resale value down the road, when all BIG Auto manufacturers inject their half priced EVs in to the market..

Will appreciate comments from people who have thought through these topics.

I'm in the 7 day trial period and believe it or not, despite the Awesome driving experience and tech, I remain concerned and am not sure if I should keep the Model 3..

Brand new model 3 owner here. I've owned the car for a total of 2 days. I'm moving from a 528i

For the model 3, I love the tech, acceleration, convenient charging options (home or office), plenty of trunk space.

I feel the interior is inferior as compared to a BMW 5 series. I also think that the ride in the Model 3 is less comfortable and more noisy. May be I need to play more with the lumbar setting. Not sure what could be done about the noise.

I'm very concerned about the overall reliability of the Model 3 over a typical 8 to 10 year ownership period. I'm also concerned about the resale value down the road, when all BIG Auto manufacturers inject their half priced EVs in to the market..

I'm in the 7 day trial period and believe it or not, despite the Awesome driving experience and tech, I remain concerned and am not sure if I should keep the Model 3..
Ok my 2 KW worth. All of your concerns I share. I took delivery of a 2018 July build a few weeks ago and immediately took a 5K resale hit. I didn’t know when I might get a 2019 VIN because much of what I’ve read said that at the time the production of M 3s was headed overseas and my trade in was locked in, so I semi reluctantly accepted the car. Maybe I got lucky. The car inside and out is perfect. Yes I’ve had some issues with the MCU but resetting it has always resolved the issues. I got a firmware update the day I brought my car home that got me 325 miles of range. I got the latest firmware update yesterday which gave me a 5% power increase. Yeah I can feel the acceleration. All the panels are aligned pretty well, so I can say the fit and finish is better than most cars. I don’t know how well my 3 will hold up down the road, but based on my 3 weeks experience, I expect it will be fine. Plus Tesla just said that maintenance on the Model 3 going forward will be as needed. YMMV. I find if I spend an inordinate amount of time on the forums I will make myself crazy looking for things that may or may not actually be wrong with the car. For the time being I’m just going to enjoy my car. My Mom always told me “Don’t trouble trouble until trouble troubles you” Just enjoy your car. I’m enjoying mine. Have a great evening.

when all BIG Auto manufacturers inject their half priced EVs in to the market..

Just an opinion, so take it for what it is.

I will believe it when i see it. The problem is not model design,or new auto lines, or even the fact that these manufacturers just have to cut corners on EVs to protect their still existing ICE business in some way.

The problem is battery supply. There might be models galore coming from other companies, but it would still be a volume issue because of it. W*h volume is just not there. 7-8 years down the road... maybe.

But then i thought the same thing in 2012 when Model S appeared.

There's still no other mass volume for 70+ kwh packs but Tesla ones today. Even Tesla volume is incredibly limited when compared to the existing ICE units/y volume.

I don't think the real choice will appear until any car manufacturer is able to roll at least half a million 70..100 kwh-rated packs a year. Some would need millions. I am not talking about 16-30 kwh packs, they do not make for a practical volume EV.

In US the problem is further exacerbated by the charging infrastructure. Either you are a Tesla, or PHEV (beyond local 50mile/day commute). Sierra trips are not terribly viable in 25kwh, and/or 45kw peak rate-chargeable autos.

To the arguments about 35k M3 exterior looking the same way as 70k one, i would say maybe these people do not need an EV at all. I would say a good hair stylist and a Bentley would do more good than an M3 of any price given these optimization goals.

Bottom line, in US i think we are good with Teslas for the next 7-8 years. They will not get either obsolete or depreciate overnight. (yes. even given that a lot of things beyond drive train are somewhat irritatingly cheesy or senseless in them today).

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott7
I had a 2016 BMW 428Xi which I loved. I am now in the Model 3 RWD Mid-Range. I really like the Tesla and enjoy driving it. Some things I miss - satellite radio, open air sunroof, auto open and close trunk, in-mirror blind spot and turn indicators, perfectly delivered robust paint in gorgeous color (I have white Tesla that was delivered with dust spots and required 3 weeks to repaint) and supple leather interior, superior fit and trim. The only thing I don't miss is iDrive Nav (horrible) and the abundance of buttons! Overall, BMW makes a fantastic car and I may return once they bring electric to the mainstream line.

After taking delivery of the Model3 you will immediately want to start modifications many of which should be standard or personalization options. When installing the options you will notice the Model3 is a cheap modular vehicle. Watch Rich Rebuilds and I1Tesla and you will see how it all snaps together, carpeting is velcro'd in, everything pulls/pops out, dim lighting, etc. I was excited for Enhanced Auto Pilot and many of those innovations but, frankly they are not baked and will scare you into not trusting them at high-speeds. When the Model3 Standards start shipping we will all be driving expensive common cars. Superchargers will be overrun and nobody will know your $70K Model 3 Performance from the average Model3. If it existed, soon we will equate it to owning a $70K Toyota Camry.

I love having gone electric and will also be getting solar installed (not from Tesla). That said, I am holding firm with my Model3 but, as the industry and market develops I will likely get back to a true automaker. Tesla is a fickle tech company with fantastic vision but the execution and experience to date Dec 2018-Mar 2019 has been suspect! Good luck.
Come on now a Camry . The standard range isn’t much different then your MR get off your high horse . Also a SR is closer in price to a 3 series then a Camry .

I've owned a variety of BMWs and Audis since 1996. Lots has been covered in this thread already. My only comment is in regards to EAP, where I strongly disagree with some of the earlier comments. EAP has been the single, most important revelation for me. I've used it on a 3,000 mile road-trip from SF to Calgary, a number of SF to LA trips, and weekly for 7-hour drives from SF to ski in Lake Tahoe; the latter of which involve less than ideal conditions. It's a driving aid so yes you still need to "drive", but there's nothing more comforting and luxurious than having it do its thing and allowing you to free up some headspace while driving. I watch over what it does, and it watches over things that I might miss, and that's a great combination. I arrive at my destinations without feeling drained from what are typically monotonous drives. I won't own another vehicle without it.

Wait! You are less concerned about a BMW 5 series reliability in 8-10 years?!? Is this your first BMW?

I’ve had 5 and they will eat you alive outside of warranty. So many plastic door and cooling system components.

Ok my 2 KW worth. All of your concerns I share. I took delivery of a 2018 July build a few weeks ago and immediately took a 5K resale hit. I didn’t know when I might get a 2019 VIN because much of what I’ve read said that at the time the production of M 3s was headed overseas and my trade in was locked in, so I semi reluctantly accepted the car. Maybe I got lucky. The car inside and out is perfect. Yes I’ve had some issues with the MCU but resetting it has always resolved the issues. I got a firmware update the day I brought my car home that got me 325 miles of range. I got the latest firmware update yesterday which gave me a 5% power increase. Yeah I can feel the acceleration. All the panels are aligned pretty well, so I can say the fit and finish is better than most cars. I don’t know how well my 3 will hold up down the road, but based on my 3 weeks experience, I expect it will be fine. Plus Tesla just said that maintenance on the Model 3 going forward will be as needed. YMMV. I find if I spend an inordinate amount of time on the forums I will make myself crazy looking for things that may or may not actually be wrong with the car. For the time being I’m just going to enjoy my car. My Mom always told me “Don’t trouble trouble until trouble troubles you” Just enjoy your car. I’m enjoying mine. Have a great evening.
Mine was built around that time and it doesn’t have any of the issues of some of the earlier cars either.

I have had M3's, currently have a Porsche 997 and my wife has an 18 Audi Q7. I picked up my M3P in early February. As others have pointed out acceleration is fantastic. I really like the car and some of the tech. The Audi assist in my opinion is much better than EAP. I find EAP inconsistent, turns off for no reason, gets twitchy, and the stop and go in traffic is not near as smooth as the Audi. It is a different driving experience and right now I like it. I took the Porsche out today and that is a completely different experience that I love as well. Daily driver the Tesla wins.

Wait! You are less concerned about a BMW 5 series reliability in 8-10 years?!? Is this your first BMW?

I’ve had 5 and they will eat you alive outside of warranty. So many plastic door and cooling system components.

I was going to comment on this same thing about the 3 Series I had for 10 years. BMW is probably partially responsible for my love of electric powertrains that have so few moving parts or gaskets (to wear out and replace).

Reactions: destructure00
Come on now a Camry . The standard range isn’t much different then your MR get off your high horse . Also a SR is closer in price to a 3 series then a Camry .
  1. No high horse here. I bought cheapest Model 3 available at the time. The OP was talking about a Model3 Performance which is significantly more expensive.
  2. I am saying the market will be flooded with Model 3s and will be as common as a Camry/Accord, etc. So don’t buy a Model 3 if you intend to stand out.
  3. :cheers:

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Common_Loon
It’s honestly the only American car that appeals to the European import people

It might also be the only American car that appeals to mainstream buyers in Europe. :)

And to add my two cents: overall I am very happy with my Model 3. Driving it is a joy, the seats are tremendously comfortable, the white interior and large glass roof make for a really roomy feel, yet some things are definitely worse than even on much cheaper German cars:

- paint quality is quite bad in many spots, no match for even the cheapest Dacia
- EAP is far worse than the current generation of comparable systems by Audi, BMW or Merc
- software niggles galore (rain sensing wipers total crap, phone and LTE connectivity sketchy, Homelink doesn't work at all even though hard- and software was specified as compatible, navigation much worse than the Google maps version, ...)
- build quality while ok overall came with some typical Tesla issues: headliner dirty, front passenger side door card fitted incorrectly, trunk light not working, plastic floor cover below door sill on both sides loose (good thing my PPF installer noticed and told me, otherwise it would have fallen off on my next trip along the Autobahn!)
- interior noise in tremendous. Must be those hard Hankook 19'' tires plus less sound insulation than on comparable cars. Our e-Golf is so quiet by comparison, the difference is mind-boggling.

Note: all these items are only on my car and from my personal experience. So YMMV.

It might also be the only American car that appeals to mainstream buyers in Europe. :)

And to add my two cents: overall I am very happy with my Model 3. Driving it is a joy, the seats are tremendously comfortable, the white interior and large glass roof make for a really roomy feel, yet some things are definitely worse than even on much cheaper German cars:

- paint quality is quite bad in many spots, no match for even the cheapest Dacia
- EAP is far worse than the current generation of comparable systems by Audi, BMW or Merc
- software niggles galore (rain sensing wipers total crap, phone and LTE connectivity sketchy, Homelink doesn't work at all even though hard- and software was specified as compatible, navigation much worse than the Google maps version, ...)
- build quality while ok overall came with some typical Tesla issues: headliner dirty, front passenger side door card fitted incorrectly, trunk light not working, plastic floor cover below door sill on both sides loose (good thing my PPF installer noticed and told me, otherwise it would have fallen off on my next trip along the Autobahn!)
- interior noise in tremendous. Must be those hard Hankook 19'' tires plus less sound insulation than on comparable cars. Our e-Golf is so quiet by comparison, the difference is mind-boggling.

Note: all these items are only on my car and from my personal experience. So YMMV.

You have criticized Tesla, be prepared for ostracization and possibly punches to your nutsack for as long as this abhorrent behavior of yours continues.

P.S. // if more Tesla owners were more critical of these things the quality would already have improved by now.

Last edited: